Open Forum

View Only

Kissing Scenes

• 1.  Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-01-2017 08:53
    Obviously many plays and musicals have love scenes. This has never been an issue for me working with teens before, but I am at a new school and the students here seem to be much more self conscious about kissing scenes. They invest a great deal of gossip in who is kissing whom in a play (which doesn't help the performers feel less self conscious.)

On the flip side, most of these students do not date and have never kissed anyone romantically in their real life. So it's also scary and awkward for them. 

The result is they hold off the kissing scenes until the very last minute and then they look awkward and clumsy (two anxious birds pecking violently at each others faces).

How do you approach a kissing scene with your students? What sort of rules do you lay down and how do you address student comfort level?  I'm curious to know how other teachers handle this.

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 2.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-01-2017 09:15
    I'm interested in this topic too. I can't even convince my romantic leads to hold hands, at times. In some cases it's people who have not dated before and feel awkward; in others, it's people in relationships with someone else and terrified to make their S.O. jealous. How to create that safe space, and reduce gossip and discomfort?

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-01-2017 10:07
    Here are a some things I do for this:

- I have a question on the audition form asking if they are willing to kiss another actor. This gives a heads up when they are auditioning that it may be asked of them and prevents me from offering a part to someone who is not really willing to do this (I also have questions about cutting/dyeing and playing homosexual characters on stage)
    - I always (try) to only call people who are needed for specific scenes. When we are ready to start rehearsing the kiss I release everyone else (minus my production crew) so that the students don't have a lot of people watching them.
    - I'm always light-hearted about these scenes. I talk about my first stage kiss and make fun of myself. I've found it really helps to relax them. I also point out, for the ones in relationships, that it is the character on stage who is having the kiss. There isn't an emotional connection actor-to-actor (I know.. slippery slope) so there is no reason for the s.o. to be upset or jealous.
    - We have what I call the "teenage triangle". This occurs when the actors put their faces together but not their bodies for the kiss. It's a cute name that gets the idea across but still keeps the atmosphere light.
    - I make them start to rehearse any kisses at least a month before opening. That gives them enough time to get used to kissing, allows them to get past doing it in front of the rest of the cast and then, from there, it's a natural progression to performing in front of the general public.
    - I have the kids go out on "dates" to get used to spending time with each other. Frequently the problem seems to be that there is no chemistry because they are awkward around each other. They also have to sit next to each other (somehow having physical contact - holding hands, leaning on each other, legs thrown over the other persons' lap, etc) anytime they are in class (if I have them the same hour) or in rehearsal at all times they are not performing. This removes the physical awkwardness they have around each other. 
    - I think the most important thing is to make it a part of the progression of the rehearsal process. I haven't run into any gossip issues. The cast is always very supportive of anyone who is uncomfortable and gently ribs anyone who is past that stage. It's a family. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-01-2017 11:35
    "- We have what I call the "teenage triangle". This occurs when the actors put their faces together but not their bodies for the kiss. It's a cute name that gets the idea across but still keeps the atmosphere light."

We call it the "Old Lady Sunday School Kiss": lips together, hips apart.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 04:25
    Each play, each student may need different techniques. I have used some of the wonderful methods already given. After about 30 years of teaching, I tried a new approach. Less emotion, more precise timing (give them counts or beats.) and movements. Alternate who does what, to provide act/react. At first is was mechanical, then it became smoother. I think the original guesswork/timing was part of the awkwardness block. They could add emotion once they had the routine. The deconstruction lead to easier building the scene BY the young Thespians.

Barbara Barkemeyer
    Huntington Beach CA

• 6.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 06:30
    Go outward in on this one. Treat it like stage combat. Choreograph the moves of the hands, etc. Once the physical action is like a dance step, then start letting the actors play the moment. 

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 7.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-03-2017 10:00
    My rule is no one has to have their first kiss onstage if they don't want to, they just come to me privately before we start blocking and I respect their needs. All the kids know this rule & I restate it at every read-thru.

In a production of Oklahoma! I had a different situation. A senior young man of a very pious background was very uncomfortable about kissing a girl other than a true romantic partner. We staged the scenes with kisses hidden behind hat, upstage, etc. Low & behold opening night, the final kiss was real & adorable. I asked him about it after & he said, "Well, Curly kissed Lauren, I didn't kiss Rachel." To which I replied, "That's what I've been telling you all along." Lol! And his family was fine with it, too.

Kate Arthurs-Goldberg, M. A.
    Jesuit Philelectic Society

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-03-2017 12:59
    Me thinks you must find your own way as a director. Lots of variety of approaches here. I have directed at both the middle & high school level and staged many a kiss with both levels over the years. I have never made a big deal out of it and sort of work my way up to it based on the comfort of the actors. I typically start with an air kiss, then a cheek to cheek touch, on to a kiss on the cheek, ending with real deal. I certainly wouldn't stage it in front of the entire cast, but I also never clear the set...adds to the drama IMO! (I also talk to the rest of the cast about appropriate reactions.) On the flipside, as an actor I've worked with insensitive directors who just shouted "kiss her" without any warning. I always remember that and always use  sensitivity and commonsense. There's also a big difference between staging a kiss on the cheek and a big dramatic kiss. I have, more often than not, had to tell the kids to "pull back" especially when working with a budding "showmance!"  It's all good. Just remember you are creating a memorable experience for the actors and ultimately the audience. None of us would be here if I didn't I'll start with a kiss! Mwah!!! 

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 9.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-04-2017 07:51
    I completely agreed with Garry. I have found that working one's way up to a kiss is the best way to stage it so that it looks realistic. My approach is to start the rehearsal with touching foreheads, then noses and then lips. Also I never force students to kiss, especially if it is their first one. 

When an actor is uncomfortable, I give them an out and suggest cupping one's hand around a jaw and cheating the kiss upstage. The character who is  initiating the kiss can then kiss his or her thumb that is strategically placed on the other character's lips. 

As a director, I don't convey the attitude - "just get over it" or "it's not really you kissing, it's just the character". I understand that I am working with high school kids who often get confused between on stage pretend and the real thing.  Gary - love your term for this "showmance"!!!

Break a leg to all in this March Musical Madness :)

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 10.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 13:00
    Speaking of the teenage triangle, it can be awkward for adults too! I recently had to do a stage kiss for the first time in 10 years in a community theatre production, and the director told us "we were leaving too much room for the Holy Spirit."

It looked more natural after that note!

Julie Cohen Theobald
    Executive Director
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 11.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 08:24
    I may be the odd one out here, but kissing on stage makes ME uncomfortable as an audience member unless it is used in a moment where it drives the action forward or puts a "cap" on a scene. I stage kisses or don't use them at all.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 12.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 08:32
    I am also uncomfortable with the stage kiss with minors.  It's just weird.  I work on the blocking first and from a purely technical standpoint.  Then I work on character development and motivation.  If they're still not comfortable I use the heads turned away from the audience thing or even change it to hug.  

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 13.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 08:52
    Hi folks - I don't mean to sound like "the guy with the answer" to this question, but I have a technique for this, and I've never had ANY problems with kissing scenes.  My rule is:  If you have a kiss, you have to do it at the first blocking rehearsal and every rehearsal thereafter (unless someone is sick, of course).  That way, I make the decision on when the first kiss happens, and they don't have all the "Do you want to kiss today?"; "I don't know," business that makes it all so awkward.  I just make it a technical thing like picking up a prop, which eliminates all the gossip from the other kids.  By the time they get to the show, they're over it, and the kisses go well.  You may think they'd have trouble generating an on-stage spark with this method, but kissing IS an intimate act, and they always develop a connection.

As an actor, I hate when directors leave it up to us to decide when to kiss.  There's just no good way to approach it.  

Get rid of all the awkwardness in early rehearsals, and make the decision yourself on when the kiss happens for the first time.  All the kids know about the "rule," and they know what to expect.  It's worked very well for me.

Allan

--
    Allan Dodson
    Fine Arts Department
    Blessed Trinity High School

• 14.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 09:36
    These tips have been really helpful. I'm doing Over the River and Through the Woods  and none of my old people want to touch, much less kiss! I have 3 of my 4 grandparents in class together, so I may utilize the, "you must sit together" idea. This is my first year as a director and I remember how uncomfortable I was in high school when I had to stage kiss (it was literally just a peck).

Thank you for some of these ideas!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 15.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 10:32
    At the blocking rehearsal I send everyone out but the the couple. I remind them that this is character to character, and no different than the reacting they must do for any kind of relationship scene. I have them hold hands, then a side-hug, then a front hug, then I choreograph what goes where for the actual kiss. Without an audience catcalling, they work through the awkwardness a little easier. After blocking they are required to incorporate the kiss each time we do the scene. I don't allow anyone in the cast to comment on the scene. It seems to work.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 16.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 10:45
    I'm thinking about this one two, as my musical has two kiss scenes and two different casts doing them. Both have significant others in the casts. We haven't gotten to them, but I will probably do "blah blah blah and then you kiss, and then we..." during blocking, and clear the room when we work the acting of the scene.

For our fall play, we had to take the two purest kids in the play and they did a scene where (as boyfriend and girlfriend), the boy tries to convince the girl to lose her virginity to him because the world is ending and they may need to start repopulating. We played it with as much comedy as we could, including a sound cue of "Let's Get it On" that really lightened the moment and helped the kids to relax.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose CA

• 17.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 11:20
    I've been fortunate that most of my students over the years have very little shame.

I try to look at stage kissing as a natural result of actions and the growing affection between the characters.  You either do them, or you don't.  Years ago, I had two kids who were great friends who had wonderful chemistry, and their stage kisses helped move the show along wonderfully.  Even the father of the girl, who was my department chair, thought it was wonderful.

I'm doing a production now where the script calls for a fair amount of hot an heavy kissing, but because of the actor's chemistry, I've basically make the romance the "awkward 7th grade in love" stuff as opposed to two characters written in their mid to late 20s.  It affects the choices we make, but at the end of the day, it still works with the show.

How to deal with it with reluctant actors - you can't force it.  Either they will do it, or they won't.  Trying to force it only makes it more awkward and less rewarding for all involved.

DavidWard
    Mt. HollyNC

• 18.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 12:59
    I have used many of the techniques everyone has used. I too treat it like anything that is difficult (becasue it is)- like stage combat or choreo. I hold a rehearsal called an intimacy rehearsal for these sorts of things and follow a process created by my MA Acting Professor. You can find his process in The Fight Master Magazine. It's called Sex & Violence: Practical Approaches for Dealing with Extreme Stage Physicality. I actually make my students read it before we go into the work and we discuss it first. It breaks the process into principles and then into steps:

Principle One: Partnering
    Principle Two: Slow Motion
    Principle Three: Repetition

Step One: Blueprints- I. The Story, II. The Characters, III. The Audience
    Step Two: No-Fly Zones
    Step Three: Permission and Touch
    Step Four: Ruthless Pursuit
    Step Five: Finding your Flow

I can scan and send a copy to anyone who is interested.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 19.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-06-2017 10:35

Victoria,
    I would very much like a copy of the process you described for rehearsing and choreographing kissing scenes. Thank you for being willing to share!
    mclaryr@ghaps.org 

Rita McLary
    Grand Haven MI

• 20.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-07-2017 08:48
    I would like a copy as well.  nelllynch@aol.com

Nell Lynch

• 21.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-07-2017 09:58
    I would also like a copy of this process.  I believe we have a resources section of the forum which it could be posted to.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 22.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-08-2017 09:13
    I would like a copy as well. steven.skelcey@asd20.org

Steve Skelcey
    Colorado Springs CO

• 23.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-08-2017 21:33
    Please send me a copy, as well
    nancy.bernhard@salinasuhsd.org

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas CA

• 24.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-10-2017 10:26

Please send to me as well.

galindo@phoenixunion.org

• 25.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-09-2017 06:40
    I would love a copy, as well

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose CA

• 26.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-10-2017 07:31
    Victoria;

If you don't mind, I would also like a copy of the article.

IMBOBBD@aol.com

Thanks!

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    Slatersville RI

• 27.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-02-2017 17:09
    This can be a challenge. Some things that have worked for me in the past:

Start with hand holding, hugging, and kisses on the cheek. Getting them used to being physically close to each other is half the battle. Once we get to kissing on the cheek, I have them slowly move towards the mouth - the corner of the mouth, half the mouth, and finally full mouth. Even if it's just a peck, it's a good place to start. Then I set time limits. A peck full mouth. One second full mouth. Then two seconds. And so on until they can kiss for the desired amount of time. Then start adding layers like hands in the hair or on the neck. By that time its such old new to the actors they're usually ready to just go for it. Also ask them to visualize their dream kiss and try to pretend that that's what's happening. 

Best of luck to you and your actors!

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 28.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-05-2017 20:48
    I never felt comfortable letting kids kiss on stage, especially working with kids who hadn't even had their first real life kiss! The other issue is that there is so much promiscuity & sex thrown at them through Hollywood, I didn't want to promote that. Yes, I know it's a part of theater but I always liked to error on the side of caution.
    When we did Cinderella, my talented Prince was 3yrs younger than my Cinderella. It took a lot of time teaching him how to gently touch her & draw her in. For Cinderella, she would be drawn in & bashfully pull away. A little cat & mouse. There's SO much that can be said silently with touch, with glances, with subtle smiles.... I also hide kisses behind a hat, tree, etc, use gentle cheek to cheek, and the ever classy kissing of the hand. 
    I knew I was doing the right thing  when my Prince told his mom "I'm learning how to treat a lady" - that melted my heart! 
    Many people have told me that they appreciate how I communicate love scenes and really like the wholesomeness. 
    You have to do what works for you. 

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 29.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-06-2017 07:50
    Working with middle school, I had always had the boy put his hands on her face and kiss the inside of his hand. For years, my audiences didn't know the difference. It wasn't until a former principal objected that anyone other than the two people I had worked with in a private rehearsal one afternoon had to know. Ironically, we combined our high school and middle school to do AIDA last year and the kiss was real. The boy was a 10th-grader who I had worked with since he was in 6th grade and he already had a reputation of dating several girls. The girl was a 7th-grader, but very mature for her age. In fact, her girlfriend was playing Amneris. So when they approached me to ask if the two kisses could be real, I left it up to them and their parents. Once both sets of parents agreed, I told them to just do it one day at practice and not tell anyone else. See what would happen. The rest of the cast reacted wonderfully. They were surprised and excited to have a real kiss onstage at last. It became one of the most talked about moments in the play, and both of them were glad they did it. This year, their chemistry has led them to be cast as the Baker and Baker's Wife. Both of them have decided to pursue acting as a career.

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 30.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-06-2017 08:12
    I agree with Alan. I find I have far less of an issue if the kiss is handled in the first blocking of the scene. When the movements are worked out like staging, it takes away the awkwardness. I only ran into trouble in the past, when I allowed the actors to put it off, and found adding the kiss later to be very traumatic. I think we all agree that we would never add a kiss that was not necessary, however, some kisses are crucial for the plot and story. I honestly don't remember my first real kiss, but students who have had their first real kiss happen on stage tell me they have a wonderful memory.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 31.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-06-2017 13:59
    There is something so special and sacred about a first kiss, and I won't diminish that by asking anyone to kiss for real onstage, even if they are 'willing.' I hold a firm no. I insist that ALL kisses be 'staged'.  My favorite technique is having Partner A place his hands on Partner B's face, pulling her in and rotating her face upstage while he slips his upstage thumb over her lips, kisses his thumb, and reverses the process.  It makes for a lovely, sweet moment, the audience never knows it wasn't real, and I haven't stolen his or her first-kiss-moment.

Susan Draus
    teacher & theater advisor
    Downingtown Area School District
    Downingtown PA

• 32.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-08-2017 13:38
    I really like your ideas Susan Draus

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 33.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-07-2017 05:52
    I, too, block the kiss from day one. I'm upfront with the kids about how, for many of them, it might be a first kiss. (I do ask who is willing at auditions, and avoid casting 7th and 8th graders in kissing parts.) then, I make a big deal, to the entire cast about their reactions, both on and offstage: no faces, no "oh yuck, I am grossed out by this person," and no oohing , clapping, or laughing, or other vocal or facial reactions from the peanut gallery. I remind all of them that for some, this might be a memory forever, especially if it's a first kiss, and it is their responsibility to give those actors a good memory. That seems to work for me. Now, I did have a real audience react immaturely once during a romantic scene, and the actors themselves told. Their friends afterward told their friends how difficult it was for them and a good lesson was learned. And, I did leave the room for the first staging of my daughter's first kiss in rehearsal for Almost, Maine. Seemed only right if her mother did not witness that.

Sent from my iPad

• 34.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-10-2017 08:18
    Victoria,

You can make it easy on yourself by replying and attaching the document that way.   Plus any future folks who search this thread can find it as well!

I would also suggest posting it to the Library as well!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 35.  RE: Kissing Scenes

Posted 03-14-2017 12:41
      |   view attached
    Hi all, I'm sorry it's taken so long but here's the article I spoke about.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

Attachment(s)

pdf
    IntimacyArticle.pdf   4.42 MB 1 version