Open Forum

View Only

Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

• 1.  Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-16-2017 13:42
    I received a call from the American High School Theatre Festival today inviting our program to perform at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2019. I am just curious if anyone out there is familiar with this and can give me some insight. I have never heard of this, but the person I spoke to said we were nominated by someone but she couldn't tell me who.

Any information would be helpful!

------------------------------
    Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    Jefferson High School
    Jefferson, GA

• 2.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 07:07
    They are legit.  I did AHSTF with them in Summer of '16.  Kids had a blast and they do almost all the planning which is such a load off.  Some downsides are that you only have a couple hours to Tech the entire show and on the day/eve of your performance you only have a half hour load-in/out pre and post performance. performing was great but it was about being at the festival and the energy and the work that you see and the work that inspires.

as far as your phone call.  Not to burst any bubble but they say they work of nominations but in my experience they really will take anyone who has the means to pay. At the end of the trip they ask who would you like to "nominate"/refer.  That's probably how they got your name.

long and short is that it is a pretty great trip.

best,

Jason Peck
    St. Luke's School
    Ridgefield CT

• 3.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 07:49
    I am also interested!! I received a similar phone call.

--
    Hillary Bogers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) E-mail correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 4.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 09:21
    Our school attended the AHSTF Fringe Festival in 2014 and 2017, and it is an unforgettable experience for the students, and a great item to add to your resume.  We were nominated by a local theatre professor and then applied to attend.  Once you have participated, you can nominate other schools, and go back as many times as you like.  Most groups have excellent productions, but there are some schools that are ill-prepared.

Some takeaways that I would share:

1.  The trip is very expensive and costs about $6,000 per student from the East Coast.  We did a lot of fundraising, and were able to raise about half that money for each participant.  The trip is all inclusive and includes a lot of side trips, and most meals.  The other huge expense AHSTF covers (and makes it understandable why it costs so much) is that the cost includes a performance space, tech team, and insurance already covered.  I have tried to calculate how much it would cost to do this independently and it is staggering.  So yes, the trip is expensive, but with all the amenities and production considerations included, it is really the only way I know that an American school could perform at the Fringe.

2.  Whatever show you choose, it will have to be reduced to 90 minutes in length.  The Fringe allows a maximum of 2 hours in their spaces, and 15 minutes at the front and back end of that time are for set up and strike.  You should also choose a show that has Fringe-y curb appeal, as you are competing with 2,000 other shows, and you want to have a production that will attract attention.

3.  My school is excited and encourages our dramatics program to participate at the Fringe, and it generates an aura around the program.  In the ultra-competitive private school market, it gives the school an added selling point.

Obviously, I am a fan of this trip, but I would liken it to doing a second theatre season, in addition to your other responsibilities at your school.  It is a huge endeavor, and the better you can plan for it back home, the more fun you will have overseas.

Christian Garretson
    Towson MD

• 5.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 08:10
    I took students to AHSTF in both 2006 and 2009. While I LOVED the experience, the fundraising to cover the costs is overwhelming so I'll probably never do it again. (Some schools who were there just charged the kids the total and they paid it. Even working in a wealthy suburb, that was not my experience. Especially since it is on you to cover chaperone and production costs, too).  Each participant is asked to nominate 5 other schools, so its likely someone in your area nominated you or someone far and wide familiar with your work.

I would love to take students to the fringe sometime without the sky high costs, but that's probably a pipe dream. 

• 6.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 08:20
    Our school has been nominated pretty much every year for the past fifteen. I know lots of schools who have taken advantage of this opportunity but it is simply too expensive for us to even consider. I throw their mail away unopened.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 7.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 08:30
    I received this call, also, and when I checked further into it, this is the information I found out (email from theiur representative).

1.      Who nominated Waseca/Where did you get our name?

Over the past 23 years we have had requests from many deserving schools to have the opportunity to apply for AHSTF without a nomination.  This year we have opened our process to schools that likely would not receive a nomination through our current process yet have been recommended by other schools, Theater Directors or conferences as schools that have outstanding theater programs that would be good candidates to be considered for AHSTF.

2.      What is the total cost of the event not including airfare?

Attached is the pricing info but all of our programs include roundtrip air.  We do not offer land only options due to the detailed nature of the logistics on the ground for this program.

3.      Other than international travel, what benefit does our troupe receive from attending the festival (in other words, what makes this better than the International Thespian Festival held every year in Lincoln, Nebraska, other than the international aspect)?

This is not about international travel.  This is about performing at the world's largest performing arts festival.  Participation in the AHSTF during the Festival Fringe allows your students to perform alongside theatre companies from around the world.  In addition, students can receive free college credit with their participation, they will be able to attend a college fair where they can interact with and learn about college theater recruiting opportunities, and the Theater Director and any other accompanying teachers earn free Professional Development points.

My reading of this is that they no longer only accept nominations, but are cold calling.  This is unfortunate, because they still tried to make me believe this was an honor.

The cost is also prohibitive for most troupes that I know (see below) but you have to specifically ask to see that.  they don't advertise it anywhere.

The average cost for AHSTF 2018 = $6572.00 per person
    Cost ranged from $6862.00 per person - $6074.00 per person
    Average group size for AHSTF 2018 = 18 participants

If your group size increases to a higher category, you will qualify for additional discounts. Likewise, if your group size
    decreases to a lower category, a supplement will apply. Final costs are based on group size at time of travel. Please
    see these costs outlined below.

Group Size Category Cost
    10-15* Traveling Full Program Participants (FPP) $6,647(includes $75 per FPP supplement)
    16-25 Traveling Full Program Participants (FPP) $6,572 (no additional discount)
    26-35 Traveling Full Program Participants (FPP) $6,497 (includes $75 per FPP discount)
    36-45 Traveling Full Program Participants (FPP) $6,422 (includes $150 per FPP discount)
    46+ Traveling Full Program Participants (FPP) $6,347 (includes $225 per FPP discount)

It's a great opportunity, but not practical for most programs that I know of.  Hope that this helps.

Dawn Skinner
    Waseca, MN

Dawn Skinner
    Elysian MN

• 8.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 08:27
    I have the exact same question. I'm a new H.S. Drama teacher. This is only my second year. 

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 9.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 09:08
    Our school gets "nominated" every year and I would love to take my students. I believe that international travel is one of the best things you can offer students. I have taken students to London and Greece and they still thank me and tell me how it opened up their world.

That said, the AHSTF is so expensive. I have talked to several schools who have gone and they all say it's a game-changer for their students but fund-raising is all-consuming. I have a friend who used to to tech for one of the venues in Edinburgh and she praises the organization. 

If I won the lottery I'd take a production but I don't see that happening before I retire this year!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 10.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 09:51
    We've presented at the Fringe twice.

But never with AHSTF.

You can do it on your own for half the price, perform every day you're there, see and be a part of more of the actual Fringe Festival (which is by far the BEST experience I've had with students).

Search around in community - a couple of us who have gone Fringe GDI have posted about it in the past.  Cheers!!

Michael Fisher
    School Director,
    The Academy of Arts and Academics
    Springfield OR

• 11.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 14:24
    Hello,

My school has done the trip in both 2015 and again in 2017.  We go to a school where nearly 50% of the kids are on free/reduced lunch, and we were able to fund raise about 1/2 the cost of the trip per kid/chaperone.  
    Yes, the trip is pricey, but it is TWO weeks with pretty much everything but one meal/day and souvenirs paid for.  The kids have such an incredible time not only in London, but also in Edinburgh.  The students from different schools get to know each other and support each other's shows.  
    There's also a FAM (familiarization) trip for teachers to go on the summer before they take students.  It is a bit of a "wine and dine" experience, but it can totally seal the deal (or not) by seeing how things are first hand before you fully commit.
    The nice thing is that, once you are accepted, you have about 16 months to fund raise/pay for the trip.  We encouraged kids to get summer jobs, baby-sit, mow lawns as well as fund raise.  We did some big ones:  silent auctions, yard sales, spirit nights, and a thing called Flipgive (which is GREAT!).  I've even kept using Flipgive with our Drama Boosters because it was so successful.  
    The performance experience is fun for the kids and it teaches them so much about what doing theatre in the real world is really like.  
    Getting to meet the other teachers on the trip and knowing all the staff by first name made the experience more than just a "trip" and just a "show".  It's something my students were so proud and honored to do.  
    Also, the best things about this trip are that the kids (and adults) have single rooms while in Edinburgh which helps everyone stay friends on the trip!  And, the night security is worth any extra costs.  It's nice, as a teacher, to actually feel like you can sleep on a trip and know the students are all accounted for and can't leave the building after check in.  If anyone has questions or wants more details about the trip, please send me an email.  lldyer@henrico.k12.va.us.

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 12.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 15:00

I received mail and a phone call also and then a voice message and email. I want to know if  this is a marketing campaign. Anyone else bombarded? 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 13.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-18-2017 08:52
    Hi, I'll echo some others: invited every year, not an "honor". AHSTF is actually just a program created by a travel company here in Virginia. So they are a legit travel company. Not a legit honor or festival. They're just buying space at the pre-existing Fringe Festival for schools to perform.

Fringe- as others have stated- is something you can take kids to on your own for a fraction of the cost. I know this because when I was in college we attended the ACTF- by the same company and then went again 2 years later independent of the travel company. Fringe Festival will take anyone who wants to attend- you just have to be able to afford the space rental fees. You can find the information here:

Take part
    Edinburgh Festival Fringe remove preview
    Take part
    Official website of Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the largest arts festival in the world. Find everything you need, whether you want to take part or book tickets.
    View this on Edinburgh Festival Fringe >

So if international travel is something you're interested in you can do it if you plan it yourself (or have a parent plan it) for a fraction of the cost. We never go because we have a partnership with a school in the UK and travel there every other year already to perform a collaborative full-fledged musical. We fundraise a lot of that and our students pay nothing- they just buy passports. So, I can also say I know it is entirely possible to fundraise enough money to travel 20 people to the UK- but it is a full time job in it's own right.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA Theatre '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 14.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-17-2017 17:25
    Just a quick note: If AHST is cost-prohibitive for your students, but you'd still like to do an international trip with them, consider taking a production to the National Festival of Youth Theatre (NFYT) in Ayrshire, Scotland; the Aberdeen Youth International Festival in Aberdeen, Scotland; or the International Youth Arts Festival in Kingston-Upon-Thames, England. I've attended all of them, but I shadowed NFYT particularly closely last year. It's about thirty minutes outside of Glasgow at the historic Gaiety Theatre and nearby Rozelle Park Campground. For $200 per student, you receive:
    - Accommodations (although you'll have to bring tents and sleeping bags!)
    - All meals
    - Tickets to all festival performances
    - Workshops with professional theatre practitioners from all across Scotland
    - Social events after-hours for students
    And you get to perform your show on the Gaiety stage, which is absolutely beautiful. (If they stay at the Gaiety next year! They recently moved there from another [equally lovely] space, and they were giving it a trial run.) Aberdeen has a similar program where for about $65/day per student, your students get their accommodations (on the college campus), all meals, tickets to festival performances, workshops, transportation around town, and pick-up/drop-off at their local airport. They also provide you with a technical crew, marketing team, and point-person to help you navigate the festival.

While I love the Edinburgh Fringe, $6,000+ to bring a show there is excessive, especially in a country that specifically works to make participation in the arts affordable for everyone. If you want to drop by the Edinburgh Fringe and get the lay of the land, it's fairly simple to produce a show there on your own without AHST's help. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've attended the festival at least once and know some theatre companies that've produced shows there independently in the past, but you definitely don't need to hire a company to manage that for you. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about international arts festivals. (I know and have worked with most of the ones in the UK!)

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 15.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-18-2017 09:21

As a self-producing playwright with four Edinburgh Festival Fringe productions (including Last Train to Nibroc, I Dream Before I Take the Stand and As It Is In Heaven), I know first hand what it's like to bring a company to an Edinburgh venue. The AHSTF replicates that experience exactly, with a two-hour tech and fifteen-minute load-ins, overseen by a seasoned and supportive staff. The wide range of high school productions go from Shakespeare and the classics, to children's plays to modern comedies and dramas and devised original pieces. We premiered a play there, Kissed the Girls and Made Them Cry.

As a commissioned playwright I was privileged to join a high school group invited to the AHSTF in 2015. Their teacher had taken students twice before. Working through the fall and spring semester I was asked to create an "edgy" play about teens and sexual assault, Kissed the Girls and Made Them Cry, for students at a public high school in CT, and I met up with them in Edinburgh. Years earlier I had been impressed with AHSTF's work at the Fringe but was even more impressed as an insider with past festival experience as a self-producer. The dormitory housing was very comfortable (I was housed in a different building but visited the students for group meetings), the included breakfasts were great and I was blown away by how organized everything was. Security was very tight; the students had curfews and I was allowed in their dorm only when accompanied by their teacher. They were bused to and from the venue and since I was not part of the travel package I was not allowed on the bus, an inconvenience that I completely understood. In addition to a couple of days in London and Stratford, the groups received tickets to four other AHSTF shows, so each production had a built-in audience. Their teacher encouraged them to explore other Fringe shows on their own, in groups, and I treated them all to balcony seats at one of the major productions as a thank you. One thing that helped us was moving the production to a different space before heading to Edinburgh. A company in NYC gave us a day in their space to tech the show and do two performances in a 99-seat blackbox, in essence rehearsing a tech/load-in. (This also gave the students an Off-off-Broadway credit for their resumes. Representatives from Playscripts were in attendance; the young actors' names are now in the published script.)

As a professional playwright based in NYC, I pay special attention when a young actor has an AHSTF credit on their resume. They've probably also seen a wide range of world-class theatre on small stages. Performing at a fringe festival anywhere gives an experience that helps young theatre artists understand the challenges of working under an Equity showcase contract and creating their own projects in the future. 

Yes, it's expensive, at 6K plus per student. Yes, I could probably do it by myself for a little less money, but not much. Having produced on my own in Edinburgh, once in a terribly-run venue where we often played to three or four people, and having attended the Fringe as part of an AHSTF group, I can tell you that these people know what they are doing. I have several friends who have taken their students to the AHSTF. All of these teachers have taken shows again and again. If you can, go on the familiarization trip before you take a group. One warning: the Edinburgh Festival Fringe is addictive. Fireworks every night celebrating The Theatre? There's nothing else like it.

Arlene Hutton
    The Barrow Group
    New York, NY

• 16.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 11-20-2017 08:06
    "As a professional playwright based in NYC, I pay special attention when a young actor has an AHSTF credit on their resume. They've probably also seen a wide range of world-class theatre on small stages. Performing at a fringe festival anywhere gives an experience that helps young theatre artists understand the challenges of working under an Equity showcase contract and creating their own projects in the future. "

I think this is great for students who can afford it. However, as a teacher at an urban school with students from a wide range of economic backgrounds, I realize that it simply leaves my students out. Affluent students from affluent schools can take advantage of this sort of thing and garner your extra, special attention. My talented students, no matter how talented they may be, do not.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 17.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 05-25-2018 15:27
    I have had the opportunity to go to the Fringe Festival twice, once as a performer with part of an individual group, and once with AHSTF. 

These trips were 15 years apart. While the individual trip was a little less expensive, given inflation over the 15 years, not prohibitively so.  

In addition, what you receive from the AHSTF trip more than justifies the expenditure. I would NEVER consider taking a group of high school students on an international trip that was not as heavily insured and secured as AHSTFs trips. The accommodations and excursions; the London stay; the theatre; the meals and tours covered. Simply going to perform, yes, you can do it more cheaply.

But, for everything that is included, the organizational skills and support, and the piece of mind those things give directors, parents, and administrators...there really is no comparison.  

I appreciate the difficulty of the cost. I know that there are a great many opportunities for fundraising events.  But, if you know you are going enough in advance, $10 per day for a year will cover much of what fundraising will not. For many - cut out Starbucks and you are good to go.  

It isn't for everyone. We are returning in 2019. I look forward to working with this group again.  If you have not experienced it, you don't understand the truly supportive nature of AHSTF and their dedication to theatre and theatre education.  

L. Jay Edenmeyer
    Director/Teacher
    LCISD
    Richmond TX

• 18.  RE: Question about the American High School Theatre Festival & The Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Posted 05-26-2018 18:30
    I posted this some months ago. Here it is again, revised. Hope it's helpful. If you're considering taking a show next year, try to get there this coming August to check it out.

As a professional playwright based in NYC, I pay special attention when a young actor has an AHSTF credit on their resume. They've probably also seen a wide range of world-class theatre on small stages. Performing at a fringe festival anywhere gives an experience that encourages young theatre artists to make their own projects in the future and helps them understand the challenges of self-production. 

Yes, it's very expensive, at 6K plus per student. So it's not possible for most schools. Yes, I could probably do take a production by myself for a little less money, but not much. Having produced on my own in Edinburgh, once in a terribly-run venue where we often played to three or four people, and having attended the Fringe as part of an AHSTF group, I can tell you that these people know what they are doing. I have several friends who have taken their students to the AHSTF. All of these teachers have taken shows again and again. If you can, go on the familiarization trip before you take a group. One warning: the Edinburgh Festival Fringe is addictive. Fireworks every night celebrating The Theatre? There's nothing else like it.

As a self-producing playwright with four Edinburgh Festival Fringe productions (including Last Train to Nibroc, I Dream Before I Take the Stand and As It Is In Heaven), I know first hand what it's like to bring a company to an Edinburgh venue. The AHSTF replicates that experience exactly, with a two-hour tech and fifteen-minute load-ins, overseen by a seasoned and supportive staff. The wide range of high school productions go from Shakespeare and the classics, to children's plays to modern comedies and dramas and devised original pieces. We premiered a play there, Kissed the Girls and Made Them Cry.

As a commissioned playwright I was privileged to join a high school group invited to the AHSTF in 2015. Their teacher had taken students twice before. Working through the fall and spring semester I was asked to create an "edgy" play about teens and sexual assault, Kissed the Girls and Made Them Cry, for students at a public high school in CT, and I met up with them in Edinburgh. Years earlier I had been impressed with AHSTF's work at the Fringe but was even more impressed as an insider with past festival experience as a self-producer. The dormitory housing was very comfortable (I was housed in a different building but visited the students for group meetings), the included breakfasts were great and I was blown away by how organized everything was. Security was very tight; the students had curfews and I was allowed in their dorm only when accompanied by their teacher. They were bused to and from the venue and since I was not part of the travel package I was not allowed on the bus, an inconvenience that I completely understood. In addition to a couple of days in London and Stratford, which cost extra, the groups received tickets to four other AHSTF shows, so each production had a built-in audience. Their teacher encouraged them to explore other Fringe shows on their own, in groups, and I treated them all to balcony seats at one of the major productions as a thank you. One thing that helped us was moving the production to a different space before heading to Edinburgh. A company in NYC gave us a day in their space to tech the show and do two performances in a 99-seat blackbox, in essence rehearsing a tech/load-in. (This also gave the students an Off-off-Broadway credit for their resumes. Representatives from Playscripts were in attendance; the young actors' names are now in the published script.)

If you can afford it, GO. From what I've seen, AHSTF is a very well-run organization and performing at the largest arts festival in the world is life changing for the students.

Arlene Hutton
    The Barrow Group
    New York, NY