Open Forum

View Only

Alice

• 1.  Alice

Posted 05-02-2019 15:53
    I will celebrate 10 years next year at my current school and plan to remount the shows I did my first year. The fall play was Alice In Wonderland that first year. I'm looking for a new Alice script to use instead of the one I used previously.

Please share any scripts you think are great! I'm interested in shows that are maybe influenced by or some sort of adaptation of the Alice in Wonderland story in addition to traditional Alice scripts. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

------------------------------
    KRISTI Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 2.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-02-2019 16:53
    I'm not sure which version you did, but I loved doing the version adapted by Florida Friebus and Eva le Galliene. Samuel French has it and it hits both Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through The Looking Glass. Lots of great parts

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-03-2019 08:10
    Lookingglass Alice if you're feeling really bold. It looks cool, but super-challenging. It was created at Lookingglass Theatre in Chicago, but the rightsholder is Bret Adams LTD.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-07-2019 21:06
    I saw looking glass alice professionally at Center Stage- it was really cool!
    I have done Alice in Americaland which his hysterical but very cynical.

---------------------------------
    Kelly Cardall
    Theatre Arts
    Health and PE Chair
    Mount de Sales Academy
    Baltimore, MD
    ---------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-03-2019 14:46
    If you Google "adaptations by Robyn Hilt" and click on that, you can find a couple of new Alices, along with her adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. One is Wonderland and the other is Through the Looking Glass. Each is a one-act which can be paired for a full evening. These are very loyal to the original.  There was another original called Alice's Adventures that was great for camp or younger audiences, but I'm not sure of the current source.

Jean Klein
    Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]
    Virginia BeachVA

• 6.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-03-2019 14:55
    Following this discussion. I too am looking for ALICE script suitable for an inter generational cast of students and adults.

Sent from my iPhone
    Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Www.gaijones.com

• 7.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-03-2019 15:34

There is a fun "mash up" called Dorothy in Wonderland.  It drop the oz characters into Wonderland.  There is both a musical and non musical version.

Myndee Fleury Washington

Music & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you EVERYWHERE"- Albert Einstein

• 8.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-03-2019 18:54
    I really like the version of Alice in Wonderland by Andre Gregory and the Manhattan project. It has a mix of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and some movement/ensemble stuff. I think the rights are held by DPS. I've done it with about 9 kids, but was in a production in high school with 20.

Meg O'Connor
    oconnormainstage.com

• 9.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-04-2019 22:56
    I highly recommend creating your own adaptation.  The novel is in the public domain.  My cast and I read the novel together (well actually listened to an audiobook of Jim Dale reading as we followed along in the novel) then I divided them into small groups and gave each of them a chapter to adapt.  I gave them a page limit which they had to stick to unless they negotiated with another group who didn't need as many pages.  This ensured that the play wouldn't be too long.  They all were able to write together and share what they created on laptops using Google drive.  This was all done on a long Saturday.  Then the next rehearsal we did a reading, discussed, edited and then auditioned for parts.  The result was their own adaptation that they knew on an intimate level unlike any other script they would have staged.  It showed in the depth of their characterizations.  . It was an amazing artistic experience for everyone!

Ron Parker
    Theatre Educator
    Appleton North High School
    Appleton WI
    www.appletonnorththeatre.org

• 10.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-06-2019 09:20
      |   view attached
    We did the Simon Reade version in he fall of 2017. We had a student composer and student choreographers. Great collaborative effort with the students, Visual Art staff, and FACS staff! Break a leg with your production. CK :)

Carolyn Kovar
    McCluer North High School
    Ferguson-Florissant School District
    Florissant MO

• 11.  RE: Alice

Posted 05-06-2019 10:09
    Thank you everyone! I'm ordering a few of these today. Keep the ideas coming! :)

KRISTI Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA