Open Forum

View Only

Communication during play production

• 1.  Communication during play production

Posted 06-29-2015 11:00

I'm curious what effective forms of communication different teachers/directors have found for posting information about rehearsal schedules and other reminders to cast and crew members during a play's production.  I'm particularly interested in online options.

------------------------------
    Janet Rhoads
    Drama, Forensics, Public Speaking Instructor
    Andale High School

Andale, KS

• 2.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 06-29-2015 11:33

I use Remind (Remind.com), email, and texting. This year I'm adding Google Calendar and Canvas. The problem I have is that not all my students have computer and/or phone access or there is not one consistent method or app to get messages to everyone.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 06-29-2015 12:53

I concur with John, there isn't a one size catches all or one uniform way of catching everyone. 

I use Facebook, which seems to be the most reliable and catches 85% of students. I also use Dialmycalls, which I use to promote our classroom productions to parents (whose child somehow forgets to get that letter home to students). Plan to use Remind this year, and maybe Google calendar too.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE:Communication during play production

Posted 06-29-2015 15:33
    Google Classroom is a good way to go if your school is going that direction. It gives them the opportunity to ask questions, you can add attachments, links, etc. I also use the Direct It app from Colorado Thespians. Most of them give me their texting email address (your phone number has it's own email that you would send and receive as text messages). That way, I'm only sending out the info once, but it hits all of the kids that want texts (without them having my number), and the kids that don't have a phone get emails. My publicity chair also tweets everything to hit the social media side, but the vast majority of my kids prefer texts to any other means of communication.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 5.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-01-2015 00:33

I would like to hear more about the app you mentioned. "Direct it"

What details can you share? I tried to find it on the Colorado EDTA site to no avail. 

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher

Auburn High School
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 6.  RE:Communication during play production

Posted 07-01-2015 17:09
    I believe it is only available on iPad. Here is the link to the App Store. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/direct-it/id621487837?mt=8

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

• 7.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-02-2015 10:45

Direct It is pretty excellent.  Right now it's only available on the Android market for tablets and the app store for iPads.  It works best on those types of devices.  

It does a lot of things to simplify your communication process, and organizes communications for you once you've input your cast and crew.  

If you have more questions please contact Dr. Jay Seller @ jay@think360arts.org

Good luck!

Jeremy Goldson
    Denver CO

• 8.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 06-29-2015 17:05

As a student, I would just like you to know that I highly recommend remind101 you'll reach all of your students that have a phone. And nowadays that's a great deal of people. You can also set up a different account to reach participating parents.

Kira Powers
    Los Angeles CA

• 9.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 06-30-2015 08:11

Online, I use Edmodo that has a place to file other useful information including ticket order forms, YouTube clips, practice music, and dramaturgy research,etc. However, with all of this technology my students have told me that they like me to post the paper calendar outside my classroom door; that way they can check it daily and take pictures of it for their own record. Many of my students don't have a computer at home and have limited data plans on their phones and unlike the paper calendar that I print, they never lose  their phones :)

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 10.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-01-2015 10:47

I build a Google website for each production and maintain a Google site for The Drama  department.  Each of these is linked to each other and the school website.

We hold a parent meeting after each Main Stage show is cast and share these sites with the parents of all performers and technicians.

We also use Remind to text students and parents and post the schedule etc. on our Drama Bulletin Board located outside the Studio.

William Jacobsen
    Red Deer AB

• 11.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-01-2015 21:46

Hello.  My school uses My Big Campus which allows me to set up a Drama Club group so I can post a calendar and messages that all of my drama students can access with their iPads.  Of course, I also use the old fashioned paper schedule as well and post it outside my classroom.  I've noticed several students still check it out!

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Muncie IN

• 12.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 06-30-2015 08:42

We use Teamwork (teamwork.com) for project management. We tried a whole bunch of other solutions (like Basecamp, Google Drive, etc.) before finally settling on this one. It allows us to easily send messages to all of our team members (and create an archive of communications for future reference), set deadlines and record when tasks are completed, and sync to our Google Drive where students can upload files (like design renderings). It's the best project management software we've used yet, and we're definitely going to stick with this one.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director, National Theatre for Student Artists
    New York NY

• 13.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-01-2015 08:34

Happy to help out.  Here are the tools I use for communication:

I have my SM and ASMs in class.  I start every advanced drama class with a short production meeting to make sure everyone is aware of schedules, construction, etc.

I have a "call-board" outside my classroom where I post the rehearsal schedule, costume notes, and other details my rookie students often forget about.  

We have a Facebook page for my program (facebook.com/NorthwestTheatreCompany) and I post to it daily with messages, rehearsal photos, links to costumes and set images, etc.

We use a free app, "Remind" that in which I can send text messages (just like tweets) to all of my cast/crew and most importantly...THEIR PARENTS!!!  At our first big parent meeting, scheduled as soon as rehearsals begin, everyone is given the code to access our "Remind" account.  Its free, fast and soooo easy. The best part - no one can send messages back! It's a one-way communication tool (unlike Twitter) so you won't get bogged down with swapping messages back and forth.

Finally, I cannot stress enough the importance of being nice and getting along with other teachers (sadly, this is a struggle for all of us at times).  Several times a week, I send out a school-wide email for the entire staff to see when I'll be using the theatre and other facilities in the building. This often prompts teachers to ask their classes about the show which helps build interest and, more importantly, good will.

Break a leg!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 14.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-02-2015 10:09

When I was in high school, we tested out Virtual Callboard, which was good for sending text messages to groups of people and inputting conflicts, but was extremely confusing. 

In college I used Propared as a stage manager to communicate with the cast and creative team. It's a new online application that helps keep everyone on the same page. 

Kaitlyn Ackerman

• 15.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 06-30-2015 10:37

We use Schoology, which students use for all of their courses (so for extra-curricular theater, we add a course)

Our district has rolled out 1:1 iPads so our students all have access.  It is slick and has improved communication for us (as well as uploading documents, videos, notes, etc)

Tom Krueger
    Minneapolis MN

-------------------------------------------We 
    Original Message:
    Sent: 06-29-2015 11:00
    Subject: Communication during play production

I'm curious what effective forms of communication different teachers/directors have found for posting information about rehearsal schedules and other reminders to cast and crew members during a play's production.  I'm particularly interested in online options.

Janet Rhoads
    Drama, Forensics, Public Speaking Instructor
    Andale High School

Andale, KS

• 16.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 06-30-2015 13:14

I concur. There isn't a perfect answer. I provide a general schedule during auditions and a track list when we have a our first rehearsal. I also send any update info through my student production team. It's an extra benefit of having them there. My AD, SM, and Asst SM all get everyone's phone number and email. I have them in class everyday, so I can communicate with the entire cast and crew via them. It's worked really well. The kids all pretty much have each others' contact info so it's not a problem. It goes into a group message for either cast, crew, or everyone.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 17.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-02-2015 10:18

If you have access to an iPad, the Direct It app is useful. It's laced in how it clusters the text, but it allows me to put director notes directly in everyone's email. 

Scott Hasbrouck
    Wheat Ridge CO

• 18.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-02-2015 23:15

Celly is a service like Remind BUT it is 2 way communication. We actually used it during the festival this year with our group and it worked GREAT! Our district is asking teachers to switch to this method simply because it is able to be archived unlike Remind. Just a tip. Celly customer service is also outstanding. We used the service with our peer tutors this year as well and it was a success. The student/parent numbers remain hidden but they have a user name. You create groups just like with remind but their ability to reply is very helpful - especially with things like festival and shows.

Suzanne Maguire
    GEAR UP Coordinator
    Spokane Public Schools
    Spokane WA

• 19.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-07-2015 16:00

Remind does allow for two way communication but it has to be turned on.  The big issue I'm finding with my kids is that they all have unlimited texting but not unlimited data and Remind uses data (or wifi) so they're resisting it.  I'm trying to find an option that allows the messages to be sent via text without it actually being a text so that it can be recorded just in case it's ever needed.

Facebook is our most useful tool.  We have a facebook group for every show, to which students involved in the production and their parents are added.  It allows me to upload files, which is great for getting updated rehearsal schedules to everyone, and allows a platform for question/answers, suggestions, reminders, etc.

The majority of my kids don't use email much, so it's not a great choice from that aspect.  I'm going to check out Celly and see if it's a better option for us than Remind, and also see check out the one that was mentioned that allows an email to be sent as a text to phones.  That would be super useful for me.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 20.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-09-2015 16:23

I've been using virtual stagemanager at stagemanagement.com, pricy, but it works well and is dependable.  I am going to subsidize the cost with our dance team and the choir because you pay for one use per building.  It will send out texts to the kids when you need it too and is accessible via going online.  I havent had a callboard in the theatre because all the space was being covered by cabinets, I've been working on clearing space and will make sure kids check that on a daily basis as well.

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 21.  RE:Communication during play production

Posted 07-11-2015 21:48
    Any email can be sent as a text, you just need the email for your phone number. For example, I can send an email to my 10digitphone#@txt.att.net and I will receive it as a text. I think this list is pretty exhaustive: http://www.emailtextmessages.com/

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

• 22.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-14-2015 18:47

All of our students have Google accounts through our school, so we mostly use Google tools.

The Production Team has a shared Google folder. Each department has a folder within the shared folder where they can save important documents--designs, plans, contact information for crew members, schedules, inspiration, etc. My stage manager takes notes at each production meeting and saves them in the Shared folder. Also, when it came time for technical and dress rehearsals, I simply typed up my notes for the evening and saved them in the folder--everyone could access them, we didn't have to stay late afterward, and it created an instant to-do list for the next day.

My stage manager also created a Google Site for the actors with all of the relevant information--rehearsal schedule, contact information, etc. Whenever she needed to collect information from the cast or crew, she would send them a Google Form, which collected the info and automatically sorted it into a spreadsheet.

My SM also sent out daily reminders to the cast and crew using the Remind app. She would remind them of what was happening at rehearsal or build, who was called, if they needed to bring anything, etc. Remind also has a website, which is handy because you can schedule reminders to be sent at certain times.

Hope that helps! :) 

Jennifer Dinndorf
    Plymouth MN

• 23.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-15-2015 10:21

MINNESOTA!

Tom Krueger
    Minneapolis MN

• 24.  RE: Communication during play production

Posted 07-16-2015 10:56

I've used GroupMe (free app) quite extensively.  You register with a cell phone number or email address (I don't know that this information becomes/needs to be public to your group), and get unlimited, targeted messaging.

Brian Monk
    Cincinnati OH