Open Forum

View Only

Chicago

• 1.  Chicago

Posted 08-30-2017 10:18
    Has anyone done this at their high school? Would this be considered inappropriate even if you toned down the sexuality and got permission to take out the language from the song "Class"?

------------------------------
    Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    Jefferson High School
    Jefferson, GA

• 2.  RE: Chicago

Posted 08-30-2017 10:29
    According to Samuel French, the High School edition will be released in 2018. I've considered it in the past, but my administrator was definitely iffy...

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Chicago

Posted 08-30-2017 10:39
    Maybe wait and see what the high school version is like. It is notoriously tricky to get permission to do Chicago in any case, plus the content does tend to make most communities and therefore administrations squeamish...If it was me, I wouldn't do it. But that's me. 

Plays with lots of violence, though, I'm all game.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 4.  RE: Chicago

Posted 08-31-2017 09:01
    We did it in 2011 and the only push back I got was from my new principal worried about breaking the commandment of taking the Lord's name in vain.  When I pointed out to her that the only time that happens is when the lawyer is trying to get the Hungarian girl  who is innocent to lie to save her life, yet Billy Flynn evokes "God Bless America" a gagillion times to justify sleaze---and that Kander and Ebb are using that contrast is a very specific foil to point out the hypocrisy in the American pysche, she got on board.   Which was lovely and brave of her, but she also had the cover of the previous principal (who trusted us to do Rent and Laramie Project) having given their consent to the show before she arrived.  You have to know and gauge your community---get the data.  We put out surveys after heavy shows to collect both targeted response criteria and unsolicited reactions, we send very explicit permission slips when students audition and we are transparent about content in our advertising.  If our audience give us positive, affirmative feedback, if we have enough kids able to audition and our ticket sales don't drop, we've got a batch of data to say that the community is in support of this kind of material and here's why.  Or why not.  If the data comes back in a negative way, you can't ignore that either.  We changed our Lynn Nottage pick from Intimate Apparel to Crumbs from the Table of Joy because our Southern African American community was not comfortable with their daughters playing a character who kisses another woman, even though the majority of our white community was comfortable with that choice.  You've got to listen to where your audience is at---and of course, keep listening, because every four years or so, the conversation changes.  

Best of luck.  Stretch your communities' expectation of what your students are capable, surely, but at not at the risk of your peril because you don't have the information to make a calculated guess at what is within the bounds of their capacity to grow.

Hope Love

• 5.  RE: Chicago

Posted 08-31-2017 08:48
    I applied for the rights to Chicago in May. After applying I received an email stating that it may take a few weeks before the request was processed and approved or disapproved. It's been 8-10 weeks now and still no response. Sam French recommends a plan B. So... doesn't sound like we're doing Chicago this year!

DJ Queenan
    Director of Fine Arts
    Savannah Country Day School
    Savannah GA

• 6.  RE: Chicago

Posted 08-31-2017 08:52
    We had selected Chicago for our spring musical this year and did receive the rights, but our principal said NO.

Rob Gentry
    Director of Theatre
    Perrysburg High School
    Perrysburg, OH
    rgentry@perrysburgschools.net
    419-874-3181 ext 5105

• 7.  RE: Chicago

Posted 08-31-2017 09:20

We did Chicago a few years ago and what I heard most from the admin was they were worried about the costumes - they had the Broadway revival in their mind - so we were mindful of the costumes  - ensemble we dressed as men, Merry Murderess we dressed in period dresses -  and had zero push back.  The show does have areas - such as Mama's two songs that needed to be addressed - but really was not a big deal.  I do remember the rights taking forever.

Ted Curry
    Pleasant Hill CA

• 8.  RE: Chicago

Posted 08-31-2017 11:46
    I did it and was given permission to edit by Samuel French

Douglas Erwin
    Ferguson, MO

• 9.  RE: Chicago

Posted 08-31-2017 13:07
    Chicago (and a few other Fosse musicals) tend to get a reputation for being inappropriate for high school students to perform. Why is this? The original Fosse staging? It is not required. The costuming? We don't have to put students in fishnets and revealing outfits. Ignorance? I once had an administrator ask, "Is that appropriate for us to do?" I asked, "Do you know the show?" I referred her to the PG-13 rated, Academy Award winning film, but never heard back. Is it the violent content? Does anyone even blink when considering a Shakespearean tragedy? We can produce Titus Andronicus (murder, rape, treason, limbs and tongue chopped off, cannibalism, etc.) but not Chicago? I wonder if one of the issues concerns women behaving violently. Why can we accept Macbeth killing everyone, but not Roxie and Velma? Is it because it's a musical and not a play? I don't have all of the answers, just opening it up for discussion.

• 10.  RE: Chicago

Posted 08-31-2017 16:27
    I work in a very conservative district and we did Chicago with minimal language changes.  Our costumes were not skimpy, more of a "high end" styled look.  We received nothing but positive feedback on the show.

Irene Imboden
    Teacher/ Drama Director
    Troy City Schools
    OH

• 11.  RE: Chicago

Posted 09-01-2017 12:50
    ​Hello everyone,

Great topic and I love the show. Our principal actually wanted us to do the show. It was just performed at the ITF last year so we decided to wait. I think anything can be done tastefully.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School