Open Forum

View Only

One-Act Festival

• 1.  One-Act Festival

Posted 09-21-2020 12:58
    My school is looking to produce a One-Act Festival instead of our traditional full-length play. Does anyone have advice on how to best do this? Any favorite One-Acts? Any resources you have used? I am struggling to find short One-Acts that would work with our students. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Catherine Haskins
    Port Clinton OH

• 2.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-22-2020 07:51
    Medea by Christopher Durang and Wendy Wasserstein is wonderful and would lend itself to socially distanced and or digital production.  HitPlays.com or Heuer publishing has a lot of fun 10 minute plays.  We've produced a number of those for fun including among them P.G. which is also fantastic and would again lend itself to film or live stream.  

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-24-2020 13:51
    Thank you! I am having some luck with Heuer Publishing!

Catherine Haskins
    Port Clinton OH

• 4.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-24-2020 14:25

Good to hear! I'm glad you're taking a look at the smaller publishers such as Pioneer and Heuer.

Best wishes!

Debra Fendrich

Executive Editor

PDS_Logo_on_White_150

• 5.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-22-2020 10:25
    Hello,
        We are ding The Monologue Show from Hell.
    a collection of 33 short monologues (re-written for virtual theatre)

Greg McGlynn
    McPherson High School
    Troupe #3796​

Greg McGlynn
    Theatre teacher
    Sterling KS

• 6.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-22-2020 10:46
    For H.S. students, Samuel French, Inc via Concord Theatricals, has a long running series of annual Off-Off-Broadway Festival plays.  These one-acts are ten minutes in length, with simple prop & set designs.  Each yearly publication includes 6 or more ten minute plays written by different playwrights.  The editors at Samuel French might be able to tell you which plays have been popular over the years.
    https://www.concordtheatricals.com/search?keyword=Samuel%20french%20Off%20off%20broadway

Sylvia Cahill
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-23-2020 11:59
    What about having the students write the one acts.  

My school has been doing "Take 5" every year since 1963 in which the students write the plays, another group of students direct the plays.  They aren't always good.  But sometimes they are.  And the public seems to forgive them their weaknesses often.  

• 8.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-23-2020 19:54
    Catherine, be careful to consider all the costs when you are picking your plays.  If you choose a one-act in an anthology, you may pay $10+ for each script, then $35 to $45 per play, per performance royalty.  The one year when we actually lost money on our annual collection of short plays was when all but one of the scripts were published scripts.  When a fundraiser turns into a fund-depleter, it hurts.

If you have a playwriting component in your program, this might be a terrific time to put student plays on stage.

If you plan to use published plays, and especially if students will be choosing them, I second Michael's recommendation of Heuer Publishing.  You have the advantage of being able to read through the plays online, and they offer script and royalty packages that are quite economical.  And you don't need a membership or account to read the plays, so that makes it easy for students to peruse.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 9.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-24-2020 12:05
    We also do a night of one-acts, which is a big fundraiser for our Theatre Club, partly because there are no real costs involved. The reason is that our students write and direct them. Students work with one of my co-sponsors who offers playwriting workshops to help them craft their shows. We then pick the best of the submissions and the writers of the plays selected have the option of directing their shows. Or they can have someone else direct them, or we pair them with someone more experienced in theater if the writer isn't as experienced. We sometimes get submissions from our creative writing club, who often are not theater kids. The kids love getting the chance to try their hands at writing a play.

Andy Simon
    Theater Teacher
    Naperville North High School
    Naperville, IL

• 10.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-24-2020 12:23
    You might also look at Pioneer Drama Service. They have hundreds of one acts ranging from comedy to drama, plus some quality virtual one acts if you're needing that. They have free script samples plus an offer on their homepage for three free e-views to read the whole play for free. All their scripts are available either on paper or electronically when you place your production order.

Debra Fendrich
    Executive Editor
    Debra@pioneerdrama.com

• 11.  RE: One-Act Festival

Posted 09-25-2020 07:57
    I've found some one acts on LazyBee. You can choose your categories for numbers, comedy/drama etc and you can read most of the shows online.