Open Forum

View Only

Makeup

• 1.  Makeup

Posted 08-30-2018 16:19
    Hello drama teachers,

My school is in the market for new stage make up. Are there particular brands any of you would recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-30-2018 16:27
    Rebecca,

I have always shopped at stagemakeuponline.com for all my makeup purchases.  Great selection, wonderful customer service.

My go to brand is Ben Nye cremes, latex, sfx blood, and brushes.  I like Mehron's spirit gum over Ben Nye, Kryolan makes some wonderful powders.

Truly though, it'll take you playing with them to get a feel for what you like.

Hope this helps,
    Aaron

--
    A. W. Miller
    Theatre Arts Director
    I.T.S. Troupe #1523 Director

Private Acting Lessons from Dramedy Acting

Read: The Sad Man by A. W. Miller

• 3.  RE: Makeup

Posted 09-01-2018 14:10
    We have a small theatre (300 seats, 12 rows) with no pit so the audience is pretty close to the stage.  Over the 25 years of doing stage makeup in this space I've found that the Ben Nye Lite Series works best for the Caucasian actors, and the Mehron Olive Series works best for the Hispanic actors.  One proviso:  After a good deal of experimenting (being an old science teacher!) I've found that mixing the B.N. Lite #0 with #1 half and half works best for blonds and redheads - females, that is.  Males can usually get by with Lite #1.   ​​​​​

------------------------------
    Steve Halper
    Theatre Assistant
    Salpointe Catholic High School
    Tucson, AZ

• 4.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-30-2018 17:19
    I agree with Aaron on Ben Nye and Kyolan. I'd add Mehron to that list

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-31-2018 07:31
    My stage makeup guest artist prefers the Graftobian kits, as he thinks the students get more bang for their buck. It's nice stuff.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-31-2018 10:09
    Last year I ventured into the world of airbrush makeup.  Cannot believe I waited so long to do that!  Wow! What a difference!  I had a good experience with ProAiir waterproof makeup.  Mostly for fantasy makeup at this point, but it cuts down on time so much. Definitely worth the money for the airbrush machinery and makeup, in my opinion.

• 7.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-31-2018 10:54
    Where is a good place to get an airbrush rig?

Max Dashner
    Director/Drama Teacher
    Decatur AL

• 8.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-31-2018 11:12
    I got my airbrush setup, and continue to get replacement parts and make-up, through Norcostco. If you can afford it I highly recommend it. We did a full body make-up for our Croc in Peter Pan and it made a HUGE difference to my make-up crew.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-31-2018 13:41

Mehron has an excellent student kit, that is economical and will last a student through several shows.  I prefer Ben Nye for latex and I am absolutely obsessed with Ben Nye's Final Seal.

Myndee Fleury Washington

Music & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you EVERYWHERE"- Albert Einstein

• 10.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-31-2018 14:35
    Personally, I'm a fan of Ben Nye and 90% of my make-up is from them. But Mehron (I Think that's how its spelled) is good too.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 11.  RE: Makeup

Posted 08-31-2018 16:54
    Just a side note on Make-up Safety and personal hygiene to pass on to your students:

DO NOT SHARE MAKE-UP OR BRUSHES OR PADS.  Skin diseases and viruses can be passed from one person to another through sharing make-up and make-up tools.  Each student should have their own kit.  (This is not just a ploy to get more make-up sales).  This would make a good 'extra credit' paper for a student to research.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems