Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mary Poppins - Double or Triple Casting

Posted 11-19-2021 11:04
    Hello!

We are putting up Mary Poppins in the late winter. I am in casting mode now and have a considerably smaller cast than usual. Has anyone done this show with double or triple casting? If so, would you be willing to share your casting suggestions.

Many Thanks!

------------------------------
    [Jen] [Jordan]
    [Director of Theater and Dance]
    [Junior Class and Day Student Advisor]
    [Miss Hall's School]
    [Pittsfield] [MA]

• 2.  RE: Mary Poppins - Double or Triple Casting

Posted 11-20-2021 16:25
    Hi Jennifer

I have done many productions of Mary Poppins, some with multiple casts.  One major thing to keep in mind is the flying rehearsal time.  While dance numbers and blocking rehearsals can be done with multiple actors at the same time, flying rehearsals cannot.  Each flying actor needs their own time in the harness, so your flying team will need more stage time.  

Typically, Mary's flights are pretty easy  because she essentially has one posture while she is flying, so once the fly team learns her flight path, multiple Marys can be trained rather quickly.  However, depending on the difficulty of Bert's choreography, the various Berts may need 3-5 hours of training each, and all of this training should be done on a quiet empty stage (no dance rehearsals, no carpentry, no lighting work, etc).

This time can add up quickly, especially if the stage and cast are only available after school hours.  Also, please be sure your flying company knows that you have multiple casts so they can plan accordingly.

I hope this is helpful :-).

Tracy Nunnally
    Office/Fax: (888) 359-4255 
    Mobile: (815) 762-0181

• 3.  RE: Mary Poppins - Double or Triple Casting

Posted 11-21-2021 10:29
    Just to clarify, I am specifically looking for which characters I can double or triple cast. We only have a cast of about 20 this year 😞

[Jen] [Jordan]
    [Director of Theater and Dance]
    [Junior Class and Day Student Advisor]
    [Miss Hall's School]
    [Pittsfield] [MA]

• 4.  RE: Mary Poppins - Double or Triple Casting

Posted 11-22-2021 05:47
    When I did the show our Katy Nana, Mrs Brill, Robertson Ay, Mrs Corry and her daughters were all ensemble members also as long as time permitted the costume change. Even our statues completely changed makeup and were ensemble the rest of the show (so Neleus could be in the bank scene for example). The only people who couldn’t be double cast would be the Banks family members and Mary and Bert of course.

Toni Thomas
    English & Theatre Teacher & Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Mary Poppins - Double or Triple Casting

Posted 11-22-2021 07:11
    Hello, Jen --
    A friend of mine was in the original Broadway production of Mary Poppins. There was a lot of doubling. You can check the opening night cast list on Internet Broadway Database (IBDB) and see how actors played multiple roles. Taking out the folks who were only in the ensemble or alternated roles (the children), you might have about the right number. Of course the production also had a large wardrobe crew for the costume quick changes.

https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-production/mary-poppins-408494#OpeningNightCast

all the best,

Arlene Hutton, playwright
    Letters to Sala
    I Dream Before I Take the Stand
    Kissed the Girls & Made Them Cry
    As It Is In Heaven
    Susie Sits Shiva (EdTA commission)

faculty, The Barrow Group, NYC
    arlene@barrowgroup.org