Open Forum

View Only

GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

• 1.  GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-25-2018 09:38
    There is a newer experience when requesting the rights for GREASE from Samuel French. I was surprised to find out that it can take up to 2 months to receive approval and stunned to find out the cost. Samuel French now bases your royalty cost on your true seating capacity and will not take into consideration previous ticket sales, or low in-come or at-risk factors. The cost was 3 times more than I have ever paid for rights in 25 years of directing musicals. 

Amanda Swann
    Verdugo Hills High School VAPA Magnet Coordinator and Theatre Educator
    CA Ed. Theatre Assn., Director of Historical Records and Past-President
    Drama Teachers Assn. of Southern CA, Past- President
    ESU: English in Action, Los Angeles Treasurer

• 2.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-25-2018 10:05
    Hi Amanda,

This process has been in place for the past several years, and accomodates for the very specific licensing requirements for this title. We recognize that GREASE has a very unique process, and we try to be extremely transparent with our K12 teachers that the experience might be different than they're used to with other titles in our catalogue.

We also understand that the timeline and process can create challenges, and we're happy to assist you any way we can. As always, we're happy to help you brainstorm fundraising ideas or alternate titles. For most other titles, we're able to offer capped seating-based rate appeals based on expected attendance. 

Please contact me at K12@samuelfrench.com with any questions!

------------------------------
    Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-25-2018 10:13
    We had this experience when we did Grease a couple of years ago. While I know Samuel French does not control all of the factors, the communication from them regarding this show could have been much better. It was the worst experience I have had in 20 years getting rights to a show. The cost was outrageous! Not sure how smaller schools can afford to cover their expenses with this show. The royalties were easily double what we have ever paid for a show.

Andy Cantrell
    Director of Theatre/Teacher
    Findlay OH

• 4.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-25-2018 10:30
    I do want to stress that we’ve restructured our licensing department, and K12 teaching artists now have specific licensing reps (my colleague Sarah and I) that understand the nuances of educational theatre and advocate for your needs.

We've reworked a lot of our communication regarding this title, and while there are still specific processes and restrictions we need to follow, it's much clearer.

Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-27-2018 09:46
    I would like to say that I have had several interactions, specifically, with Rosemary, since the restructuring and her department and their customer service is a marked improvement.  If you've had a previous experience that was bad, I suggest you give them a second shot at developing a more positive relationship with this publisher.   

That said, I hope that they've improved the typography on the "Grease" rental materials--especially if it is more expensive.  When we did it many years ago, I did find it to be the most difficult to read and with the most musical errors in the score.

As for the increased cost, that's the game people.  Supply and demand.  When we did Chicago when it was super popular, or Beauty and the Beast, it cost us.  Choose your season based on your budget as much as your interests.    

--
    Hope Hynes Love
    Theater Teacher
    East Chapel Hill High School
    500 Weaver Dairy Road
    Chapel Hill, NC 27514
    work-919-969-2482 x 27500 (before 1:00 p.m)
    fax-919-969-2491
    cell-919-308-3133 (after 1:00 p.m.)

"I've done some research and reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.  I can take it in small doses, but as a lifestyle, I find it way too confining."  Jane Wagner, Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe

All mail correspondence to and from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.

• 6.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-26-2018 11:02
    I did Grease this school year and went into it knowing it was a very exspensive show to produce. I have to say that I had a completely different experience and could not have had a better one. Rosemary was a rock star helping me out when one of my leads came down sick and I had to change my show dates. She was able to get the paperwork taken care of in days! 

I hate that that so many of you seem to have had a bad experience but it was fantastic for me. I guess part of it was knowing ahead of time that it was going to be an expensive title and that it was a lengthy process made the difference for me. 

Cheers,

W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 7.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-26-2018 11:53
    We had a similarly bad experience with Samuel French when we wanted to license Chicago. In the end, it was amusing- by time they got back to us we were already in rehearsals for another show. It had to be six months later (and we had told them that we were no longer interested). 

I am glad to hear that Samuel French is being proactive on making improvements on this front (and I am aware that efforts have been made to make Chicago more readily available, although I am not sure I will be trying to find out). I sometimes feel like these agencies are trying to discourage productions. I am optimistic this is changing.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 8.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-29-2018 15:40
    I am not all in on the GREASE is bad for society argument. It is not a favorite and I have already done it once so no need to get back to it. However, no one ever seems to mention that Dannie makes several attempts to remake himself so that Sandy will notice -- without success. 

I am not in the habit of defending publishing companies, but my experiences with Samuel French have been overwhelmingly positive and I recognize the rights related problems pointed out related to GREASE and CHICAGO are not of their doing. Samuel French has made it clear enough that it is the copyright holder that is making the outrageous royalty demand. If I had a smaller house that would work for me. But it doesn't so I move on.

As to CHICAGO, there is no question that the rights to this show are difficult to get -- I tried for 10 years until finally getting them. it is not Samuel French that is making it difficult but instead it is the producers of the national tour who do not want your little HS show to get in the way of their massive money-maker. Samuel French makes this very clear and tells us at several points in the process that it is time-consuming and not likely to be successful. Everyear they suggested other shows that might fit our needs.

I'm glad I finally got the rights to CHICAGO and our show turned out great. Never once did I blame Samuel French for it taking so long.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 9.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-27-2018 22:38

This might be the time to bring this up. American High Schools (and I mean this with no disrespect to the good people at Samuel French who are just doing their jobs, I'm sure Rosemary is very helpful), but maybe it's time to STOP DOING GREASE?!

I realize it's easy to produce and an audience draw and a lot of the songs are fun, but the show's morals are just trashy, especially in a woke #metoo America. ​​The central message is "if you like a guy, change who you are for him, especially if that means being more promiscuous."  The secondary plot message is "don't worry about having unprotected sex, things will work out in the end" while other messages include "it's okay to bully the nerds and overachievers," "cars are basically male fantasy date rape vehicles" and "it's normal and funny for adult men (Vince Fontaine) to hit on high school girls."  Those are just some of the stellar moments that come to mind in GREASE. 

GREASE was not written for high school students, either for them to produce or for them to see.  If you do the original version it's really inappropriate and if you do the "high school version" the show doesn't make a lot of sense (and most of the more troublesome themes are still there, they're just better hidden). 

I get that the authors have realized that they are sitting on a musical theater goldmine and want to milk it for as much profit as possible. Why shouldn't they be profiting off the backs of high school theater arts programs? Putting the future of the industry ahead of blind greed is un-American and GREASE is definitely an American musical, (in all the worst senses of the word). Let's move on people!  Now that Samuel French has ensured that GREASE is no longer a cash-cow (at least not for you), there are a lot of other wonderful shows out there more worthy of your time and money.

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 10.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-28-2018 09:16
    I have to agree with John.  There is no place for Grease in a high school theatre program. I have been telling my students "no" for 37 years. It's misogynistic. It sends a wrong message. And the fact that the students and the audiences don't see that makes it all the more dangerous.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 11.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-28-2018 10:33
    Well said!! As a young girl, Grease was the word, with John & Olivia on the screen, making musicals cool again!!! Every actress’ dream part was Rizzo and many of us were willing to change to get a guy. Fast forward 35 Year’s: I did not want to teach that lesson to my daughters and I don’t want to teach that to the girls in my program. That’s why I’ll never do Grease either.

Maria Stadtmueller

Sent from my iPhone

• 12.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-28-2018 13:59
    THANK you John, Michael, and Maria for saying what needs to be said about GREASE.   I loathe the message it sends to young women and men.  It is hard to fight the, "Let's do Grease.... Grease..."   It makes me crazy.   Maybe if high schools and communities STOP applying for rights the production company and lawyers for the production will get the picture.

I reluctantly applied for the rights last year because we needed to make the money.   I work at an American school on a military base.  We perform for members of the military community.  We were denied rights to the production with no explanation.  When I questioned the decision, I was told that they did not have to give us an explanation.  When I attempted to apply again, I was given a rate quote by SF, and then an email minutes later saying we had to apply through TRW.  My students were disappointed, but it just motivated my drive to find ANYTHING else.  

I highly recommend the company Playscripts.   We did Emma! last year and it turned out to be a huge hit.  We just have to do everything we can to sell other shows to our community.  We took our students to our on base mall and performed three "flash mob style" songs.   We had patrons asking to buy tickets on the spot!  I was really surprised.

Next year, we are trying Pirate La Dee Da --- it features many female roles and has a MUCH better message than Grease.  It's not well known, but I am going to sell the Pirate theme and request the audience dress up pirate style and offer photos on set after our Saturday matinee.   Might be crazy, but could be worth a try!

This online community is wonderful.   You all give me so many great ideas.
    Cheers.  Have  wonderful summer!

Stacie Graves
    Drama Department
    Ramstein HS, Germany
    gypsymoon313@gmail.com

• 13.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-28-2018 17:43
    Let me take you briefly in a different direction relative to the subject matter of Grease. What if you considered the storyline to be historical fiction? Every Young Generation looks to establish themselves as separate from their parents. One of the ways they differentiate themselves is through style and dress. That's readily apparent in the costuming and hairstyles from Grease. (We also see, as an aside, young people today bristling at their parents dressing as if they were teenagers.)

The show itself shares the comfort level of the greasers with their bodies and sexuality and the struggle that someone who is coming from a more reserved background dealing with these pressures. It is apparent that not all the greasers are sexually active . As an aside, although Sandy comes out with form-fitting outfit at the end and seems to adapt the language of the greasers we never see a confirmation of her becoming sexually active.

The music of rock and roll which by its very title has a sexual derivation, as does the term jazz, is a subliminal reference to this budding sexuality. How is this historical fiction you might ask? Well this attitude of the late 50s evolved into the mid and late 60s free love movement of a generation that then led to acceptance by many of promiscuity that led to the tragic HIV AIDS years.    STDs and STIs can also be brought into the discussion.

A logical progression of well known Broadway musicals can then progress from  Grease to Hair to Rent.

If all one sees in the theme that to become popular you have to become a slut, then I can readily agree with your discomfort.  If you're only doing this to make money, you should definitely not do this.  Don't prostitute yourself.

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 14.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-29-2018 05:36

YES!!! Thank you John and all who chimed in. about once every couple of years my students ask if we can do Grease, and I tell them no for exactly the reasons mentioned.  To my kid's credit, once explained, they get it, a few have said the understand but still love it, a few have changed the way they view it. I think it is a horrible message and won't be any part of spreading it. Interestingly, the right's holders raising the royalty will probably do more to dampen it's production than cultural changes or "woke" teachers... and that's a little sad. 

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 15.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-30-2018 05:41

I might add that if you're looking for a popular teen rock musical based on a hit movie, that FOOTLOOSE is a really great alternative to GREASE. We did FOOTLOOSE last spring and it was the biggest hit in the school's history, completely selling out (in a 400 seat theater) an unprecedented SIX performances. I've directed it twice before and both times the show was a huge hit as well. 

A lot of the music (Let's Hear it for the Boy, Holding on for a Hero, Almost Paradise, The Girl Gets Around and the title song) is just as poplar and well know as the music in GREASE, a few of the new songs (Mama Says) are show stoppers, and the movie is just as popular with folks of the same generation (the two movies were only a few years apart and you'll find some of your mom's preferred Kevin Bacon to John Travolta back then - lol).

The storyline is actually compassionate and uplifting, essentially about family (a son with no father and a father who has lost his son) and about community. It's got teenage rebellion versus adult authority but in a good way (the adult antagonist is not a cardboard villain, but a misguided adult who listens, changes and eventually even supports our young protagonist and his friends.) The teens express their rebellion in creative rather than destructive ways.  It's a statement about the arts and it's ability to heal a community (something that really resonated for us). It captures a lot of the conflict of the Reagan era and is a great teaching tool for students about that time period, the Moral Majority, etc. and opening up discussions about legislating morality and community values. While Ariel presents a similar image to Sandy at the end of GREASE, Ariel's promiscuity is seen as dangerous and a cry for attention (more accurate) and in fact she doesn't change to win a boy, but drops her "act" and is more her real self once she feels loved and supported by her boyfriend and her father. Ariel is almost the complete opposite of Sandy!

The show has a larger dance requirement than GREASE but as the authors point out, the young characters (other than Ren) would have more energy and enthusiasm than skill (this is a town where dancing has been illegal for years). So you really just need one boy who can move well and a lot of kids with energy!  There are also several excellent non dancing lead roles. 

And finally, the 80s are the new 50s! Kids love the era, the costumes, the hairstyles, the fact that there's a huge country western roadhouse number at the top of the second act was great fun for the students (and we were able to teach everyone some country line dancing) and the music! The title song made it into our prom that year with not only the cast, but the whole school dancing! We liked GREASE in the 80s because it was a throwback to our parents era. FOOTLOOSE is just the same. (The girls had a great time hijacking their mother's old "mom jeans.") Scrunchies, leg warmers and acid washed denim abounded. 

FOOTLOOSE is handled through Rogers & Hammerstein Music Library who were lovely to deal with. They offer all the same bells and whistles as MTI and everyone else now (logo packs, accompaniment tracks, etc.).  If you were planning on GREASE, consider recasting Danny and Rizzo as Ren and Ariel (same vocal ranges) and Sandy and Kenikie as Rusty and Willard (ditto).

The only hurdles I have found are in casting Chuck Cranston (Ariel's villainous boyfriend) and sometimes in casting the townfolk/ adults. Chuck is a supporting role with a very difficult vocal range. I've lucked out but it's rare to find a high school boy good enough to sing Chuck's song (which is really high!) and macho enough to pull off the character and still willing to play essentially the 4th largest men's role. Try looking outside the box at that kid who doesn't usually do theater but is maybe a bit of a small town rocker. As to the adult characters, the plot dictates that they don't dance. Ever. And while the three parents especially are wonderful roles with great vocal solos and duets, the dance element of the show becomes infectious in rehearsal and everyone really wants to DANCE! The kids playing the "no fun" adults, tend to hate it. I can think of three options. 1. Try sneaking some of your "Bomont adults" into the Roadhouse scene at the top of Act Two. It's supposed to be a different town anyway so the ensemble is all different characters. 2. The show includes a mega-mix curtain call at the end in which everyone can finally dance!  3. Consider casting actual adults (faculty or local community theater actors) as your adults. There's still more than enough great teen roles to go around. 

So anyway, there ARE options to GREASE that can engage your students AND make you a lot of money and still contain stronger and more positive values. Also, as far as I know, FOOTLOOSE has a much more standard royalty policy that wont break your bank if you sell out. Good luck! 

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 16.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-29-2018 13:13
    Hi all,
    I was unaware of the restructuring of Samuel French, thank you for the update. WHen we did the show about 5 years ago, we had a fairly smooth application process with little to no issues with Samuel French. I will add, however, that when we chose to add some of the movie songs into the show, we experienced poor communication with the music company.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 17.  RE: GREASE - Keeping Theatre Educators in the Loop

Posted 05-29-2018 14:24

I directed Grease last year and did the full version, not high school, with the additional purchase of the movie songs. While the process was different from my previous contract experiences, I knew this was coming. I was warned through SF and had the opportunity to meet Mr. Taft who controls Grease the summer before. Having said that, I think many directors underestimate the difference in how this property is handled versus others.

Similarly, I think many directors underestimate the efforts needed to create a successful show with Grease, as well as the impact a show like this can have on a community. I'll be honest, I didn't pick Grease for the right reasons. At the time, I had a program that was doing amazing things but few people were walking through our doors. The students were doing incredible productions but to small crowds. This hurt both our morale and our budget. So, I committed to Grease and its large royalty needs. SF said they had to base our costs on a sold out house, something we had never seen. But, in the end, they were right. We sold out all 4 performances.

Once I committed to the show, I knew I had to work hard to combat much of what you talked about above--a story where a girl compromises herself to make a boy happy, a tale of loose morals, and a narrative that glorified bullying. Day one, I spoke to my students about the opportunities in the script to change this viewpoint--many of which lie between the lines on the page. There, my students because obsessed with finding the opportunities to show a different Grease. They found Sandy's moments where she makes decisions for herself on her own terms; Jan's ability to serve as the mediator; Rizzo's vulnerability despite being the tough girl; Doody's struggle with always wanting to please Danny and the guys; Danny's pressure to be the leader everyone sees in him; and, more than anything, a group of teenagers growing up in a time stated as "This is the life of illusion, wrapped up in trouble, laced with confusion," and trying to figure out "What are we doing here?"

As predicted, Grease packed our house with people who saw the fantastic talent of our students. It brought in people (and money) that we needed to elevate our program's brand. And, that momentum has continued. I had hoped for this, but I wasn't prepared for Grease to have such an effect on our community.

Parents talked with our students about what it means for them to grow up in such a time of confusion--just like at Rydell High. I can't believe I have to admit this, but Grease changed our program so much for the better. It was one of the hardest shows ever as success is not on the pages of the script. It's really more like a blank canvas. You can approach it like a caricature, or you can challenge your community to find more. But either way, the commitment to Grease is not for the faint of heart.

Jasmine Bucher
    Musical Director
    Palmyra PA