Open Forum

View Only

newbie seeking HELP!!

• 1.  newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-15-2016 09:13

I am a brand new Theatre Teacher! 

Let me be VERY specific.  I am a brand new English Teacher, with ABSOLUTELY NO THEATRE EXPERIENCE, that is now teaching Theatre!  I accepted my position and began teaching English, Theatre 1 & 2, as well as sponsoring my school's Drama Club the last 9 weeks of this school semester.  So I now have 9 weeks of experience... I will just say, I made it through and am looking forward to PLANNING for a successful school year in the fall. 

My school has a great set up for theatre (black box, court yard with a small auditorium, regular auditorium, fully stocked wardrobe room and such).  Unfortunately we have had a bad run with Theatre for one reason or another.  Oh and I use a regular classroom(small) 90 minute blocks but can book our black box or auditorium when I need it... 2-Theatre 1 classes (20-28 students), 1-Theatre 2 (10 students).

This past 9 weeks I have used the books (Stage and the School) that our school has, BYU's database and other internet resources to help me teach them something ... but I would like a solid plan for next year.  I have learned so much already and am willing to take the summer to learn what I need to.  I am volunteering at our Governor's School for the Arts, high school Theatre Camps, going to a Shakespeare in the classroom workshop and.... well that is where I am reaching out to this community.

If anyone would mind sharing what they do for their Theatre classes!  I mean anything and everything. 

I don't even know what the structure of a Theatre class looks like (bell ringer? structured lessons all the time? testing? exit tickets? you can see I am trying to structure like an English class here).

I don't know what the pacing is for Theatre 1 versus Theatre 2.  I have no clue how to pick a one act for the VTLA or begin executing the practices and such.  I have no idea how much time to block for practices!  I have no idea how to help get my drama club to their goal of VTLA competition in the fall, a Shakespeare production at some point (with two other high schools in our district) and a production in the spring. 

I have some knowledgeable students in my drama club but I need help in figuring out how to take this proverbial bull by the horns!

THANK YOU for ANY and ALL help!!

------------------------------
    Charlotte Kauffman
    English & Theatre Teacher
    Chesapeake

• 2.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-15-2016 09:31

Well, welcome to the madhouse! LOL  We've all been there and some of us go thru it each summer!

Let me suggest you look at Drama Teachers Academy. It's a bit pricey for some people but I have found it invaluable in helping me with my classes and I've been teaching theatre for 17 years. The Improv module is excellent.

Play Scripts for High Schools & Middle Schools - Theatrefolk

Theatrefolk remove preview

Play Scripts for High Schools & Middle Schools - Theatrefolk
    Play Scripts for High Schools and Middle Schools. Free samples online.
    View this on Theatrefolk >

Do you have a regional theatre nearby? Check in with their education program.

Find another nearby theatre teacher to mentor you.

I'm a workshop junkie. For next year check with your local English-Speaking Union branch and see if they sponsor the annual Shakespeare Competition. I think there is a branch in Richmond. Also, find out if they offer BUSS Scholarships (British University Summer School Scholarships). I spent 3 weeks at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, all expenses paid, and worked with the staff of The Globe. If the branch doesn't off a scholarship ask if they will recommend you and you pay for the class. Very pricey but worth it! Might be tax-deductible, too. Also, find a Shakespeare workshop sponsored by the ESU. Call the national office English-Speaking Union of the United States

Esuus remove preview
    English-Speaking Union of the United States
    The English-Speaking Union of the United States is a network of 68 Branches throughout the country, whose members celebrate English as a shared language to foster global understanding and good will by providing educational and cultural opportunities for students, educators and members. The ESU seeks to nurture and enhance our linguistics heritage through nationally administered programs and outreach.
    View this on Esuus >

Hope this helps. I'll try to post more as I think of them.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-15-2016 10:14

Thank you!  I am attending the Teaching Shakespeare Workshop in August.  I hope to look into the Globe opportunity for next summer.  I am pursuing all of your other suggestions!  THANK YOU!

Charlotte Kauffman
    Chesapeake VA

• 4.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-16-2016 07:31

Charlotte,

Where are you in Chesapeake?  I didn't know we had any new teachers in that area--I've been trying to get a theatre job there for years.  I am in the area as well.  I'd be glad to give you any ideas or help.  I've been running programs for the last 16 years.  Feel free to email me.   thespisdionysus@gmail.com

Jennifer Miguel
    Franklin VA

• 5.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-17-2016 18:44

I live in Chesapeake but teach in Suffolk.  They do not have the need for a full time theatre teacher so the desire is to have an English teacher willing to teach Theatre.

Charlotte Kauffman
    Chesapeake VA

• 6.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-17-2016 00:42

Congratulations and welcome to the jungle!

You may also want to check out www.teacherspayteachers.com 

It's a site where teachers sell lesson plans & such to other teachers, so the lessons have already been tried in the classroom and it's pretty cheap. I have found some useful things there. 

Also, make sure you get to your state Thespian festival. It's my favorite event all year. They have tons of fantastic workshops that you experience side by side with students & you can take your favorites back to your classroom.

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 7.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-16-2016 08:31

Wow, that's quite an undertaking! Here are a couple of thoughts to get you started. 

1. Shakespeare: If you're up for the drive, these workshops are great! Resources | Enrichment | American Shakespeare Center

Americanshakespearecenter remove preview
    Resources | Enrichment | American Shakespeare Center

View this on Americanshakespearecenter >

They're not cheap, but there's a discount for self-funding teachers, and there's a lot of really great information and hands-on activities that you can take right back into your classroom.

2. One-act: Think about what you want (subject matter, comedy/drama, cast size and breakdown) and start a thread there. People have a lot of really great suggestions. I always have plays to suggest if I know what someone is looking for.

3. Books for class activities: for beginner activities and games, I like On Stage by Lisa Bany-Winters (kind of kid-ish, but the high-schoolers still enjoy the games and you can always make them more challenging) and Basic Drama Projects by Fran Averett Tanner. I also use Robert Cohen's ACTING ONE and a textbook called THEATRE: ART IN ACTION and some activities from LET THE PART PLAY YOU.

4. Class structure: are your classes acting classes, theatre appreciation, dramatic literature, or a combination? I teach all of this in my program, so I'm happy to tell you what additional texts I use, what plays we study, and even our general topic outline. Message me with your e-mail address if you want more info.

And good luck!!

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 8.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-17-2016 14:07

Hi Cassie.  Lots of great suggestions already.  I'd like to put in a plug for adding technical theatre classes to your curriculum.  

1.  Tech classes give students who are scared to death of getting up in front of an auditorium full of people a way to learn the basics of tech work, then contribute to the performance program as technicians, designers, stage managers, and business/house management personnel.  My school had 1,400 students, and we built the curricular tech program up to 9 semester sections of technical theatre classes / year.

2.  Students found out that they enjoyed tech theatre, and our after school performance program grew to the point we had to interview students for tech positions, because we regularly had 75-100 students apply for tech positions for each show.  

3.  We added a children's theatre slot to the season to accommodate the growing # of performers and technicians.  We toured these productions to sub-district elementary schools, which further helped #s  when those elementary students got to the high school.

4.  Production values got better and better, which gave the performers a boost, and the parents got even more involved in supporting the theatre program.

5.  Students worked their way up to design positions, and their portfolios and pictures of fully realized productions really helped them when they applied for university scholarships.

I have several hand-outs I use in workshops I'd be happy too pass on to you.  Just email me with your contact info at:

bob@InteractiveEducationalVideo.com

and I'll send them as attachments to you.   I'm not sure how to send attachments through this list-serve.

Last, there are many great instructional resources available to aid in teaching tech.  Due to administrative rules for this list-serve, I can't mention them by name here, but you may want to check EdTA's resources.

Bob Fowler

• 9.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-17-2016 14:48

Most definitely take a look at the DVD series Bob created with his lovely wife Marti.  It is an excellent teaching resource for Technical Theatre that is very Practical.  (see what I did there? ;-)

Seriously, the Practical Technical Theatre DVD series is a top notch teaching resource.  One of the beauties of this series is it's possible to teach students the elements of Tech without actually having to have all the tools available to you and to show your kiddos professional situations without taking a field trip.  Not only is it a great place to start a program, but it will be a go to resource for years to come.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 10.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-16-2016 09:41

Hello!

I know exactly where you are coming from! I was a new teacher and re-buildling a department three years ago! First of all, a bit of advice someone told me and learned through experience:

1) Breathe and take one day at a time.  Sometimes we get caught up with solving all the world's problem at once and it can be daunting. So, don't forget to breathe and take baby step.

2) Don't expect the whole department to come together all at once.  the first year was probably the hardest for me because you are setting up the expectations for the department.  You are going to have some students who are going to challenge your authority and the expectations for the department.  Be patient with them and set YOUR expectations.

3) If you are the only teacher in the theatre department (like me), your students and parents are your life blood! They make your department.  Find the students and parents who are interested in helping and start delegating. they will take a lot of your stress off your shoulders.  If you don't have a booster club, get one! They are good for ticket sales, fundraising,hospitality, front of house, and production responsibilities.

4) Identify your students who want to learn the backstage and put them on it! If you are new to the backstage experience, there are two books I recommend for you: Technical theatre for Nontechnical people by Drew Campbell and The Perfect stage crew by John Kaluta.

I agree with previous responder, get the Theatre: Art in Action.  Stage and school is a fine resource but a little outdated. Theatre: Art in Action I have found has better resources and versatile ways to instruct the book.  However, it is still outdated for our time, but better.

Please don't fret on your knowledge of the arts.  It is an experience thing. As you move forward, you will learn. That's why I love it so much. I have grown up in the theatre since I was a kid, and I'm still learning.

As for right now, start organizing stuff you learn in your workshops. Stock up on theatre games and scenework. Also, look up drama academy there are a lot of great laid out lesson plans.  (This is a GOD SEND since there isn't a large amount of lesson plan resources on the internet.) Once you have a data base of resources, you can pull the info when needed as you go through the year.  You will pick up what the students already know and how to improve. 

So, as for right now: stock up, set your expectations for the department, and organize yourself.  Organization and communication is key to a successful department.  The rest will fall into place. Don't over whelm yourself.

If you are interested, I usually start the first two-three weeks of the semester with setting the expectations, group building games, introduce improvisation, stage directions, and a parts of the stage.  As you get to know your kids, you can use the first two weeks to build your future lesson plans based off reading the skill set of your students.

I hope my blabbing helped. 

Good luck,

Evelyn Carlile
    Drama Director
    Canton GA

• 11.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-16-2016 11:50

I give a "shout out" to the EdTA catalogue for book and other resources. It has a multitude of classroom and rehearsal sources all catalogued and annotated for you. I love hearing that Theatre educators near you will have your back and become your lifeline. I hope that some will become mentors.  Send questions concerning setting the stage so to speak. We will all pitch in with ideas. I think once you have goals for each class, then setting your day-to-day objectives will guide your practice. 

Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    Co-Founder/Faculty Member Summer Theatre Teacher Bootcamp
    Inspirational Speaker for PD, Student Leaderships, Conferences
    RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com
    BREAK A LEG, A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES: ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS www.gaijones.com https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator

• 12.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-16-2016 12:09

Hi Charlotte!  I just joined EdTA because I'm also a newbie, but I have a tad more experience than you do.  This past school year, I was originally going to just be a long-term sub for 9 weeks, then 2-3 weeks before school began I was asked to do the full year teaching creative writing and drama.  I had been a full time Math teacher in my "former life" and had only recently jumped back into the substituting pond.  (I have a degree in English, minor in math, and 2nd bachelor's degree in dance education.  Just enough knowledge to be dangerous.)  Talk about being outside of my comfort zone!

Anyhow, I second those who have also recommended Drama Teacher Academy for the lesson plans.  They saved my life and to me, well worth my money.  The regular teacher who was very much loved and adored set me up for a successful year with getting me outside help from someone who has been involved with the local community theatre and passing on as much of his materials (including some DTA stuff) as he could because we all expected him to return.  In April he officially resigned and I was offered the permanent position.  Now that the show (pun intended) is mine to run and I'm not just the warm body trying to keep the program going for a year, I felt like I should join EdTA, but I'm going to continue to pay for the DTA because I believe both sources have their value.

My first bit of advice for having a successful year is to not try to do too much.  Think about what you can realistically take on.  We dropped a minor-ish thing because it would have taken place around the same time we were deep in rehearsals for the main play.  Is the prior theatre teacher still available to talk to?  Find out what can stay and what can go for your first full year.

My next piece of advice (which probably should have been my first) is to seek out your helpers.  Do not be afraid to ask for help, including from your students.  My drama club president was AMAZING!  She was one of the co-valedictorians and was a TA for me first semester.  Granted, I lucked into an awesome situation with her, but there were plenty of other kids who were super helpful.  Find out who your student leaders are and get them on your side immediately.  If they are enthusiastic about your new energy and ideas, then the younger students will follow.  Is the choral director a source you can ask?  We have a fantastic one and because we have an overlap of kids, he was another great source for me.  (Field trips, show technicalities, the stuff you don't know but need to know, etc...)  I bribe him with chips and guacamole in exchange for advice.  Next person I had a huge amount of help from was someone who has been involved with the local community theatre.  She got part of the drama supplement like assistant coaches do with football.  Be especially nice to your school bookkeeper/treasurer.  I apologized every time I had another "stupid" question (my words not hers) which I'm sure was in one of the many pdf files that I was bombarded with at the beginning of the school year, but didn't have time to search through all the mumbo-jumbo legalese.  And let's not forget administration.  I think mine was so thankful that they had someone who was willing to do the play and understood that the job was only for one year (originally).  So the short version of my above rambling is to get help from the following sources:  student leaders, veteran teachers (preferably an arts area one), local community theatre volunteers, the school money person, administration.  Parents are of course another great resource, but I did not rely on them heavily for the day to day stuff but you will need them for shows and any field trips.  (OMG, you have no idea of how much the idea of a field trip terrified me simply because of paperwork.)

I'm also using the summer to get more grounded and more organized.  You can not go wrong with theatre games.  My students love games.  Many people refer to Viola Spolin's Improvisation for the Theater book.  Relax and remind yourself that for the most part students will choose to be in your class as opposed to English 10 or Algebra I.  Having taught both of those, I can tell you that the cliche about the magic happening when you get outside of your comfort zone is absolutely true.

You've got the right attitude for wanting to learn more.  Let your students see that you are willing to put yourself out there to learn more and they will pick up on it.  Not saying that it will all be sunshine and roses, but I wish you as much success as I had and more!

Melissa Gibson
    Drama teacher
    Oak Harbor High School
    Oak Harbor WA

• 13.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-16-2016 12:10

There are some great suggestions above, which I'm finding is common in this forum.  :-)

Since I'm in the backstage end of theatre (I'm a set designer), I'm going to chime in on that aspect.

First, if you have no experience in theatre, I'd suggest focusing on the acting and scene work for the first year or so, and not worrying about the tech side. You will have enough on your plate as it is, and you don't need to learn two different worlds at the same time, never mind trying to teach them. My two-year college mounted two fully-produced shows a year, yet the acting class ended the semester by doing a one-act comedy which required only a couple of simple pieces of furniture. It was presented as the acting class end-of-year project and not as a play, and was very popular with the general student population.

Then you can use that first year or so to get yourself up to speed on the backstage stuff. There are lots of ways to do that:

• Get yourself a couple of solid college-level textbooks, or professional books, on design and tech. There was a thread here a couple of months ago on that topic, and some good books were listed: https://www.schooltheatre.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=133&MID=18372&CommunityKey=35d3756e-031c-447e-a020-14aeb57718f1&tab=digestviewer#bm4
    • Find a couple of good college theatre programs in your area and make friends with them. Ask them for a tour of their facilities and ask lots of questions. You will probably get lots of ideas as to how to use what you have at your school.
    • You may have a regional theatre group in your area, or even a great community theatre company. Make friends with them too. Chances are they'd love to help out.
    • Please keep in mind that not all college theatre programs, or community theatres, are the same. One of the saddest things I've seen in theatre was when two grads of a local two-year college tech theatre program came to work in a real scene shop thinking they knew about scenery, and we had to re-train them from scratch, including the proper way to use power tools.
    • There are also resources on line. Do a search for tech theatre and you'll find lots of options. One is my own blog, listed below my signature here.

Once you're ready to handle the backstage stuff, consider teaching from a textbook and having a lab. That's how it's been traditionally done in good college programs. We had a sit-down class to learn the material, and then went out to do a hands-on of what we learned, either the same day or on a separate lab day. It was totally separate from getting out there to build the set for our productions, and really got us excited about the "real world" stuff. It also took the pressure off of having to work on a real set when we were still learning the basics.

Good luck with your new program, and don't forget to have fun with it. It'll carry across to the kids.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 14.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-16-2016 14:43

Gai Jones' book Raising the Curtain was a HUGE help for me with daily lessons, pacing, etc. Theatrefolk also has awesome lesson plans, ideas, and a strong community of support. Hope this helps, Juliette

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 15.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-20-2016 10:52

Wow...I did Theatre to English, but English to Theatre is a lot more challenging.  I feel for you so I have a lot of suggestions and docs attached.

Open Scenes are a big hit with my students.  It gives them enough structure but also a good amount of creative freedom to come up with bold choices without the teacher looking down their back.  An Open Scene is when they all have the same lines (in a 2 or 3 character scene) but there is no context to the scene.  Here's a thorough description: Open Scenes - great practice for student actors! And I attached 3 different scripts for you.

About.com Education remove preview
    Open Scenes - great practice for student actors!
    Open scenes -also called Content-less scenes, Ambiguous scenes, Spare scenes, Skeletal scenes-are great exercises for acting classes. They are also fun and worthwhile for students in other subject area classes because they call for layers of creativity and they are great examples of how revision improves an initial effort.
    View this on About.com Education >

I also have done Rock Star Lip Sync, which takes more home rehearsal than time in the class room.  You just have to make sure that they print out the lyrics so you can manage language.  However, in the past few years the technology has changed to where I make the students bring in the AUX cord and all that b/c I'm a bit of a Luddite.  I'm taking a break from this exercise b/c this past semester my students didn't put enough thought/time/energy into it...but it can be fun!  I used to videotape them and show them the results in the last week of school.

Every class I have ever taught has been introduced to the 7 Vocal Elements of Storytelling.  So much so that my family actually knows all seven!  They are helpful for not only actors, but readers in an English class (which I had to teach) and any other class/situation where you might have to get up and speak in front of people.  I have attached them also.  I also have all my classes keep a journal the entire semester.  On the last day of class they "surrender" their journal to me and I give it back to them on graduation day with a letter from the last day of class and a picture of the class, along with the seating chart.

AND...you must Improv!  I've attached the 10 Rules of Improv here and I suggest finding Whose Line Is It Anyway on YouTube.  The kids LOVE watching these professionals (who make it look easy), but improv is a staple for any serious actor.  If you don't know how to improv you might not be able to cover for someone who forgot a line.

Finally, I also attached a few other docs that might be helpful for you.  I feel for you BIG TIME, having a degree in English and having (getting?) to teach Theatre.   You DO know Sonnets and Hamlet though.  I've used both many times and have included a few docs.   Remember that the main difference between English and Theatre is that at the end of the unit in Theatre they should be able to get up, on their feet and show you what they learned.  That's the really fun part for them.  In my differentiated Hamlet unit the Acting Final is that they work in groups and recreate the story of Hamlet.  I give them props, costumes and furniture but they become the director, actor, writer.  They LOVE it!  The same thing with Sonnets.  It's a 3-part assignment in which they compose, edit and then speak their Sonnet (using the 7 Vocal Elements of Storytelling).  They have to write about something they love (books, mom, sports, girls, mac n'cheese, video games) or even something they love to hate (homework, poverty, guns). You can email me for more info to explanation to any of these.  FYI with the Hamlet unit I have found the Zefferelli version (Mel Gibson, Glen Close) much more accessible for the students.  We watch a bit, then read a bit and if they've already written Sonnets they already know iambic pentameter, or vice versa.  I set the unit up to intentionally leave them hanging at the end of each session and I love seeing them WANT to know what happens next.

But have fun with it...theatre offers so much to students and it's a delight to see them come into themselves!

Best of luck!

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA #fftfellow
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

Attachment(s)

docx
    ActingFinalCasting.docx   86 KB 1 version
    doc
    1st Day Questionnaire.doc   23 KB 1 version
    doc
    7 vocal elements.doc   24 KB 1 version
    doc
    Antic Guide Day 1.doc   25 KB 1 version
    docx
    HamletScopeSequence2012.docx   201 KB 1 version
    doc
    Open Scenes #1,2,3.doc   30 KB 1 version
    doc
    Sonnet Squad.doc   24 KB 1 version
    pdf
    TeachHamletYouTube.pdf   702 KB 1 version

• 16.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-20-2016 22:08
      |   view attached

Welcome, Charlotte! Best job in the world, right here! Congratulations!

To chime in/amplify what others have said: Take deep breaths, and don't worry about everything being super perfect from day one (day two, twenty, ninety-nine...) because there is an overwhelming amount of everything to learn, but the great thing is that if you're patient and willing (and certainly you sound willing!), all that will come with time.

Focus on acting/performance and improvisation material, initially. Add in the technical stuff as you learn your way around the job and its requirements. I second the post about Bob and Marti Fowler's Practical Technical Theatre curriculum, it is absolutely priceless. Pricey to buy, but there are ways around that (grants, school improvement funds, other educational slush funds).

You asked specifically what people do or how a class actually runs, which is a wise starting point. I also second the use of Drama Teacher Academy; it has 20+ modular courses on a wide range of topics, including a great course on Shakespeare that I used pretty much verbatim in my classroom with some success. The layout of these courses and how they are taught will give you a good bead on how to structure your class time. Many theatre teachers come from English, so the felt-need to structure theatre like an English class is understandable, but is not recommended for most theatre classes, to an extent. There may be days where the English classroom set up is entirely appropriate, such as class readings/analysis of scripts or teaching theatre history, but in general, and I speak for myself here, my theatre classroom has little in common with the set up of my English classes (a large part due to the mandated curriculum we had to teach, but that's a subject for another time).

Depending on what time of year it is, a 'typical' Theatre 1-4 has looked like this:

Layout: Classroom is the stage of the school's auditorium, so no chairs, and everybody joins the circle

1. 7 minute physical warm up (allowing everybody own space) followed by 5 minutes vocal warm up in the circle

2. Quick check-in (every third day)

3. Introduce topic for the day (Theatre history, a script, a performance skill...whatever we're following in the curriculum) with notes as needed/responses logged in drama journals

4. Working as a class or in groups on the topic of the day.

5. Check-in at end of class

When we go into production mode, then the class becomes rehearsal time. We still do the warm-up, and then break into relevant groupings to work scenes before eventually turning it into a straight run of what we've got, then adding tech elements and getting ready for production night.

I've attached a curriculum plan for what I attempted last year in my Theatre 1-4 classes, and this year I'm going to try and follow it more closely, making sure I arrange my time a little more wisely...! Several of the modules are from Drama Teacher Academy.

One more thing to note about DTA is that they are rolling out a whole year curriculum for Theatre 1 classes very, very soon, so even more incentive to check them out!

Lastly, try your best to attend the EdTA conference in Las Vegas this September, or your local state theatre teacher conference. That will also be an incredibly helpful resource of new things to try out.

Really, the difficulty you're going to have is sorting out all of the wonderful suggestions you've been given by all of these knowledgeable and awesome peers, and working out where to start. I'd highly recommend picking one or two things rather than try every single thing all at once, otherwise you might fry your brain. There is so much choice about where to start, so start with your strengths first, and then build from there.

Check out blogs on EdTA, as some of them have ruminations at length about what it means to be a first year teacher, with more expansion on certain elements (show selection, juggling your responsibilities, etc.) that may also be of use, if not a source of comfort.

One final shout out to Gai Jones' 'Raise the Curtain', which could realistically form the basis of several years worth of curriculum!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

Attachment(s)

• 17.  RE: newbie seeking HELP!!

Posted 06-21-2016 08:07

The best book that I found to lead a Theatre 1 class is Theatre Games for young Performers: Improvisations and Exercises for Developing Acting Skills  by Maria Novelly is an older book, but still available on Amazon for $17. I follow this book for the first two quarters and work on performance skills: pantomime (physical acting), voice (vocal acting), improv (putting the physical and vocal skills together to create character & story), etc. Then we apply those skills with units on theatre history (Greek, Roman, Medieval, Shakespeare) Character development, script analysis, and backstage jobs. Laying a foundation with Novelly's book, got everyone in the class on board and excited about theatre.

Good luck!

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD