Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Posted 03-16-2015 13:23

Do you ask your cast members to sign any type of contract or agreement? Do you find it helps?

If you do, could you post what you ask them to agree to?

THANKS!

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Posted 03-17-2015 07:31
    Cast and crew is under contract. This covers grades, academic eligibility, school suspensions, rehearsal behavior, including punctuality, appropriate dress for dance rehearsal if it's a musical, one page both sides. ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Posted 03-17-2015 08:11
      |   view attached

I have attached our parent permission form. Even though I have been using a version of it for 16 years, it is a constant work in progress. Something new happens every year that leads me to modify my wording or add a new clause or provision. 

David Tate Hastings
    Drama Teacher / Kansas Thespians Co-Chapter Director
    Olathe Public Schools
    Olathe KS

Attachment(s)

pdf
    parent_permission_form.pdf   83 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Posted 03-17-2015 08:27

Hi, Andy!

Just sent mine via email.  As others mentioned...always changing, always adapted to meet the needs of that particular production.  I have been using contracts for over 20 years and I use them when we go on trips as well! 

My best!

CG

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 5.  RE: Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Posted 03-17-2015 10:03
    Mine also sign a contract. I'm sending it to you via email right now. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 6.  RE: Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Posted 03-17-2015 11:22
      |   view attached

John, 

I have all of my extracurricular students sign a Performance Contract, and a District required contract.  

I have attached it; please use it as you like!
    Jeremy Goldson
    Denver CO

Attachment(s)

Production Contract   18 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Posted 03-18-2015 10:42
      |   view attached

I have been using one for the last 10 years and find it serves to help the students commit to the show.  This year, I required that the form by signed by the student and parent before auditions, so that everyone knows what the expectations are from the start.

Next year, I'm going to add a document acknowledging that not all who audition and apply for crew will be invited to participate in the production, as we are a small school with a small space.  I cannot cast everyone or include everyone on crew.  I had a number of parent complaints this year because students were not cast/put on crew. 

This has evolved every year as more issues come up or go away.  My latest is attached.

Kate Bernardo
    Drama Director
    Beaumont School
    Cleveland Heights OH

Attachment(s)

docx
    CastAgreement.docx   131 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Posted 03-18-2015 12:58

Hi John,

My contract is also a constant work in progress. This year was the first time I actually removed a student from the class because she chose to be in a community production of Les Miserables instead of our production of The Laramie Project. She asked for an independent study project, which I don't do, and after discussions with her parents and a review of the contract they all signed, she left the class at the semester. It is unfortunate when things like that happen, but I feel it is important that once a student makes a commitment, he/she follows through and understands that they do not get to change the rules along the way.

I have attached the original form students and parents sign when they audition to get into the class, the audition information sheet for once they are enrolled, and the production crew expectation list. Once in the class, students audition for each of the three productions. I hope this helps!

Nancy

Nancy Moran
    Drama Instructor
    Los Altos High School
    Los Altos CA

Attachment(s)

• 9.  RE: Casting/Performance Contract/Agreement

Posted 03-18-2015 21:42
    I'm at a middle school and I do for all shows.  Since all of my productions are tied to in class work, it reminds parents/students that participation is mandatory and part of a grade.  It's a good CYA in the event that a student has "conflicts" that arise the week of the show.  It also holds them responsible for damaged props/costumes from improper care/use.  Again, a CYA.  It also has info about expectations during the rehearsal process and reminds them that at any time I could "remove" them and give them an alternative written assignment.  I haven't had to use it for any of those things, except for one kid who was "pulled" from my show last year because her mom was mad that she was failing in several classes.  I made a point to point out that it was a grade for me as well, but she didn't seem to care if her kid failed theatre because it was an elective (sigh).  I do refer to it often though and remind them of the contract when they aren't holding up their end of the bargain....

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC