Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Puppet Stage

Posted 09-02-2018 10:06
    You all are the best! Anyway, I am working with my stem teacher to build a rolling puppet stage that we can tour around the school. We are going to do a puppet version of a Midsummer nights dream.  Does anyone out there have plans for a rolling puppet stage?

Also, if anyone out there has puppet scripts, puppet ideas, puppet lesson plans, I would love to share!

(Please forgive my bad punctuation, I'm sitting in my car doing this voice to text. I do know better.)

------------------------------
    Julie Sukman
    Theatre Teacher
    Oglethorpe Middle School
    Savannah GA

• 2.  RE: Puppet Stage

Posted 09-03-2018 08:35
    Maureen Brady Johnson's book "Middle Mania" has a wonderful puppet unit in it. She lays out everything you need each day, including grading rubrics. I just finished the puppet unit with three classes of 6th & 7th graders and they had a BLAST.  It takes you through puppet care, using motion to show emotion, using your voice, solo writing, solo performance, team writing and team performance.  A+ unit.   

The book includes equally comprehensive units on mask work, giant puppets, and working with music. Definitely worth the buy. 

I LOVE the idea of doing midsummer as a puppet show - would love to see pics of the production when you're done!

Also, following, because I'm thinking a rolling puppet stage makes much more sense than bringing other classes into the drama room :)
    AB

Ashley Bishop
    Teacher
    Birmingham AL

• 3.  RE: Puppet Stage

Posted 09-03-2018 09:21
    I'll get it! 

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Puppet Stage

Posted 09-07-2018 14:17
    ​Hi, Julie!  How wonderful to hear that you're incorporating puppets/puppetry into your middle school curriculum!  HOORAY!

I'll attach some resources that might be useful--some stage plans and a book list.  These books have great puppet designs and some stage ideas, too.

Don't hesitate to reach out should you have any questions and/or need any additional information!

Hope to see you in Denver at EdTA Conference or at a Thespian festival soon!

All my best,
    Aretta

Aretta Baumgartner
    Education Director
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    Atlanta, GA
    www.puppet.org
    arettabaumgartner@puppet.org

Attachment(s)

pdf
    CMT PVC stage.pdf   446 KB 1 version
    pdf
    cogic PVC puppet stage.pdf   1.93 MB 1 version
    pdf
    joyner PVC stage.pdf   811 KB 1 version
    pdf
    ledbetter PVC stage.pdf   223 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Puppet Stage

Posted 09-08-2018 09:33
    Aretta, 

Wonderful to see you on here! 

Folks, if you can get there, take your kids to Atlanta to see her place. The Center for Puppetry Arts has a beautiful and comprehensive museum covering the history of puppetry all over the world, a stellar Jim Henson special exhibit (Big Bird, up close? come ON!), and space for hands on puppet building activities. I was super impressed when we visited last fall. 

AB

Ashley Bishop
    Theatre Director
    R.F. Bumpus Middle School
    Hoover, AL