Open Forum

View Only

ROCS Vs MT Pit

• 1.  ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-25-2017 01:21
    I am needing to do instrument tracks for my musical this year.  I am trying to decide between using the Right on Cue Services Stage Tracks offered with my TRW license or the music from the MT Pit.  Based on my initial quotes, they are both very close in price.  So I was wondering if anyone out there has worked with both and what their pros and cons were.

------------------------------
    Richard Gremel
    Theatre Teacher, Empire High School
    Tucson AZ

• 2.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-25-2017 08:14
    From what I am aware of... ROCS is very helpful because you can change tempos, cut measures and vamp. The MT Pit on the other hand, you cannot do those things. The MT Pit is a much better for source for rehearsals while you're trying to figure everything musically out. However, ROCS is much better for performances.

Hope this helps.

Brian

---------------------------------
    Brian Percival

Emporia KS
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-25-2017 09:41
    MT Pit will do any requested edits on your performance track: key changes, tempi, cuts, number of vamp measures. I have found them easy to work with and accommodating. I would highly recommend them. I also appreciate that they record acoustic instruments, it's not all synthesized. For what it's worth...

Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 4.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-25-2017 12:18
    I've used both and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in how well the students work with the apps from either company. That being said, I've found ROCS has slightly better customer service but both companies are easy to work with.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-25-2017 12:40
    I don't really trust MTPit. I understand that they aren't actually affiliated with TRW, and that seems shady. You should check to see if TRW allows tracks from other companies.

Becca Lillias

• 6.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-27-2017 09:41
    What Becca stated is correct. ROCS is the only company authorized to create rehearsal and performance tracks for TRW. ROCS records live musicians on acoustic instruments, not sound samples. We are very happy with their products and customer service, and are looking forward to the release of new ROCS products in the not-so-far future. .

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education & Community Initiatives
    TRW
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-26-2017 10:17
    I have used both , so here is my assessment:
    ROCS 
    PROs- Excellent customer service
    Usually the less expensive of the two
    Their show ready rehearsal software lets you make changes to tempo, key, vamps, etc. right there in the rehearsal room.
    These changes can be applied to your performance tracks.
    They work directly with TRW so licensing is easier if you are doing a TRW show.
    CONs- Of the two, sometimes they have a more electronic sound (depends on the show)
    If your not as comfortable with tech, the software for rehearsal Tracks can be intimidating.
    Rehearsal tracks have a Click-track, which can't be turned off, can be helpful, but I wish it was optional.

TheMTPit
    PROs- Excellent sound quality
    Good customer service but not excellent
    Will make custom edits to tracks upon request
    CONs- Usually the more expensive of the two 
    Rehearsal tracks say "rehearsal tracks" every so often, which is annoying at first, but after awhile you get used to it.
    As far as I know, they don't work directly with any particular publisher, so licensing is completely separate

Sean Blauvelt
    Arroyo Grande CA

• 8.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-27-2017 06:38
    I worked with MTPit for the first time this past summer and found them very easy to work with. The rehearsal tracks are available through an app that your cast can put on their phones, so they can listen any time. They were willing to make all of our changes, including lowering a song a step, and were very reasonable in the charges for the edits. We ran the tracks through an ipad for the show and had no problems at all. The key is to be very specific with your requests. Use the score and note specific measures and even beats. They responded quickly if they needed clarification and our edits were done very quickly.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 9.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-28-2017 10:25

Good points from Becca and Jim: you should always check with your licensing company to see if your recordings are authorized. Tams-Witmark recently formed an arrangement with The MT Pit; The MT Pit is currently authorized to provide performance and rehearsal tracks for several Tams shows, and more are coming soon, including CABARET. We've been very happy with the quality of The MT Pit's recordings and customer service, and customer feedback has been very positive so far.

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com

• 10.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-28-2017 14:19
    Just be advised that MTPit will charge you for edits if you're using the tracks for performances. I have only used ROCS for rehearsal, so I'm not sure of their policy, but I know it's pretty easy to make edits in the rehearsal version. If you're doing an MTI show, check to see if their RehearseScore is available, which is my favorite of the three.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 11.  RE: ROCS Vs MT Pit

Posted 08-28-2017 14:42
    I have used The MT Pit for a number of years and LOVE them! They have great tracks and fast service.  They did change from using a fancy CD player they called the machine to an ipad. The nice thing is your get tracks faster. Bad thing it is harder to cue.

Joanie Colson
    Theater Arts Director
    Scottsdale AZ