Open Forum

View Only

Modesty

• 1.  Modesty

Posted 05-02-2018 15:01
    Hey all, I have an issue that I was hoping to get some advice on. We are a week and a half away from opening our spring show, but are having a problem with our lead actress. They are basically refusing to wear the different costume ideas that our costumer has proposed for her because they are too immodest for her and she feels very uncomfortable in them. Essentially, she doesn't want to wear any skirt or dress that shows her knees, and any top that shows any of her shoulders. I don't want my actor to feel uncomfortable on stage, and I do respect their personal morals and modesty, but it really puts us in a bind, costuming-wise. The actor has suggested several other types of costumes, but they really are not right for the design of the show, aesthetic, or the character. Is it unreasonable to expect the actor to wear a costume that complies with the school dress code (and ours is strict)? Any suggestions on how to handle this?

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher

• 2.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-02-2018 15:14
    The key is to help her think like the character and not herself. She isn't baring her shoulders, the character is. Her job is to find the truth in the character inside and out, and costumes help to that end. Unless she gave you conditions before she was cast, yes, she is required to wear what you say. Have the parents been involved in the discussion? What do they say?

Maripat Wilkinson
    Glendale WI

• 3.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-02-2018 16:08
    You're a week and a half away from opening. Did the costume designer show the costume designs to the cast (or have them try the costumes on) before now?

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 4.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-02-2018 16:53
    Yes, we have. We kept getting a "I tried it on, but it didn't fit" excuse and other vague reasons. We wouldn't normally be this close to the wire, but the person I wanted to do costumes wasn't available and so my wife has been filling that role while working full-time and taking care of our small children. Not an ideal situation, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 5.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-03-2018 09:56

Here's a game plan:

1.       Call her parents and see what is going on.  Maybe they can provide a costume for her.

2.       After you have called the parents and cannot reach a decision,  on your choice of costume,  ask yourself: Is the costume more important or is the actress more important?

3.       Once you know the answer to #2   do A) if costume is more important- recast immediately OR B) if the actress is more important- get a longer skirt and full top. 

4.       If the whole cast is aware of the situation announce that YOU decided to go a little differently with the costume.  Put it on you and you can remain in power of the situation,  put it on the child and that gives them the power in the future.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 6.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-03-2018 11:35
    I might be way off base here, but it might be worth considering whether the student has deeper underlying body image issues.  In my small middle school, this would be a quick conversation with our social worker/counselor, but I know that isn't the case everywhere.  If you sense or find that there is a deeper issue (an eating disorder, for example), then it might be worth altering the costume.  If not, then I totally agree with the comment about getting her to think about the character.

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 7.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-02-2018 16:12
    What's the show/character?

I know it might seem like it's against the greater good of the production, but it's important for the student to speak their concerns and not have someone else speak for them. Especially when it comes to their own body.

Becca Lillias

• 8.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-03-2018 05:07
    Let her wear what makes her comfortable otherwise her performance will be weak. In school theatre, it's a trade-off we make all the time.

While every director is different, I always stress that the quality of the performance always takes precedence over technical/design elements.  Just as I have altered or abandoned set designs that interfered with the quality of my performers' work, so too have I bailed on the costumer's vision if the performer can't move or work comfortably in the outfit. 

It's not how things are supposed to work, but it's a teachable opportunity for all of those in your program.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 9.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-03-2018 07:18
    I ask all of my females to wear a nude colored camisole style leotard, under their costume and all of my males to wear an undershirt and shorts under their costumes. They feel more protected and it aids in quick changes. 
    Is it possible for the character to wear a boa or stole? If not, then it goes back to what the costumer says. I actually have that written in to my actor contract.

• 10.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-04-2018 13:34
    I second the idea of a leotard or camisole.  It does not even have to be nude colored.  I encourage my actors to wear support undergarments so that they don't feel so vulnerable.  (Compression shorts for boys as well).  Even if an actor is not modest, this helps with quick costume changes.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 11.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-03-2018 08:34
    I think this is an issue that many of us deal with/will deal with if we are working for inclusive programs.  Casting and costuming is all evolving to be inclusive and we are in a great position to help lead audience expectations about what does and doesn't look 'right' on stage. This is an educational program, not professional theatre, so the obligation is to serve the growth of all students.  I'm not suggesting you aren't doing that, and yes character personality and show setting dictate how any character should be costumed.  But I think we all forget - especially the closer we get to performance - that whatever high standard of performance we are reaching for must be achieved in the context of an educational experience. 

You are super pressed for time so you need a quick and definitive solution.  We've all been there.  No matter how organized we are, there are always curve balls we end up dealing with at the last minute!  We all might be able to help with some specific suggestions on costuming solutions if we knew the character and show.  If this kid is playing Adelaide in 'Guys and Dolls' that's a much huger challenge than many other roles might be!

Julia Wharton
    Theatre Director/Educator

• 12.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-03-2018 09:35
    We had this issue a few years ago because our actress suffered from acne on her back and shoulders.  She did not have acne on her face, so no one knew how badly she had it on her back... We solved it by putting a jacket on her that went with her dress, and all was well.  She was too embarrassed to tell us about it, so it was actually one of her best friends who told us the problem.  Sometimes even in the safe places we provide, our high school students don't know how to voice what the real issues are!

Lisa Ronca
    Huxley IA

• 13.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-03-2018 10:15
    I agree with the trade off.  I am primarily a costume designer by trade and as a designer I have encountered this in many ways with many types.

One thing as a director/designer I have the designs and ideas together for the informational meeting so students can see what exactly they would be getting into before auditioning for a show or a part.  I also make sure during auditions that students realize the expectations for them if they are to be cast (costume requirements, possibly wording, stage kisses etc).  I was at a very conservative school for a while and learned to be over-protective when it comes to it.  Basically, better to hit the issues then rather than fight them during the show.

And, speaking as a female actor, there are a few times that I have encountered costumes that made me uncomfortable without any warning and just had to go with it (now those were MUCH more worse than what you are saying).  But.  To a high school girl who is overly self conscious, shoulders or showing legs can be world ending.  

Knowing the show may be easier to help with options besides what you are encountering.  Also, there may be some scars or body imperfections that make her not want to show things (just keep that in mind too, which can be hard to admit to).  

And yes, I do agree with the previous post of wearing "unders" underneath costumes (ladies - leos or camis with biker shorts and boys tanks with biker shorts) I do this to prevent costume malfunction moments and also to allow for quick changes.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Sullivan MO

• 14.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-04-2018 13:32
    Is she giving you the performance in rehearsal that you want for this character?  If so, she obviously has a different concept of how the character dresses that reconciles her own modesty with the objectives of the character.

This close to performance, I would adapt the costume designs to her needs.     

When I have a vision for costumes, I list that on the audition form so the student is forewarned.  (Ex: The fairies will be wearing costumes with a leotard base.  Would you be comfortable in such a costume?)

And like someone else who responded, I have a bin of leotards for girls who have quick changes, as well as boxer shorts and t-shirts for the guys.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 15.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-05-2018 20:30
    The biggest thing to consider is why the actress is insisting on more modest costuming. This may be based on religious or family values, past trauma, social issues, etc. Regardless of the reason, it isn't fair to ask a child to compromise on this because you could really be opening a can of worms that you don't want. I faced similar issues that were related to cultural and religious reasons.

Most likely your administration would side with the student/family, so it comes down to what battles you want to fight. I like the idea of a nude colored camisole and leggings as a compromise.

Scott Wilson
    School Counselor
    Columbus City Schools
    Columbus OH

• 16.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-06-2018 08:22
    Hey Chris. Glad to see your still keeping the arts alive in our schools! I had to weigh in on this as it is something i think about often as an educator and an artist. As educators we have to look at the teachable moments in all we do. I think that in the entertainment industry we have far too many incidents where actors are made to feel that they don't have choice and cannot stand up for their values. Or that in order to  get ahead we have to make compromises that we may be uncomfortable with, especially when it comes to women. I think regardless of the reason that she does not want to wear the costume her voice should be heard. We have to encourage artists to advocate for themselves and know that they have power and choice in what they do. Just like what someone else said earlier. Is the student more important or the show? What is the lesson you want this student to learn?

Aaron Goodson
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School
    Atlanta GA

• 17.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-06-2018 09:29
    Totally agree with Aaron!

Julia Wharton
    Theatre Director/Educator

• 18.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-07-2018 07:45
    This is clearly a very delicate issue.

I would have a sit-down with the actress, and anybody else she wants to include. I would come alone. This gives her more power, but that's fair, because I still have the final say. I would compliment her for standing by her principles. 

Then, I would try to create a compromise. Is there a design that meets your needs and hers? I would try to be as open as possible to suggestions from all, but I would remind them that if we cannot find a compromise, then the actress will have to decide if she wants to do the show in the best compromise I can live with, or if she chooses to drop out. That way, she maintains her autonomy. Sometimes doing so means sacrificing something you want in return. It's a hard ;lesson, but young people need to learn it at some point. And this way, she can't complain that she was forced to do anything, except make a very difficult choice. And maybe that reasonable compromise is possible. 

And I would have my understudy ready.

Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI

• 19.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-07-2018 12:25

Only one post has mentioned this, so I'm going to bring it up again because it's important: if you agree to a costume change, are you setting a precedent? IOW, "Well, you did it for so-and-so last year. Why can't you do it for my kid?"

Only you know your school, so this may or may not be an issue, but the last thing you want is to end up in a situation where you have to go thru this on every show. The feeling that "I don't like the costume" can be expressed in many different and creative ways.

Costumes should not come as a surprise. I understand about pulling from stock or renting, and about not having a professional designer to provide renderings, and all that, but the actors need to see their costumes way ahead of time. That way they can be fitted or altered as needed, and the actor can start feeling comfortable in the character's clothing.

And sometimes an alteration can be very simple. Back in college (where most costumes were made for the show), the designer came up with this gown that was very low cut. It was accurate to the period, but very low cut. After a bit of negotiation, the designer added a small panel to the bodice to raise the neckline. The result was still very accurate to the period, and the gown still looked basically the same, but the actress felt way more comfortable.

We've been binge-watching NCIS the last couple of weeks (has to do with having to send one of our cats to kitty heaven) and I keep hearing about Gibbs' rules.  :-)  One of mine, which isn't worded as a rule, is that it's much easier to prevent a fire than to put it out.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 20.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-07-2018 14:32
    A few years ago as I was working on a production of "Noises Off" a parent contacted me. I had cast her daughter as Brooke/Vicki, and she had seen the movie version. She told me (with a straight face) that she was worried about showing too much "nippleage." I told her I completely understood, and I was thinking more in terms of a slip. Mom offered to take her daughter shopping, and I thanked her for being so willing to help. That mom became a great supporter of the theatre program.

My advice: let the student bring in a costume that suits her modesty.
    You're not going to win if she has to perform in a costume that makes her feel uncomfortable.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA

• 21.  RE: Modesty

Posted 05-08-2018 11:32
    I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and ideas. They were all very helpful. This ended up being a teachable moment for me. I still have a lot to learn, but I suppose that is the life of an educator; we learn almost as much from teaching our students as they do from us!

A little bit more info, and an update: the student in question is not a student at my school, but a homeschooled student in our program. Upon further investigation, the issue was (as I had expected) one of religious and family morals. We were able to work out an agreeable solution (shirt with cap sleeves under the dress for the shoulders, and a slip underneath that lengthened it a bit to cover the knees) with the actor that made her comfortable and still fit with the character and aesthetic of the show, so everything should be good.

Thanks, all!

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA