Open Forum

View Only

When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

• 1.  When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-21-2015 23:34

Hi community. 

As my drama program continues to grow, I'm excited for all the possibilities. One thing that has me stymied is this - there are many great shows that require students of color but my school is seriously lacking in that area. We have 366 students in grades 9 - 12.

The kid would like to do Hairspray, but there are only two African American males, and we have few Hispanic students. I'd like to do the first musical I ever saw that changed my life by introducing me to theater - West Side Story, but again, lacking in the area of students who could be the Sharks.

Has anyone found a way to work through predicaments like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron IN

• 2.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-22-2015 09:01

I, too, share your pain.  There are a lot of shows I simply can not produce.  I do look for shows we can produce and I try to come up with interesting casting choices from time to time in order to see how that influences style, plot, concept, and script.  We produced The Romancers for example with two women in the male roles-- one time in male costume and once in female costume, and it was interesting each time.  Brings something new to the work, I think.  And, when that is acceptable to the author and publisher, I find those choices to be interesting.

A couple of thoughts I have entertained with regard to diversity-- partner with another school and or look to hire a diverse staff in our production roles.  I think the latter could have a big impact for my students.

I also think it is really important do make the right choices for your students.  How can we both empower them and challenge them.

Ultimately we serve the script and our students.

It's a struggle and one that I think we must embrace as best we can within the confines of our own paradigm.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-22-2015 09:05

I teach in Vermont in a 130 student school with two African-Americans and one Latino, so your problem is quite familiar to me. But so many good musicals feature people of color, and I want to celebrate that. So two years ago we did "In the Heights", all 130 of us involved in the production. One of our two African-American students was not in the show, because she was the choreographer!  Groups of students went down to spend the day in Washington Heights, an invaluable lesson in culture. But we played it straight, a white school celebrating Latino culture. No one was allowed to use an accent unless it passed muster with our Spanish teachers, one of whom is Mexican.  Our feeling was that the ideas in the show are bigger than the skin color of the actors, a belief that is affirmed by Lynn Manuel Miranda's decision to cast Hamilton the way he did!  The audiences got it, loved it, and supported the choice. I would encourage you to go right for it! And good luck!

Charles McMeekin
    Sharon VT

• 4.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 01-17-2019 12:33
    I want to second what Charlie said. I am also in Vermont - Two years ago we did In The Heights.  I had one african american female, one puerto-rican and one hispanic/latino and not enough males. Benny was played by a female who is hispanic/latino.  They were dating the student who played NIna. Everyone else was white. Rutland is a city  that is working to solve the problems of poverty and drug abuse.  The story of this musical- a community coming together- resonated with me and my students. I kept telling them that this was what was important- the story and learning about the culture that was different from their own . The similarities are often more  important than the differences. The show was a huge success and brought many people together.  We also did "Once On This Island" many years ago with  no diversity- telling the story from the point of view of rich and poor. In that show I had a young woman in a wheelchair who was a part of the opening and to whom the little girl ran to at the end.  Theatre is about telling stories and learning about cultures and lives that are different from our own but always recognizing that  we are all human and our similarities are what helps us to understand our differences. 
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 5.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-22-2015 11:28
    We did Hairspray at the local Jewish Community Center youth theatre. Did some rewrites to make it about bet nicks instead of black being persecuted. The producer and director offered a talk-back session defending the choice.
    I think why it worked was where it was at. No one understands persecution better than the Jewish community. They were pleased with the choices and the opportunity to share in the talk back sessions. But in a traditional white school that may be more challenging. My predecessor did Hairspray as her last musical at GW. We have the diversity to pull it off. The trick was recruiting enough kids who don't usually do theatre to get involved to fill the cast.
    You can take the beat nick approach but in my opinion, the story loses quite a bit without the racial tension.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 6.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-22-2015 12:17

I must admit, after reading some of the responses to this post, I had to step away and take some deep breaths so that I gave you advice that was beneficial. I don't know if when you say you have 2 African-American students and a few Latin-Americans you mean in your program or in your school at large.

If you mean the former, then my advice is to actively recruit. Bring the mountain to Mohammed. Let them know and see that you have a desire and a plan to diversify your department, which begins with your choice of material.

If the issue is the latter, I'm not sure how feasible it is logistically, but could you partner with a school that has your target population? Even if there is not (or maybe especially if there is not) a theatre department at that school. It could be a great way to expand your audience, share cost, and best of all broaden the learning experience for all those involved.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 7.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 01-14-2019 13:16
    I totally appreciate your perspective! I'd like to pick your brain a little further, though. First, I COMPLETELPY agree that we should all be constantly searching for ways to diversify our programs to include students of all colors, sizes, and abilities. However, I personally would be careful when partnering with other schools for diversity's sake. I say this for one reason: people have value, and if we tell them their value is that they can be the people of color in the show we've been dying to do, that's not a great message.

The predominantly white (although quickly diversifying) school where I teach recently partnered to support a neighboring school's theatre department. This school's population is predominantly black and hispanic. When we announced the partnership, first reactions were "We can finally do Hairspray!" This made me CRINGE. The partnership is about working together, not recruiting black people for our show. Our partnership is limited (at least for the time being) to workshops and skills-based growth rather than productions. This sounds harsh, but I feel strongly about it! We are currently producing West Side Story with few students of color, and are being very intentional about the way we portray Puerto Rican people, including closely studying culture, accents, and the experience of immigration. We are also reaching out the the community at large (in our city, this includes a large Hispanic population) and providing study guides, hosting talkbacks, and releasing a video that explains our decision to take on this show.

I would highly encourage partnering with another school, especially one that is so vastly different from your own. Our kids' lives have changed because of the people they have met through our partnership! However, make sure your intentions are not to "use" people of color just to fill roles. Truly make the partnership about growing together and understanding one another. If a production with a diverse cast arises from that partnership, then great!

Ellie Smoak Austin
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Upper School Theatre Assistant Director
    Chattanooga TN

• 8.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 10-01-2019 15:52
    I am having difficulty of a different sort.  I come from good solid Viking stock, but I am "woke" enough to know that I need to serve the communities, all of them, that feed to my school.   In the past we did total color blind and gender blind casting, and made sure everyone got to participate who wanted to.  We double cast a white and African American Sandy in Grease, had many ethnicities in the Burger Palace Boys, cast Dorothy and her Aunt in The Wiz with girls of color, but color blind cast the rest of the show, Black Jesus in Godspell, etc.  But those have always been an effort to shoehorn young actors of color into roles that they were good in, but not necessarily something that spoke to them and their culture.

I found an excellent adaptation of The Watsons go to Birmingham 1964 that I want to do. It is a book they all read in middle school or late elementary school.  It would put a lot of behinds in seats as well, and show our young black actors that their stories are just as valid and carry just as much weight.  Now, after years of being proud of ourselves for color blind casting, we have a chance to produce a show that really speaks to them, but I'm being told that white actors and actresses need to be included.  Historically speaking, in the inner city schools of 1963-64, this would not be appropriate.  Any advice?
    Oh, and I'm going to team direct this with a Lit teacher of color.   I just don't feel like I should do this one solo.

Bob Birdsong
    Maumelle High School Theater
    Maumelle, AR

Robert Birdsong
    Maumelle AR

• 9.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 01-13-2020 10:48
    Greetings Mr. Fletcher,
    I appreciated your response a great deal.  My husband and I teach at a Catholic girl's school and our program is partnered with the Catholic boy's school across the street.  Our schools lack diversity and although we do have a percentage of Asian American and Latino students the population of Black students is quite small.  I can say that the former groups participate in our theatre program quite a bit but the few black students we have typically are active in other areas.  I have a dream of producing RAGTIME or HAIRSPRAY, particularly because of the lessons they teach and the stories they tell about humanity/race and culture.  However, we just don't have the kids of color in our community.  I have thought about partnering with another school to produce RAGTIME and would love to pick your brain about how you would go about such a process.  I do have close friends in the professional theatre community who could possibly guide me through this, particularly from a Black perspective.  But I would love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks,
    Wendy Short-Hays
    Director of Performing Arts 
    VISTA Productions
    Theatre of Visitation School and Saint Thomas Academy

Wendy Short-Hays
    Artistic Director of Performing Arts
    Richfield MN

• 10.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-23-2015 08:07

As an African American Director in a "white" school. I run into this issue more than  you think. I have a couple of "black" students and would love to do more diverse shows. However, my suggestion to you is to break the mode by allowing those black students to have more substantial, classically white roles. I had the privilege of  being cast in Les Mis twice as Jean Valjean and once as Enjolras. I believe it speaks bigger volumes if you step outside of social norms, rather than change a story to try and get around the diversity, isn't that the entire point of the show? If you don't have the cast, don't do the show. However, if you believe you have students in the school who are capable, then recruit! 

Alonzo Richmond
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Louisville KY

• 11.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-23-2015 08:49

Well, I'm happy to say I don't have that problem. My problem is I want to do The Foreigner but the play has no parts for my black students and if you put a black actor into the play it throws the play way off!

Some comments on the previous postings:

I hope that any changes you made in Hairspray were with permission. I keep bringing this up but I don't think a lot of teachers get it. 

I believe that if I don't have the cast I don't do the play. I'm not going to do Titus Andronicus and have Aaron the Moor played by a white actor. Nor will I do Othello w/o a black actor. 

Build your program. Easier said than done. Black actors won't  audition if you don't do black plays but you can't do black plays w/o black actors. Just wait, Godot will arrive.

AND if you do get good black actors they will be spread thin, having so many obligations, like all your high-achieving students.

I think West Side Story can work, also In the Heights.

Good luck, break a leg, et al.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 12.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-23-2015 08:52

Also, check this out:

On the Rights of Playwrights and White Tears

AMERICAN THEATRE remove preview
    On the Rights of Playwrights and White Tears
    Last week, Clarion University in Pennsylvania was forced to cancel its planned production of Lloyd Suh's Jesus in India . The reason: casting. Three of the characters were written as Indians, and the predominantly white school had cast two white actors and one mixed-race actor in the roles.
    View this on AMERICAN THEATRE >
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 13.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-24-2015 11:04
    The first production I ever saw of the Foreigner (in Muncie, I think)  had an African American actor in the title role. It made perfect sense to me. I did it a couple of years ago with an Asian student in the role of the secretly-racist pastor. He was the best actor for the part, and the play is so solid it made perfect sense. When we did Othello, the Polynesian student who played Iago was darker-skinned than the African American student who played the Moor. It worked.
    In my experience, the race of the actors cast in the play also matches the racial makeup of the audience. They'll get it.

It helps to think of race in the same category as age. Do we limit ourselves to only doing plays where the roles are the same age as the actors playing them? Of course not. We cast teenagers as adults, even senior citizens all the time, and our audience never says: he can't play a 40 year old. He's only 17. They know, without being told, that we are presenting stories to them with the actors we have, with an audience that is mostly their friends, families, and classmates.

Billy Houck
    California Chapter Co-Director
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA

• 14.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-23-2015 09:44

I have a number of responses to this thread, as someone who works on behalf of the inclusion of artists of color and artists with disabilities (at Inclusion in the Arts in NYC) and artists' rights (as director of the Arts Integrity Initiative at The New School College of Performing Arts). I have been prominently involved in recent controversies over THE MIKADO at the New York Gilbert and Sullivan Players, THE  MOUNTAINTOP at Kent State University and JESUS IN INDIA at Clarion University. However, I should note that these were, respectively, professional, community theatre and college productions.

When you consider shows for your school, you usually think in advance about whether you believe you have the talent in any given year to pull it off. That same consideration should be given to racial representation generally, according to the directives in the script – the directives of the authors. The licensing houses have heard countless requests to allow variances for gender and for race and they can guide you as to what is and is not permitted. This is especially true when it comes to making any changes in a script, for any reason at all; no one has the right to alter work at their discretion, regardless of the reason. But just because you don’t have significant numbers of black or Latino or Asian or Native American students in your school is not a carte blanche to ignore the racial implications of casting. The recommendation above about partnering with schools that may add diversity is an excellent one and I applaud it, but in some communities even that is not an option.

Because he is cited in this comment chain, I can tell you that Lin-Manuel Miranda is OK with predominantly white high schools doing IN THE HEIGHTS, because he believes that high school is the last opportunity students will have to perform before they are “typed,” limiting roles they can play in the future. However has asked that drama groups take the time to truly learn about the community they’re portraying, and that they not use false accents or make up to make them look Latin. Lin also notes that he directed WEST SIDE STORY when he was in a predominantly white high school, and brought in his dad to coach the students. But again, it came from a place of respect and learning.

I have heard tell of the authors granting rights to HAIRSPRAY to schools with no black students, though I find it hard to imagine such a production. However, I have also heard of a case in Massachusetts where a high school did THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE and came under fire for its portrayal of Asian characters – in a community where nearly 1 in 5 residents were Asian-American. This was not because roles weren’t cast authentically (they were) but because of the Asian roles themselves. In this day and age, I personally am hard-pressed to rationalize producing THE FOREIGNER in any high school, given that the KKK is a plot device in the show, even if they are ultimately to be the subject of ridicule.

In recent weeks, many have pointed to HAMILTON as the justification for casting anyone of any race in any role. I think that’s misleading. The casting of HAMILTON is purposeful and, again, a decision of the author. While he has made comments about looking forward to seeing women in some of the male roles someday, that doesn’t mean Lin has, as of yet, had anything to say about whether white actors may play the leads. And that remains his right to determine, not just on Broadway, but in any future production.

I continue to explore these issues at the academic, community and professional level at the Arts Integrity Initiative. When it comes to high schools, there isn’t necessarily a one size fits all solution. However, as we work to model a better, more inclusive world through theatre, I urge drama teachers and directors to consult multiple sources when addressing race on stage – the licensing houses, resources in your community, and feel free to reach out to me as well. 

Howard Sherman
    New York NY

• 15.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-23-2015 10:32

Something I do in general is color blind casting. This has been established in my department since my arrival. That being said, i try REALLY hard to ensure that if a specific ethnicity is required for a character I use it. I have a very small ethnic community (both on campus and in my department). When I did Aida some on my Nubians were redheads but Aida was Polonisian in ethnicity. 

It's always a difficult issue to deal with. In general, at the middle or high school level, I like the idea of color blind casting. It allows the kids to stretch themselves and has them learn about other cultures.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 16.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-24-2015 15:18

While I agree with and practice color blind casting in some shows/characters, there are others that must be a certain race or ethnicity for the integrity of the story.  I'm not going to do Hairspray or Of Mice and Men, even though the kids are begging, because I don't have the right kids for it right now.  I've told the kids that if they want to do that, they need to recruit the right people.  

On the flipside, the White Rabbit in our upcoming Alyce in Wonderland is black, which gave us all a bit of an ironic chuckle - including her.

I love the ideas of trying to partner up with other schools, or looking at shows that can be done without the "correct" demographic in a way that holds the integrity of the playwright's intentions (such as In the Heights).

It's also interesting that my kids don't seem to see the racial issues like we do.  I was having a conversation with one of my kids and her mom the other day and the student asked if we could do Hairspray.  When I explained why it wasn't a great option for us, she said "couldn't someone do it and we could just use makeup to make them look black?"  As a freshman, she'd never heard of blackface or minstrel shows or any of that.  It was a great teaching moment, for both of us - I had never dreamed that information wasn't a part of the kids' knowledge.  Changed the way I approach those conversations to be sure.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 17.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-25-2015 05:53

My palest of pale theatre group did "In the Heights" a few years ago to much success even though we had only one hispanic student in the cast.  The Puerto Rican community came out to support us by teaching my students how to dance, providing authentic items for the bodega and advertising to everyone they knew.  They were just happy to see their story told on stage and to connect to the students in our school.

Derek Anderson
    Teacher
    Calvert County Public Schools
    Owings MD

• 18.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-26-2015 09:36

I generally don't re-reply, but somehow I feel like the spirit of the original question is being lost. Am I wrong in asserting that Jared was looking to increase diversity, not avoid it. While I agree that if you don't have the right actors for the show, you shouldn't do it, I also don't think this was a solution to the problem posed. Jared already knew he could choose another show. That's what he's been doing.

Secondly, while I too support colorblind casting, only to the extent that it promotes diversity, not to compensate for a lack of diversity. I think In the Heights and West Side Story work with colorblind casting because these stories are about culture and ethnic identity more than they are about race. You certainly can't colorblind cast Ragtime or Memphis. If there is absolutely no way to pull such shoes off, then you rightly should just not bother, but if there are creative solutions which will expand your program and the scope of those involved, give them a try. If they don't work, at the least you've learned what won't work.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 19.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-25-2015 12:37

I am currently wrestling with this situation on a couple different fronts.  I am casting Sound of Music soon, and I have assured the many actors of all races interested in auditioning that I plan to cast "race-blind" so that there is a place in the show for non-white actors, even if it's set in Austria.  My little Gretl is likely to be Hispanic, unless an unexpected younger sister shows up at auditions.  I confess, this was easier to do  with Julius Caesar (African-American and female Brutus) because I didn't need official permission from the licensing house.

Despite saying that, however, I believe that casting non-white students as the Nazi soldiers would dilute the horror and the guilt of their presence in a way that would be damaging to the play as a whole.

You have to do it thoughtfully, in short, and with permission, but I think you're more likely to gain from casting minority actors in traditionally white roles than to lose.

On a potentially lighter note, we're an all-girl school that shares actors with an all-boy school, and the other director and I are currently competing over an actress whom we both think would make a good Maria (he is doing West Side Story).  A friend of mine commented when I told her that, "If she's Hispanic, you should let him win.  I'm tired of seeing white Marias in that show."  She is, and he was always going to win anyway, but now I feel a little better about it.

I think it's frustrating to see minority roles going to white actors of any age because there are fewer even before you take them away.  As the director at an all-girls' school, I've got almost immune to the pleas to do shows I know we shouldn't -- usually because of the dearth of female characters in anything but the lead role.  I'm used to telling students that I'm sorry they've always wanted to play Aldonza, but we CAN'T do Man From La Mancha.  Or at least we really shouldn't.

I know it feels stifling sometimes and we want them to do shows they find interesting and the conversations we provoke can be important -- but in my experience, casting white actors in explicitly non-white roles has had more of a silencing effect than it has provoked important conversations.

Katy Mulvaney
    Houston TX

• 20.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-26-2015 05:50
    I love reading this thread. Beware, however, that recent news from Samuel French and Dramatists Play Service says that directors may NOT change the race of a character without the author's express permission. They have even added clauses to their contracts. I think these additions are a result of a recent kerfuffle about a white actor being cast as Martin Luther King ( not in a high school production). When I expressed some concern about what this would do to the color blind casting tradition, especially in high schools where casting options are naturally limited and students are interesting in shows about all sorts of cultures, I was told by one person I don't belong in theatre if I approved of, say, giving a white actress the role of Tituba in The Crucible, even if the only African American actress was cast as Elizabeth Proctor. (I believe the new Broadway production has cast the show in a similar way.) I think we always need to serve the show, so we must cast with a respect and understanding of the author's intent. at the same time, I think playwrights are limiting their legacies with this clause. One of the reason Shakespeare has endured is that it is adaptable to all sorts of eras and cultures because the themes and characters resonate on so many levels. While I wouldn't cast a white actor as Iago because the play makes so many references to his race as a factor in his world, some plays expressly about race seem to work just fine when adapted to other cultures. In the early 80s, I saw Raisin in the Sun with Mexican Americans. In that time and place, where prejudices were still rampant, especially in housing markets, that production was an eye opener and a agent of change. Wasn't that what Hansberry intended? Food for thought.

Sent from my iPad

• 21.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-26-2015 09:18

I have very much appreciated the responses to this post.  Very helpful.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 22.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 11-27-2015 07:27
    Whoops. I meant Othello, not Iago. Darn iPad! Makes typing tricky!

Sent from my iPad

• 23.  Ragtime

Posted 11-25-2015 00:05

With a cast that had two African-Americans and 85 Whites, I was able to direct a full blown production of RAGTIME.  We differentiated the WASP, People of Harlem, and Jewish immigrants by color of costume and lighting.  WASPs-white, People of Harlem-red, and Jewish immigrants-blue.  The opening Prologue allowed us to establish the basic color of each group and the audience could follow the story's progression from that point onward.  Choreography also differentiated each group.  The finale, which creates a new multi-ethnic family, also allowed me to create a backdrop for the final silhouette (of the family) with the ensemble actors in red, white, and blue bibs forming the US flag in multiple tiers. 

On Broadway a number of years ago the family in "110 In The Shade" was cast without regard to race and HAMILTON, presently on Broadway, has been cast the same.

I've always found audiences accepting of liberties taken by directors as long as they are established early and are consistent throughout the production.  

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 24.  RE: Ragtime

Posted 11-27-2015 17:50

Wow ... thank you all for the discussion provided here.

Hugh - thank you for your input. You're right, I have been avoiding shows where I cannot fulfill due to lack of diversity. It's my school, not the program. I'm actually the most diverse group in my little school of 366 with three of the five African American students in my program and many LGBT actors and actresses. I love the idea of partnering with another school. However, I don't want to come off in a bad light by asking for students of race to come audition.

I have no barriers with regards to race when casting a show. If a student is the best fit for a role by how he/she auditions, that's the person who gets the role. 

Thank you community for the many ideas and great dialogue.

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron IN

• 25.  RE: Ragtime

Posted 01-17-2019 10:40
    Hi All,
    I'm so gratified that we are a community of educators having this specific discussion with thoughtfulness, depth, and respect.  It's in that spirit that I feel really moved to reply.

I'm writing as a white teacher who serves a highly diverse school - 45% latinex, 20% black, 20% white, 15% east asian.  In our theatre classes together, we talk about equity in casting, including the historic underrepresentation of actors of color, and the alienation and othering especially of asian and east asian actors (in my opinion, Thoroughly Modern Millie never needs to be produced again).  I'm open with them about why, when choosing monologues, a black actor may read something from Alice in Wonderland, but a white actor may not read Beneatha from Raisin in the Sun.  Issues of oppression, representation, and appropriation are real in our industry and in our schools, and deserve to be addressed.

I feel strongly that to produce Ragtime (or similar plays) without black bodies onstage, or allowing a substitute for a black body, is an act of erasure that sends the wrong message to all of our students.  It reinforces a primary assumption of white supremacy - that white people are entitled to all things.  It is in the interest of our white students' humanity to teach them that some stories cannot belong to them and are not theirs to tell.  This is reparative work in a society that struggles with a white supremacist mindset.  

I want to amplify what Hugh Fletcher said earlier, that "I too support colorblind casting, only to the extent that it promotes diversity, not to compensate for a lack of diversity."  If you don't have actors of color for a show that tells their story, do a different show.  You will be doing all of your students a service.

Finally, to clear up a misconception, Hamilton is not an example of color-blind casting - the play was designed from the beginning to feature men and women of color.  Director Tommy Kail said of the multi-ethnic cast that "We never imagined casting the show in any other way – never for one second," he said. "We are very conscious of what we are doing here. This is not color-blind casting. It felt essential."

Bryce Cahn
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Tompkins Square Middle School
    New York, NY

• 26.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 01-18-2019 10:02
    We have the same diversity issue in our rural school. Added to that, we are pretty small, many students are involved in multiple organizations and it is very difficult to work around schedules. We have stuck with mostly MTI Disney shows because we have always been able to cast these shows... This year, my students came to me requesting to do Hairspray Jr . I've always said NO in the past, but this year instead of NO, I told them to go out and FIND me the cast I need if they wanted to do this show! And guess what....THEY DID. We went from 17 students auditioning for Peter Pan last year to 41 students auditioning this year for Hairspray. It is girl heavy (as usual)....but we will be able to make it work! I'm super excited and the kids are too!

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 27.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 10-02-2019 10:17
    Something I wanted to add to the voices in this discussion and something that resonated with me when someone mentioned wanting to do The Watson go to Birmingham 1964. 

A few years ago it became painfully apparent to me that while I had students of color involved in my program, I was always casting them in parts written for white people. There was never a chance for them to show their own voice and identity and frankly it also hurt them in casting because the shows didn't feature roles necessarily that fit well with their acting style. 

So I changed that. The concern some people have is that you are "taking away" opportunities from your already involved white students. A way I got around this concern: I added a show to the schedule. Now I will admit I am a crazy person doing 5 productions a year but I felt like it is what I needed to do to feature students of color. Last year we did Trey Anthony's Da Kink in My Hair and this year Mike Lew's Tiger Style (i legitimately think in 10 years this is the first time I've done a show with a character written to be Asian. Playwrights! We got to do better!) 

My school is 50% white 30% Asian 12% Hispanic and 8% white but what I have found is that when you engage students of color within your community and they know a show is about them, they show up to audition when they never have before and they are great. I also make a point of making sure I am not the only director in the room as a Cis Gendered straight white male. I have students co-directing these shows with me who are from these demographics.

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 28.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 10-14-2019 11:10
    Your thoughtful post made me realize that when I have a talented actor of color, maybe I should look for a part that would showcase him/her.  I agree that my students of color would like to play a person of color in plays in much the same way that my sopranos seek out roles that showcase who THEY are.  The bottom line is that we teachers are always trying to meet the needs of all of our  students, and that is why I love educational theatre.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 29.  RE: When Shows Require Diversity but the School is Not Diverse

Posted 10-14-2019 11:01
    I teach in a small school in Kansas.  We lack not only diversity but students in general.  I HAVE to use colorblind casting so that I can use the best actresses and singers.  Consequently, I have had black, Hispanic, and Asian players in leading roles because they were the best. 
    I do tend to avoid plays that require a diverse cast, because I know I will not have enough "diverse" students to fill the rolls.  I really liked the television version of Cinderella which had a multi-racial cast.  And the success of Hamilton proves how great color-blind casting can be.  
    The worst dilemma I had was when I did The Miracle Worker and had a couple young bi-racial actors that I needed to cast in small parts.  I chose NOT to cast them as the servants and instead cast them as people in the asylum.  I wasn't comfortable with the stereotype of having my black actors cast as servants.  (This dilemma is similar to the director deciding whom to cast as Elisabeth and whom to cast as Tituba in The Crucible.)  Sometimes people (mostly white people) complain when I cast a minority student in a traditionally white role, and I gently ask them to think if there was any actor on the stage who could sing or act as well.  
    I really like the fact that the Jr. plays from MTI are flexible with male/female casting. Our small school just needs to do whatever we can to make it work!

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS