Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  A Few Good Men - Costumes

Posted 09-17-2019 15:53
    Anybody have any suggestions for how to costume a contemporary military drama?  I've got a decent budget but no costume experience.  I do have some volunteers that can do alterations.

Kevin Manley

MathDept

St. Augustine High School

(619) 282-2184 x 5568

kmanley@sahs.org

• 2.  RE: A Few Good Men - Costumes

Posted 09-18-2019 08:10
    Try speaking with Navy and Marine recruiters.  I've had the Army loan me some uniforms for shows.  
    There is also probably an Army/Navy or military surplus near you where you can pick up uniforms that you can modify.

------------------------------
    Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 3.  RE: A Few Good Men - Costumes

Posted 09-18-2019 08:26
    You may find the "Dress Whites" at an Army/ Navy surplus store. Anyone that need a khaki uniform, I use Dickies khaki work pants and long sleeved work shirt.  You can order patches and insignia online.  

*Side note...I ordered a large batch of patches, several years ago, for a specific WW2 unit.  I got a nice inquiry from Homeland Security, about why I was ordering military patches ��

Myndee Fleury Washington

Music & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you EVERYWHERE"- Albert Einstein

• 4.  RE: A Few Good Men - Costumes

Posted 09-18-2019 10:55
    If any school in your district has ROTC, or a college in your area has ROTC, contact their leader.  I was able to borrow uniforms from our ROTC for all sorts of shows requiring uniforms.  We just had to take the patch off of the sleeve, then hand sew it back on after the show.  They supplied pants/skirts, shirts, hats, and shoes.  We gave them program credit.

I also was able to borrow a flag and stand from ROTC for several shows that required one, the last being Twelve Angry Jurors.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: A Few Good Men - Costumes

Posted 09-18-2019 11:32
    When I was in A FEW GOOD MEN we rented everyone's dress uniforms, plus all of Joanne's stuff. I think we were able to pull fatigues for the guys from military surplus and other theatre companies.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: A Few Good Men - Costumes

Posted 09-19-2019 10:13
    Hi Kevin,
    Contact Amie Eoff, Resident Costume Designer at Theatre Memphis. They close their production of A Few Good Men on the 29th. She might be able to help out. aeoff@theatrememphis.org
    Take care,
    -Mike-

Michael Detroit
    Memphis TN

• 7.  RE: A Few Good Men - Costumes

Posted 09-19-2019 13:09
    Whatever you do, please do your research and make sure the uniforms are accurate: the branch of service, rank insignia, ribbons, and so forth. As well as making them look correct, it's also a sign of respect for our servicemembers.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 8.  RE: A Few Good Men - Costumes

Posted 09-19-2019 15:40
    Thank you all for the suggestions!  I've got a lot of good leads to follow-up on.  Still working on this, so any more ideas still appreciated.

Kevin Manley

MathDept

St. Augustine High School

(619) 282-2184 x 5568

kmanley@sahs.org

• 9.  RE: A Few Good Men - Costumes

Posted 09-19-2019 20:17
    Is there a military uniform and hardware surplus store near you? I've been lucky to take advantage of one near where I live in California. 

Nancy L. Bernhard
    theatre teacher, retired
    Salinas HIgh School