Open Forum

View Only

Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

• 1.  Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-07-2014 13:26
    Who is acknowledged in the curtain call?
    We are having a debate among theatre directors. After two different performances, one high school, one professional,  the directors brought the tech running staff onstage for a bow. What do you think?
    How are your technical students recognized? 

-------------------------------------------
    Gai Jones
    Ojai CA

• 2.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-07-2014 14:01
    That's an interesting question. We've done it both ways here. I let the techies make the decision on if they would like to participate in curtain call. In all but 2 cases the techies don't want to be a part of it. They like staying backstage. That idea seems to have become part of the culture of our department. We do honor techies in other ways though. We have what a re called the "Tempting Techies" awards that are given out at the same time we do MLT's, or Most Likely To, for the actors. The Tempting Techies are chosen, and awarded by, my student production team. We also have an Outstanding Techie Award in our our night of honors, awards, and inductions, and have had a techie receive the MVP award as well.
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 08:06
    I have found most of my Tech Crew loves the recognition and wants to be included with the curtain call.  They enjoy it and look forward to that moment.  In the High School setting where you have spent months and many weekends building it seems really appropriate.  I also think its great for the parents as well who would also like to see their child recognized just as much as the student!  In High School Theatre we rely on parents for a lot of support so I think this only makes sense.  My tech students build almost our entire show with little adult help so they are a proud bunch.  It takes a long time and many mistakes, and re-builds take place, but I think that just gives them more investment in the project when they finally finish it!

I agree with asking them and see if they want to, and if they do make sure you include them!

Rachel Engel
    Pittsburgh PA

• 4.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 08:32
    Our tech crew is NOT included in a curtain call. We make sure that the performers understand that they are accepting applause for the entire company not just for themselves. We also insist that performers treat their crew well throughout the entire process. Saying thank you for any call or assistance and being kind when crew is doing their job to make the performers look their best.

We try to teach the crew that their place is behind the curtain and that if they want to be performers, too, that they should hone their skills and audition for the show. Our crew is duly acknowledged in the program and on social media and other forms of publicity. Crew members have equal status in all pre-show rituals and are called upon to speak in our senior circle. 

I think it is important for each member of the company to learn their role and to fulfill it to the greatest degree possible. For the most part I think our crew members like it this way. They enjoy being part of the process and making their very important contributions in the darkness instead of under the lights. 

On a related topic, I have never indulged in a director's curtain call. When I sense a company's desire to give me one I let them know in my own subtle ways that I would prefer this kind of acknowledgement to remain private and within the company -- not in public. 

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 5.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 09:06
    I have always preferred that crew remains backstage but have recently started including the run crew in the curtain call and they absolutely love it.  It would be unwieldy to include the whole construction and painting crew, but allowing the run crew the bow makes them feel integral to the performance, and I think this will extend to the construction crew as well.  At the high school level, I'm all for it.  Let's acknowledge every student we can!

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 6.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 10:04
    I was taught a an early age that curtain call was for actors only.  I don't go up and take a bow and that is the example I set for techies.  We honor our techies at our final awards night.  I've never had a complaint about this.  On occasion, Students had planned a "call up" at the end of curtain call.  You know, call up all the people who helped them and give little presents.  Techies always come out on stage for that.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 7.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 10:52
    In reading the posts, I wasn't too surprised by the differences of opinion. We had the same debate in our district a few years ago. Pretty evenly split. I completely understand the idea of emulating a professional approach, and strive to teach the kids how theater should work and also take students to see professional shows at least once a year, but, the reason we have technical students come on in their blacks to take bows ( rehearsed of course) is for advertising purposes. When the tech crew comes on stage to take the bow, it becomes very apparent that much more is involved with a production than being on stage. Our students design, build, call, and run every show. When they are all spread across our stage, it shows that our program isn't run by gnomes or magical fairies, and that it takes a lot of work. Trust me, a lot of audience members ( parents) do not consider it. The other way of recognizing the tech crew beyond the program is by placing their head shots in the lobby along with the actors. I completely agree with the comment about not taking a director's bow. ------------------------------------------- Ed Como Tempe AZ -------------------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-12-2014 17:39
    I like Ed's answer.  In high school you have some tech students who prefer to be behind the curtain even though they are taking the same theatre classes as the actors.  I think that they should be honored for their participation.  If you've ever worked in a youth theatre situation, you know how hard it can be to get students to do tech when they've only auditioned to be stars.

Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR

• 9.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 11:12
    Our Tech Crew always comes out for curtain call, minus the ones in the booth.  The cast comes out first, takes one bow together, then parts in the middle and the tech crew comes out and takes one bow, then the whole company lines up and bows together.

Mike Morris
    Harrison OH

• 10.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 12:31
    I am very old school and we do not acknowledge the crew at all during curtain call. Having the running crew take a bow ignores the other supporting crew members such as the builders, costumers, etc. I have seen where the actors point to the orchestra and then to upper reachs of the auditorium to acknowledge the crew. Most school theatre audiences have no idea who they are applauding at that time.
    That said I have found that a heartfelt thanks from a cast member is enough to make most of my hardened crew members cry. They very rarely get thanks from the cast for the very long hours that they put in to support the production and in most cases are treated like servants because they are not as "talented" as actors. Getting thanks from the adults (ie tech director, director) is not the same. Hearing a director tell the cast to thank the crew is also not the same. The crew is looking for thanks from the people that they are making look better. Instilling a sense that everyone is equally as talented, just in different areas, helps a lot. After a very difficult tech show, one of the supporting actors came over to the crew and thanked them for everything they did to make the production a success and the crew was talking about that for weeks. It made a much bigger impression on the crew than applause ever would.

Victor Pilolla
    River Grove IL

• 11.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 14:51
    At my school there is a long running tradition of bringing the tech crew on at the end of the final preformance's curtain call. They are all given flowers by the cast.
    I have found this to be a very pleasant tradition, on one condition: I tell my students to keep it short. An audience who has just sat politely through a 2 hour show shouldn't be subjected to an awards ceremony while they're feeling around for their car keys.
    Billy Houck
    Sunnyvale CA

• 12.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 15:10
    I was always of the philosophy that I wanted my students to be as professional as possible, so for years when I was directing high school I did not have my tech students participate in the curtain call.

After moving to a new district and taking the middle school position, I watched the high school tech crews take the stage first during curtain call.  At first, it drove me crazy to see these backstage roles brought before the audience, as if we were revealing some deep secret.  Then I overheard a parent after a show comment on how much she appreciated getting to see her student appear on stage to snap a picture since everything he had ever done in the theatre was behind the scenes.  She loved getting to see him on stage in his black clothing.  Since then, I have always allowed the techies to take the stage first.  I go to the booth and run the lights/sound so they can all make their appearance.  

I realized it's all about meeting the needs of your students and their audience!

Lynnae Lathrop
    MS Speech and Drama teacher
    Waukee Comm. School District
    Waukee IA

• 13.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-08-2014 17:21
    This is an often discussed question-usually with new theatre students and their parents. 

In our department Technicians are always on par with the actors. (Technicians-never "Techies." We don't call actors "acties") The job of a technician is to create that magical world of theatre. I love audiences walking out of the theatre in awe of the magic we create.

As of result, I believe the Technicians should remain invisible. This does not mean they are any less important than the performers, but there profile is different. 

As a director I work hard to create a full ensemble (cast & crew) with no divides. When that is successful the entire company is satisfied-and so are their parents.

Krista Carson Elhai
    California
    Claremont CA

• 14.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-09-2014 12:14
    I agree technicians make the magic. Bringing them out for a bow is unprofessional. I do make sure they are listed in the program. They can greet families after with the cast. Audience will know who thy are because they are in black. When I had space in the program for a big crew on a musical I added group shots of the crews to the program. I try to give my students as near a professional experience as possible. ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO -------------------------------------------

• 15.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-09-2014 15:18

I do not have the technicians come out for curtain call and I also do not do a director's call. 
    The technicians are recognized in the bows as the actors indicate the booth and applaud the lights are dipped ( as if in a bow). I explain this in the program in the special thanks section to help educate the audience.  

My techies are part of the theater tradition of "the circle" and we have a book that is passed at each performance which includes the tech students.  The book is given to a student and they can write a quote, add a picture and write a page reflecting on the show experience for them...then they pass the book to an actor or technician in the show.  (It's like the gypsy coat idea).  Our book tradition has been going strong for over 25 years (of course we have a shelf full of show books that the kids love to read). We also have a director's gift tradition and for every show the stage manager or assistant director presents me with a charm for my charm necklace.  They love looking through trying to figure out which show the charm represents.  ( I have been directing for 35 years so it is quite extensive) It keeps the director's gift easy for the kids to get and creative too.  I want the students to realize that there are theater traditions  and etiquette too.  I give each student (actor, technician and orchestra member)  a rose on opening night and thank them  too.  

My technicians receive a picture and bio in the program and  along with a show shirt with cast and crew on the back, they receive their "blacks" which are black t-shirts with a MVHS Technical Production Arts (and the year) embroidered on the pocket.  They love their "blacks" and wear them with pride.  As the year goes on we add their tech role to the sleeve...asm, light, sound etc...(with iron on letters)

They are recognized at the drama awards night and the school has a senior technical student award given twice a year which is voted on by the entire faculty (this includes theater, computer and media techs).  This is often won by a theater tech!!!  

We also are a part of the Orange County Cappie awards which awards technical theater for plays and musicals in lighting, sound, special effects, technology, make-up, costumes, props, set, stage management and marketing.  

Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Saddleback Valley Unified School District
    Visual and Performing Arts Coordinator K-12
    Mission Viejo High School Theater Director
    Laguna Hills CA

• 16.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-09-2014 19:38
    We do not include tech in curtain call.  They are in the program, bios and all, and they are recognized on social media, at our end of year banquet, and included in all pre-show and closing rituals.  Part of the why is just logistics - there is no way the techs in the booth and catwalks (spotlights) could get down there for curtain call in time, and it doesn't seem fair to leave them out but include the running crew.

My kids, of their own volition, have started gesturing to the booth.  They love their techs and get very irritated with each other if an actor doesn't treat a techie right.  I like the idea of including an explanation of what the gesture to the booth is for.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 17.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-09-2014 22:33
    Couldn't disagree more with the folks who say "No call for crew." And many of you are are also saying you support no division amongst the troupe? Sorry, that's a disconnect in my mind.

"Give them a professional experience?" Okay, I assume you're giving them a paycheck. All my actors do tech at one point or another. All my techs act at one point or another. 

This is high school. A learning experience. These kids bust their butts. A little recognition is the least I can do. This is a team game. We honor the entire team.

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 18.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-09-2014 22:35
    Let me add: on the other hand, I totally agree with the "No director's call" philosophy. This is about them, not me. Now, if the kids want to give a "Thank you" gift on closing night, okay, fine. But otherwise, I have my curtain speech. That's all that's needed.

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 19.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-09-2014 22:59
    ""Give them a professional experience?" Okay, I assume you're giving them a paycheck."

Sorry, that came off snarkier on the screen than it sounded in my head. (Darn you, lack of virtual nuance!) 

My point was simply: This is not professional theatre. Yes, we need to teach. But sharing the glory at this level seems to carry more benefit than detriment.

Scott
    (who really needs to reread before hitting send. Can we can an "Edit" feature here?" :) )

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 20.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-10-2014 04:32
    Get your techs on stage. It makes the kids happy and the families happy. And when they enter the professional world, the pay check will make them happy and keep them back stage.  And try not to refer to them as "techies." That will irritate any professional technician. 

Allen Price
    California MD

• 21.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-11-2014 12:13
    My Techs wouldn't be caught dead on stage - that's why they chose to be Techs.  They want to wear all black and create their magic offstage.  The actors and the audience, however, do give the Techs applause just before the final group bow: the actors point to the booths and offstage R & L and then applaud for a count of 8 - this gives the Techs the applause they so richly deserve.

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Director
    Campbell CA

• 22.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-10-2014 08:25
    Ok. This may get double posted, but I think I hit the wrong reply.

Anyway.

I always tried to run my program on as close to a professional model as possible. Who gets the applause? Actors. Technicians need to have a different motivation. If they need applause, they need to be actors. (Disclosure - I started my career as a techie.) A couple of thoughts here.

1. I always told my folks, at the start of each show, that there were three things they could say to me that would guarantee my handing them their head on a platter. 1. "He's only a techie." 2. "I'm an actor and I don't do that." 3. "It's only high school theatre."

2. I once had an actress come to me crying and say, "I know I'm only an actress, but do they have to look down on me?" (Did my job a little too well there.)

My actors were all required to tech. My technicians were all encouraged to act. Most did. My techs took great pride in being invisible. They did their best to create the magic without ever being seen. They got a real charge out of being able to create the world in which the actors performed and making it as seamless as possible.

In addition, actors were never allowed to greet the audience in costume, or makeup. Again, "keep the magic."

As Director, I never set foot on stage. That's not my role either.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    James Madison High School
    Vienna VA

• 23.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-12-2014 07:34
    Part of our theatre philosophy is to run performances as close to a professional show as possible.  Therefore our tech does not come on stage for a bow.  They are acknowledged during bows by our actors just as our pit musicians are, with a collective hand to the booth and one to the musicians (for the musical).  During our SMT performance two years ago, our techies asked to do a behind the main curtain bow.  They came out UPSTAGE of the closed main and took a bow after the actors had exited the stage.  No one saw them but it made them happy. 

We acknowledge our tech during our preshow meetings every night.  It is crucial that our actors realize that they can not function without the support of the technical crew. 

Jo Pillsbury
    Adams High Theatre Director
    Summer Music Theatre Director
    Rochester Community Schools
    Rochester Hills MI

• 24.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 11-12-2014 17:23

Yes, definitely a bow for high school tech students whether it is a school performance, professional or dance studio etc. when they are using the school theatre.
    Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR

• 25.  RE: Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 01-01-2015 19:03
    We don't include the crew until the last performance.  It's a long-standing tradition so if parents want to see their crew kids come on stage, that is the performance they come to. After the curtain call, the Stage Manager steps onto the stage and introduces all crew members (and pit band members for a musical) in groupings ... "please hold your applause until the whole group is on stage."
    Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 26.  RE:Curtain Call for Tech Running Crew

Posted 01-01-2015 22:41
    During the curtain call, the cast gestures to stage right and left, as well as the House if applicable, where various crew members stand or show themselves from behind the curtains waving to be recognized. We do all cast/crew photos on closing night so everyone is included.

Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile