Open Forum

View Only

Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

• 1.  Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-12-2020 14:01
    Do any of you have suggestions for great colleges/university for musical theater that are lesser known then everything that comes up in NY, Michigan, CA etc.

------------------------------
    Melinda Carlson

• 2.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-13-2020 05:42
    Hi Melinda,

In PA, DeSales, Penn State University, Carnegie Mellon University, and Point Park College all have reputable theater programs.

Bethany Swanson-Yuninger
    Felton PA

• 3.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-13-2020 06:16
    The University of Northern Colorado! Go bears! 😊🐻

Kendra Hixon
    Theatre Teacher
    Eaton CO

• 4.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-13-2020 07:43
    Elon in North Carolina
    Montclair University in NJ
    East Carolina University in NC
    The University of Nebraska in Lincoln

Lynn Quinn
    Theater Instructor/Director
    Wayne NJ

• 5.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-13-2020 08:19
    Throughout my teaching career I have had a handful of students attend the University of North Carolina School of the Arts in Winstom-Salem. They are all working professionally...well, sans the current status of the pandemic. Say a lot in my book! 
    Best,
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 6.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-13-2020 09:54
    DeSales University in PA is a wonderful program and not as well known as it should be! Coastal Carolina in NC is another up-and-coming program. Missouri State, University of Arizona, Slippery Rock University in PA, SUNY Fredonia, Webster University, Southeast Missouri State, Illinois Wesleyan - all have fabulous programs for MT!   Check out Paper Mill Playhouse's website for a long list of schools that participate in the Common Prescreen: https://papermill.org/musical-theater-common-prescreen/ as good place to start.

Beth Nickels
    Just Around The Corner Productions
    Stroudsburg PA

• 7.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-13-2020 10:01
    Broadway star Lisa Brescia (most recently in Dear Evan Hanson) is now a full time professor in the department of music and dance at Missouri State and she loves the department. I've also heard good things about Coastal Carolina.

Arlene Hutton, playwright
    Letters to Sala
    I Dream Before I Take the Stand
    Kissed the Girls & Made Them Cry
    As It Is In Heaven
    Susie Sits Shiva (EdTA commission)

faculty, The Barrow Group, NYC
    arlene@barrowgroup.org

• 8.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-13-2020 12:39
    DeSales University in PA has an excellent Musical Theatre Program.

Maria Stadtmueller
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

Samuel Alito Gave Quite a Speech
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5faec4ae24a2a44ad5a3bst03vuc1
    Biden Adviser's Lockdown Idea Is Met With Pushback
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5faec4ae487ec44ad5a3bst03vuc2
    Musk: Something 'Bogus' Is Happening With COVID Tests
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5faec4ae6c5e544ad5a3bst03vuc3

• 9.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-13-2020 12:59
    Happy Friday Melinda!
    I got my BFA in Musical Theatre from Shenandoah University in Winchester, VA (about an hour from Washington, DC) and it was exactly what I needed...A highly focused conservatory training program that was outside of a major city!
    ~brian

Brian Curl
    Philadelphia PA

• 10.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-14-2020 08:49
    I will second DeSalles in Eastern PA (Lehigh Valley area.) I regularly attend their productions that are always well done. I've hired alumni as Dance Captain and Assoc. Director for my NYC training program with great success.

The University is also the home to The Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival,  which is an AEA professional summer season that offers more quality exposure for students. 

Worth a serious look.
    Robert Laconi 
    Bethlehem,  PA

Robert Laconi
    Bethlehem PA

• 11.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-15-2020 03:53

I'm a casting director, and I like what I'm seeing coming from:
    Elon
    Otterbein 
    Shanendoah (sp?)

And I'm very proud of the work we do at PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre www.pcpa.org

Erik Stein
    Casting Director/Recruitment Coordinator
    PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre

Author of No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities, Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond!

Available on Amazon.com and other online booksellers

• 12.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-16-2020 07:33
    I'll second Shenandoah. My students have gotten great experiences there! Lesser-known programs in Virginia that seem to have quality staff and educational opportunities include James Madison University (Harrisonburg) and Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond).

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 13.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-16-2020 09:28
    I second VCU and JMU.  Also, Seton Hill in PA.  University of Richmond as well.

Marie Miguel
    Chespeake, VA

• 14.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-16-2020 18:13

University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point

Lawrence University (and the Conservatory of Music)

Kristi Ross-Clausen
    IATSE 470/Actors Equity
    Alliance for Wisconsin Theatre Education
    Stage Managers Association Board
    AVIXA/USITT
    Teacher, Author, Speaker
    Appleton, WI

• 15.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-17-2020 09:24
    I would add a third for VCU. It was a great program when I went there (We won't discuss how many years ago that was.) and the work I've seen from the current students is even better than it was then.

I would also add The University of Texas at Austin. It has a great program and the tuition rates are very competitive, even for out of state students.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA

• 16.  RE: Colleges for theater major off the normal 20

Posted 11-30-2020 21:46
    Hello,
    I've been following this thread and would like to support the comments about DeSales University in PA. It is a jewel of a department, on a lovely and growing campus. It's affiliation with the Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival (PSF), a professional company in residence in the summer, gives acting and technical theatre students internships and the opportunity to work with Broadway and other professionals from around the country and Globe. This just came across my email and I thought many of you might be interested in it. The virtual world is giving us many opportunities we might not usually get to experience with our students. For full disclosure, I am a graduate of the DeSales theatre program, have taught as an adjunct there, and was General Manager of PSF when WillPower began. As a high school teacher, I have hosted WillPower a number of times for a live production and workshops with my students. DeSales University is also presenting virtual productions to check out the program:  Act I Productions . Vis.rtual productions presented by many colleges are giving students a great look at program

Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival's WillPower Program Returns Virtually Spring 2021

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                    Contact: Tina Louise Slak

November 18, 2020                               tina.slak@pashakespeare.org

Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival's educational Linny Fowler WillPower Tour will return to schools spring 2021 with a first-ever virtual performance.

Traditionally, the tour took to the road, logging thousands of miles, and performed in schools during the fall semester. Due to the pandemic, the tour was postponed and will now return this spring as a virtual educational experience.

The WillPower Program production will be filmed in PSF's mainstage theatre, keeping true to the live theatre experience, and will feature professional actor/teaching artists performing a professionally directed 80-minute production of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.

To enhance the experience, the WillPower Program also includes supplemental educational material including a filmed talkback and interviews with artists; a digital study guide with classroom activities aligned to Pennsylvania Common Core Standards to help students explore the characters, plot, and themes before viewing the production; and optional virtual workshops that give students the opportunity to explore the power of Shakespeare's language.

"As a result of offering the program in a digital format, which can be accessed flexibly and repeatedly over a number of weeks," says Patrick Mulcahy, producing artistic director, "participating schools will have even greater access to the performance and educational materials for more of their students than usual. And unlike when we travel by van and truck, this year any school anywhere in the world can participate."

To register a school for the 2021 WillPower Program, or for more information and questions, educators and home school groups can email Education Director Anelise Diaz at education@pashakespeare.org.

For pricing, additional details, and registration please visit www.pashakespeare.org.

About the WillPower Program

The Linny Fowler WillPower Tour is the centerpiece of Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival's educational programming. Over the past 20 years, WillPower has toured 41 out of 67 counties in Pennsylvania and reached more than 200,000 students in 187 schools in PA, NJ, and DE. The tour has also reached all of the middle and high schools in the Allentown School District.

In support of this educational program, the Festival was recently awarded a $25,000 NEA Shakespeare in American Communities Grant. Arts Midwest, in partnership with the NEA, awards $1.7 million to support Shakespeare programs with theatre companies, schools, and the juvenile justice system. This is the 13th year that the Festival has been supported and recognized with this award.

About Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival

Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival, under the leadership of Producing Artistic Director Patrick Mulcahy, is the only professional Equity theatre of its scope and scale within a 50-mile radius. PSF is one of only a handful of theatres on the continent producing Shakespeare, musicals, classics, and contemporary plays, all of which can all be seen in rep and in multiple spaces within a few visits in a single summer season. Similarly, PSF was among just a handful of theatres on the continent in recent summers to produce three Shakespeare plays in a single summer season.  A patron would have to travel seven to nine hours from PSF to find a comparable range of offerings at a single theatre within a few weeks' time.

The Festival's award-winning company of many world-class artists includes Broadway, film, and television veterans, and winners and nominees of the Tony, Emmy, Obie, Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk, Jefferson, Hayes, Lortel, and Barrymore awards. A leading Shakespeare theatre with a national reputation for excellence, PSF has received coverage in The Washington PostNPRAmerican Theatre Magazine, Playbill.com, The Philadelphia Inquirer, and in recent seasons The New York Times has identified PSF as one of the leading summer theatre festivals in the nation. "A world-class theater experience on a par with the top Bard fests," is how one New York Drama Desk reviewer characterized PSF.

Founded in 1992 and the Official Shakespeare Festival of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, PSF's mission is to enrich, inspire, engage, and entertain the widest possible audience through first-rate productions of classical and contemporary plays, with a core commitment to Shakespeare and other master dramatists, and through an array of education and mentorship programs. A not-for-profit theatre, PSF receives significant support from its host, DeSales University, from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, and the National Endowment for the Arts. With 150 performances of seven productions, the Festival attracts patrons each summer from 30+ states. In 28 years, PSF has offered 175 total productions (74 Shakespeare), and entertained 1,000,000+ patrons from 50 states, now averaging 34,000-40,000 in attendance each summer season, plus another 13,000 students each year through its WillPower Tour. PSF is a multi-year recipient of awards from the National Endowment for the Arts: Shakespeare in American Communities, and is a constituent of Theatre Communications Group, and the Shakespeare Theatre Association. In 2013, leaders of the world's premier Shakespeare theatres gathered at PSF as the Festival hosted the international STA Conference.

The Festival's vision is for world-class theatre.

Andrea Roney
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    roneya@npenn.org
    North Penn School District
    Hatfield PA
    roneya@npenn.org