Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The search for the perfect play

Posted 05-15-2016 10:43
    This week, we're  wrapping up our last production of the year, "All in Care of Thee" ,an adaptation of "The Tempest", and are starting to look toward the fall.  I'd like to do something like "The Laramie Project"- ensemble cast playing multiple roles, up-in-one set, with some potential for tying it into community activism or service learning. When we did "Laramie", 8 years ago, it had a profound effect on the cast and the school community. The post-performance discussions were lengthy, emotional, and moving, and continued in the hallways and classrooms well beyond the closing performance. 

I have been reading plays, many of which were written specifically for high school students, and I've been disappointed with the melodramatic style and stereotypical characters, as well as the moralistic tone.  I know that there's not another "Laramie Project" (except the "10 Years Later", which doesn't work well without the context of having seen or read the original). But what is out there that you've worked on that might have the same qualities and impact?  Thank you.

Michael Bergman

"Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here." 
    ― Neil GaimanMake Good Art

• 2.  RE: The search for the perfect play

Posted 05-16-2016 14:44

I have a play I'd like you to consider. I'd be happy to send you a copy of it. It's titled, All Rise and allows for much discussion and community interaction at the conclusion. You can contact me or email me at Iwriteplays@outlook.com and I'll be happy to send out to you right away.

------------------------------
    Catherine Rhoden Goguen

• 3.  RE: The search for the perfect play

Posted 05-17-2016 09:38

I can't recommend LETTERS TO SALA by Arlene Hutton highly enough. It's a beautifully written, moving story about little known part of the history of the Holocaust. Next to THE LARAMIE PROJECT, it was the most powerful drama I've been lucky enough to direct thus far. Especially great if you, like me, are always searching for plays that have far more girls parts than boys. 

Tom Lupfer
    Pascack Valley HS Theatre
    www.pvhstheatre.org
    Hillsdale, NJ

• 4.  RE: The search for the perfect play

Posted 05-17-2016 10:47

I recently read "110 Stories" by Sarah Tuft on the Playscripts website. It's set up similarly to "The Laramie Project" and is incredibly powerful. It follows the story of 9/11 from the viewpoint of survivors and those involved in the rescue efforts in NY--the stories are very engaging and VERY moving. If I hadn't already picked my shows for the year, I would have probably applied for the license to do the show. It's set up as interlocking monologues/dialogue similarly to "Elephant's Graveyard". 

Playscripts has a free sample on their website here: 110 Stories}

Playscripts.com remove preview
    110 Stories}
    110 Stories | From the first crash at the Towers to a last goodbye at Ground Zero, 110 Stories takes us through 9/11 as told by those who were there. Based on interviews, this docu-play weaves together stories not shown on the news, from people we can relate to...a mother, a photojournalist, an ironworker, a chiropractor, and a homeless man who saved lives that day.
    View this on Playscripts.com >
    Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 5.  RE: The search for the perfect play

Posted 05-26-2016 14:16

You may want to look at ANON(YMOUS) or LANGUAGE OF ANGELS, both by Naomi Iizuka. Also TRIANGLE or the TRIANGLE FACTORY FIRE PROJECT. Another beautiful piece is THESE SHINING LIVES, about the radium dial factory workers and their fight for justice.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: The search for the perfect play

Posted 05-27-2016 10:36

You might also consider Korczak's Children by Jeffrey Hatcher about an orphanage in Warsaw Poland during the Nazi Occupation.  I also just directed a wonderful play called Civil Ceremony by Beth Gilleland about women who fought in the Civil War, dressed as men.  Contact me if you want further information on Civil Ceremony, as it is not yet published but will be soon.

Diane Landis
    Theatre Faculty
    Minneapolis MN

• 7.  RE: The search for the perfect play

Posted 05-31-2016 08:23

I'd be interested in details about the Civil War play. We THE GOOD FIGHT last year (about British suffragists) and DECISION HEIGHT (about WASP pilots in training), so that sounds like that would be right up our alley.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA