Open Forum

View Only

Following through on the contract

• 1.  Following through on the contract

Posted 04-21-2015 07:07
    What would you do? Antigone opens on Thursday. Middle school preview tomorrow. Last night after rehearsal I caught three cast members smoking pot in the school bathroom. One is my student director who is also under-studying Haemon since Haemon is in the hospital. One is my chorus leader who is also a candidate for club officer next year. One is a guard. This morning I will likely be turning their names in to admin and letting them do what they do. Thing is, I'm in a new district and have no idea what the consequences will be. I have not slept all night trying to get my brain around the fact that with two days until opening I may very likely have to cancel the show. I might be able to get another Haemon. Doesn't seem like I had too many guys when I was seeking an understudy when my first Haemon went in to hospital. Maybe a girl could play the part? I could put a chorus leader up with script in hand, but would he or she ever get the blocking down? With only one day to rehearse before we have an audience. A guard might be easy to procure. He onl has three lines. Ethically I cannot justify not turning them in can I? Word is likely to get out. Kids talk. That could cost me my position or at the very least any future credibility with kids at this school. I don't want to be the pushover teacher. There is a reason we have a contract. I've already had to enforce it once this year when a kid got suspended for something unrelated to our program. The kids actually tried to make a case to me to not turn them in. "Rehearsal was already over, they weren't hurting anyone, and hey it's 420." They apologized but it seemed they we're more upset about the consequences than they were about what happened. One is a senior. If suspension is given he may forfeit graduation. His own consequence for his choices. But I will be blamed. Had any other teacher caught them it would not even be a question. They would be reported. I've only been able to come up with one way to keep them in the show. I remember when I was a kid. The fear of my parents finding out far outweighed any consequence the school could have come up with. I could do a sit down with all three sets of parents and let them handle it at home. Knowing these parents it will not be taken lightly. The senior graduates but all three forfeit involvement in any further theatre activities this year, and for the underclassman, next year's first show. The officer candidate has to withdraw his candidacy, which I think goes without saying. Although I will likely have to do these things as well as recast or cancel. Postponement is not an option. I have recast individual actors with a week before opening before. Grades or suspensions or other contract violations. One time two chorus members and a crew member in a musical were suspended with a week until opening. They would have missed all of tech week. We re-did the dances and went on. But with two days and two leads? The show might not recover. I am so hurt am angered by what these kids have done. For putting me in this position and jeopardizing the show like this. I suppose by the time this posts to the web, the worst of this will be behind me, but honestly, what would you do? ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-21-2015 07:57

You have to report this to your administration first thing this morning.  I know weed is legal in CO, but this was on school property.  This is not even a choice, this is your job.  Do not let the kids try to talk you out of it.  Do not let them try to give you a guilt trip.  They made a choice and there are consequences for those choices, which your administration will determine.  What happens to them is not your fault, but you have to do your job.  And not only do kids talk, but you posted this on an online message board, so any hope of not reporting this is long gone.

As far as cancelling goes, don't.  Your cast will pull together.  Put kids up there with scripts in hand if you have to.  Heck, you jump up there with the script and be the chorus leader if you have to.  It may not be the show you envisioned, but it will give the kids who worked their butts off a chance to do the show.  Your audience will understand.  They will be rooting for your kids to do well.

Honestly, moments like this are how you build a reputation as an educator and as a director.  Be strong and confident when you see your cast after school, have a plan in place, let them know it's going to be all right.  It will be all right.  You (and they) can do it!

------------------------------
    Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 3.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 10:16
    Couldn't agree more. Turn them in. I had the same debate with myself several years ago when some kids were drinking during a rehearsal. I found out about it on a Saturday, turned them in on Monday at lunch (spending time talking to colleagues). The kids got suspended for the five school days of tech week. Enjolras, sound board op and one other key position had to be replaced. You will gain a lot of respect from students, parents, admin, etc. for doing the right thing. Also, even if you had the option to postpone, I wouldn't. Students need to know that it is not your job to work around their issues, especially misbehavior. Figure out the most workable Plan B and move forward. I get the hurt. It can be almost debilitating. But getting through it for and with the rest of the kids will empower you and your program for many years to come. ------------------------------ Helen Dixon Oakley CA ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-21-2015 09:48

"The culture of any organization is shaped by the worst behavior the leader is willing to tolerate."  Todd Whitaker.  

You cannot NOT report this incident.  They are under 21 and it was on school grounds.  As you said yourself, if it was any other teacher...  To not report, clearly sets a precedence that not only will you cover for student's bad behavior but that theatre kids are above the law, school rules and policies.   This is a lead actor and a future officer - leadership of your team.  This is a stinky choice, but you can take the short term hit on this show or live with the long term consequences of lying and covering up to save a show.  

With that said - these are all kids.  This is a teaching moment.  They are all watching how you will handle this.  I would be shocked, in our technology age, if every member of your program doesn't already know about this. Either because they proudly posted to Instagram or Twitter before you arrived or because they posted after.  

Several years ago I had to cancel How To Succeed in Business....the Monday of show week.  Finch quit.  It stunk!  I had exhausted all options to cover the role - including trying to hire someone - so had to cancel.  I lost a chunk of money and it was a headache to refund tickets, cancel costume rental, etc...  But, it was a teaching moment.  

The outcomes here all depend on how you handle it.  (no stress!)  But, this is why we became teachers. 

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-21-2015 10:03

Scott, my heart goes out to you. It is stinky, and I can empathize with how you're feeling. It does hurt when kids make pretty stupid choices like this.

I'm with previous responses, you have to report it. You can't not. The legality of smoking pot is not the issue, it's on school grounds, they're getting intoxicated (whether they're harming anyone or not), and there has to be consequences. Would their employer turn a blind eye to them smoking pot in the employee break room? Probably not. The majority of jobs require employees to be drug free (I have worked at Busch Gardens, and know they have a really strict drug enforcement policy, as do all the theme parks).

You don't have to cancel. A girl could do it, at a push. A student could hold the script, all you have to do before the show is announce that 'the part of...will be played by x, who graciously has stepped in at the 11th hour to perform the role.' The audience will understand (and everybody will likely have an awareness of why those particular roles have been replaced). You can pull it off. My Nurse for Romeo & Juliet had a violent sickness that overtook her on the day of performance, and one of my other students performed the role flawlessly, even with a script. Audience didn't bat an eyelid, and she even got much praise and encouragement for stepping in at the last minute (she was due to perform as Titania the following night!). Still, she was happy. She got double Thespian points for awesome-ness. My only recommendation would be have a performer who can read well do it. Antigone isn't the easiest of scripts to pull off, but you would be well served in getting someone who can read well straight off the page. Give them a day to read it over, get familiar with it, you'll do fine, and the show will come together, and with the proper stance taken over the discipline issue, will be a defining moment for your program.

Again, I pray for your production and your heart, and know also that kids are kids. Teachable moment, ra ra ra. Hang in there!

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 6.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-21-2015 17:02

I have to agree with what everyone says, you have to turn them in. Your reputation with the students as well as your job is on the line.

If you have to cancel it will be a huge learning moment for the rest of the cast. Theatre is a community and some members of the community showed disrespect for the cast & crew, themselves and the school. 

If you can go on, grab a good reader and let him go out with a script in his hand. I've done it twice, just be sure the actor has a script in his hand for EVERY performance, even if he thinks he knows the lines. The audience will forgive all with script in hand but if he goes up w/o the script, he's just a bad actor to the audience. I'd do a pre-curtain speech explaining that three actors had to be removed suddenly (everyone knows why so don't try to hide it but don't go into details either). It's a teaching moment for everyone.

Break a leg!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 06:11

Scott,

What everyone else said.  Turn them in.  Replace them with people with scripts.  Do a preshow announcement.  This will set your reputation in a very positive way.

Prayers to you as you deal with this unfortunate situation.

Ray

Raymond Palasz
    Schererville IN

• 8.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 06:38
    As others said...you have to turn it in. Does it suck and screw you over in the process? Yes. But there really is not an option. Who knows, maybe it will give some other students a chance to really shine. They might surprise you. I recently had a production where one of my leads kept goofing off and wouldn't learn his lines, etc. During the show, a chorus member who was just that vested in the show literally saved him on about 20% of his lines... It happened on school property and school time. Even just talking to the parents isn't an option because if anyone found out you would be the one getting in trouble. Is it worth losing your job for them? ------------------------------ Jennifer Simmons Lexington SC ------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 06:46

My heart goes out to you, but you must turn them in. Go on yourself as Haemon with book in hand, if necessary. You're not doing these students (or any of your students) a favor by letting them get away with what they knew was wrong. One way or another the show will go on without them... or even be cancelled, which is not the end of the world.

Writing from the other side, as a college professor and theatre professional, I've encountered young performers who have gotten away with too much earlier in their lives and that's not helped them in the long run. They are the students who think they can skip a college production rehearsal to go to a concert. They become the young actors in NY who don't think they have to help load in a show for a Fringe Festival, who party too hard the night before a big audition, who sit around complaining about not getting cast instead of working hard as an intern, who think the world will forgive them for not learning their lines in advance of a very short rehearsal schedule. 

I once had to fire the sweetest guy from a school production because after committing to a certain rehearsal schedule he said he had to take a weekend for another event (not a job or family conflict). We all adored this young man and the cast was astonished I wasn't willing to let him out, but at the end of the day another actor learned the part in a day, played both roles and the discipline for the entire company improved.

Please let us all know how this plays out for you. Wishing you all the best.

Arlene Hutton
    playwright
    New York NY

• 10.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 06:49

Two weeks ago, after working for months on a showcase of A Midsummer Night's Dream, we had a water main break that affected the school and everything--including the performance of the show that night--was cancelled or postponed to the next day. On the new night, I lost Bottom, Helena, Hermia and Flute to prior commitments. Granted not the same as smoking pot on campus, but I feel your anguish, because it goes beyond way pain! Thankfully, because we were doing the show as a class project one night only, and I had divided the parts--except Bottom--among several students, their counterparts were able to be understudies and go on with scripts as they had the blocking down already. For Bottom--I divided the part between two actors and rehearsed the heck out of those scenes during class.

Turn them in. You have no choice. Beyond violating a performance contract, they have violated school rules and your consequences are longer term. PUt students on with scripts, explain it to the audience without the gory details, and remember it will all come together somehow. It's magic.

Leslie Weinstein
    Monongahela PA

• 11.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 06:57

Obviously you will report this.  I just want to echo what others have said here.  I don't think this is a situation in which you cannot save most of the production.  Put students on stage with scripts.  Choose a female lead.  Many of the chorus students will know the blocking and character.

I attended a production once, many years ago at another school, in which before the show in the house announcements the director/teacher made a very brief, but eloquent, statement about students making choices and how those choices effect everyone else (the specific "choices" weren't disclosed).  Then she stated that in the production we will see a few students with scripts and how these individuals stepped up in the past few days to fill these roles, and that she hoped we all would look past this and enjoy the show.  It was a great teachable moment for the cast, crew and audience, and the show was excellent.  

I know that today this is not much comfort, but you are an intelligent, dedicated professional and your students know it.  Whatever decisions you make, be sure it is motivated by continuing to create a learning environment.

Best wishes in whatever the outcome is.

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Plesant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 12.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 07:50

You have to turn them in. This happened in a show 15 years ago when some kids smoked pot at a party and I replaced four roles...two of them large roles within a week for Bye Bye Birdie. The replacements were better. :) Bad behavior has to have consequences and kids have to know you are serious about it. Memorization could be an issue...but maybe placing lines around the set , as crazy as that sounds, might work. When kids are challenged, they often rise to the occasion. 

Lastly, do not take it personally. I did all those years ago. But, it isn't about you at all. It's just teenagers making dumb decisions...that is what they do. Hopefully you will help them learn and grown from this. That is what educators do! :)

You will get through it! Break a leg! 

Angela Hillman
    Director of CAPA
    Livonia Public Schools
    Livonia MI

• 13.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 08:12

Scott,

You must report the incident. You cannot choose this production over your career. Do you really think the students will not talk? The administration will find out. And even if for some reason they did not, what do you want to teach your students - it's ok to do something wrong as long as you are in a production?

Ask an alumni to come back and play the part(s). Have a teacher hold a script and read the lines. Don't worry about the blocking - just put the replacement off to the side and let the others act and react as if the actor was doing the blocking. There are a lot of options available to you - but you cannot put your career as a teacher in jeopardy because some students did not have enough respect for you, the cast and crew, and the production to not do something so selfish.  

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN

• 14.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 09:36
    You have to turn them in and then do your best "the show must go on" replacements.  The kids who did not mess up will learn a valuable lesson as well.

Susan St. John
    Tempe AZ

• 15.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 09:40

I'm in total agreement with everyone here.  You turn them in asap--I would have even called my AD and notified parents immediately.  If you don't, everyone (including admin eventually) will know and you will most likely lose your job (if not all student respect).

It's awful that you are put in this position, but it's an opportunity for your group to have a valuable learning experience.  The show must go on, no matter how that happens--make it work in any way possible, but show those kids that their actions impacted EVERYONE and make it work!

Best of luck!

Molly Grasso
    Nebraska
    Papillion-LaVista H.S.
    Papillion NE

• 16.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 09:50

Report it-- for the sake of the kids who need consequences, for the sake of the program and most of all for your job security.  If you don't and word gets out even within the kids circle who knows what they could do next and feel like they could get away with.  Plus, it was AT SCHOOL in the bathrooms.  That alone should give you enough reason.  Sounds harsh, I know it is difficult but YOU did not put them in this situation, the students did!

I have had to replace the Audrey in Little Shop an hour before we were to do a performance for the high school.  The cast pulled together for the sake of the show and it actually helped the program overall because her friends made it known to the actress that this was not okay.  I was a 2nd or 3rd year teacher at the time just following the rules of the contract that they signed and agreed to abide by so I understand your dilemma.  I did not want to do it but had support of the other staff in the production.  It was also told to me later by colleagues that they had no idea that I had to replace someone-- that is how well the cast pulled together.  They may surprise you. 

After the fact, let your principal know your dilemma, concerns, etc. about the situation and once they know how you have handled it and that you did so on the up and up the admin should see what kind of importance the theatre program at your school is to students and how you handle tough situations.

Sincerely,

A fellow Coloradoan,

Julie Estrada
    Loveland CO

• 17.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 12:39

First, I am so sorry.  I agree, you must report it.  We invest so much in them and in the production, it comes as such a slap in the face of you and every member of the cast when they behave selfishly. That said, this moment, even if it means a cancelled show, will go down in history because, as you said, kids talk.  Put it to the rest of the cast as far as how to fix it.  Their brilliance can shine through in moments like this.  If there is truly no way to go on with the show, then the students will have learned and will share the consequences of selfish actions, and hopefully it will never be an issue again!

Just after lunch on the day of my winter production, the AP came to me with one of my leads so he could tell me that he had just been suspended.  The kids rallied, It wasn't the showI envisioned, but they came through and they were proud and the lesson was learned. Let us know how things come out!

Andrea Grace
    Denver CO

• 18.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 12:41

I am sure you have turned these students in by now. The thing I know after years of teaching is that students are resilient. They will rise to the occasion and surprise you. This event will set the bar for future students. It will be a story that will mark how as a director, you follow the rules and so should they.

Our first job is to raise good people. Let the good people remaining play the parts and show the others that life goes on when they are gone. We all have a story like this. We all survived. You will as well. Hugs and break a leg. Stand tall and clap loudly at the end for the ones who went on!

Susan

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 19.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 16:05

Scott,

I hope things worked out for the best.  Once the show is over, please let us all know how it went.  

Break a leg!

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 20.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 17:45
    As a teacher, director, school employee, and adult, you unfortunately have to turn them in. I am sorry for you and the rest of the cast, but if it is on school campus, there is no other recourse. I would hate for you to lose your job. The show can go on and I'm would hope the other cast members will rally around to make the show go on!, Best to you! ------------------------------ John Freeman Theatre Director / Fine Arts Director Macon GA ------------------------------

• 21.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-22-2015 18:34

Thanks everyone.

It was never a question of whether or not I would turn them in. It was the only right thing to do.  It was a question of how to go on or whether or not to go on. I love the ideas here. I was definitely leaning toward the readers theatre version of Antigone.

However, admin had a different take on the thing. Remember I am new to this district. In my old district 5 days suspension would have been automatic.  Apparently we have a program here called "Restorative Justice."  It really would have been nice if this had been covered in new employee orientation.  

The dean gave them all lunch detention for three weeks and referred them to the social worker who will do an addictions assessment on them (probably a good thing). The restorative justice part involves another support person and means they have to write an apology to me personally and make a public apology to the group.  Not what I would have expected from an inner-city district at all.  

Failure to comply with the above will result in a police ticket and suspension.  Well that's something. I felt this was a bit soft so I added my own piece to this. The students do not get to participate in any other functions of the theatre program this year and through the fall play next year.  That means no banquet, induction, or improv show.  One student was a drama board candidate and he has to withdraw his candidacy.  The one senior is on a final warning of not being allowed to participate in commencement.  Parents have been notified and in touch with me as well. I think, in at least two cases, the consequences at home will be severe.  

I have replaced actors for similar and other reasons up to three or four days before opening. There were no replacements. I tried to find them. Admin decided that canceling the show would have too much of a negative impact on the school as a whole.  It would invite people to ask questions they don't want to answer.  

Let me put a spin on that. Admin recognizes theatre as a positive influence on the school as a whole and do not want that jeopardized by a public scandal. We've been in the news a bit lately and they don't want any more of that.  

I still think the kids got off easy, but the show goes on, I am in integrity and have hopefully set a precedent for the future.  

Scott Hasbrouck
    Wheat Ridge CO
    --------------------------

• 22.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-23-2015 06:19

Scott,

I agree that your school's consequences seem a bit soft, though I do like the components they have.  I just wish there was something with more teeth from them.  However, I think you have put teeth into things by having consequences within the theatre organization.  I had to do something similar last year when students abused social media during a production.

I'm not sure if you did this already, but perhaps a discussion with the company of Antigone would be a good idea.  Let them know that those students made a mistake, and now everyone sees the consequences.  Time will heal the wounds those students inflicted, but if future students decide to do something similar in the next couple of years (because those will be the students who experienced this incident), it will be even more disappointing. 

Hang in there!

Raymond Palasz
    Schererville IN

• 23.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-23-2015 08:55
    I am entirely gobsmacked.....Illegal activities on school grounds = lunch detention.  w.o.w.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 24.  RE: Following through on the contract

Posted 04-23-2015 10:14
    I agree with your extra consequences.  Almost twenty years ago, my troupe co-director caught our troupe ​president​ smoking (tobacco, but still ...) on a rehearsal break.  My co-director dropped the student from the show (a day or two before opening) and reported her to the school for disciplinary action, but together we relieved her of her presidential duties, and promoted the vice president to serve out the rest of the year leading the troupe.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL