Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  suggestions for online acting classes?

Posted 03-30-2021 11:22
    Hello all, 

I teach/direct mostly high school and some middle school.  I have a good background in design but am largely self-educated in acting theory through my own acting work.  So I'm looking for good online acting classes for teachers/adults that would help me continue to grow.  Asynchronous or synchronous would work.  I'm willing to spend some money.

Does anybody have suggestions for organizations/studios/resources that they have used that have been good?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    National Speech and Debate Association

• 2.  RE: suggestions for online acting classes?

Posted 04-01-2021 14:04
    Not necessarily acting focused, but my friend @Joshua Streeter does awesome workshops on devising and theatre pedagogy. I highly recommend -- you'll find tons of useful information and strategies for all of your classes. He's offering it via Zoom this year: https://www.jmu.edu/theatredance/about/secondary-institute.shtml

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 3.  RE: suggestions for online acting classes?

Posted 04-02-2021 09:54
    Wasn't he a presenter at the ETA conference last year? If so he was a fabulous presenter his sessions were the ones that I felt like I got so much from that I could directly apply to my teaching and I've shared details from his sessions with other colleagues as well. Thank you so much for posting this! I'm going to see if my principal will cover the registration for so I can attend virtually this summer.

• 4.  RE: suggestions for online acting classes?

Posted 04-03-2021 15:22
    Jolyne,

Yes, Josh presented at the 2020 Virtual International Thespian Festival. I took his Digital Storytelling notes straight into my advanced Theatre Production classroom. They gave us an excellent foundation for a show the kids wrote.

Nothing is better than taking a workshop that gives so many practical take aways delivered from a new and interesting approach.

Krista Carson Elhai
    Educational Theatre Foundation National Board of Trustees
    CA Educational Theatre Association, Past President
    CA Thespians Director of Membership & New Teacher Outreach
    Theatre Chair Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA