Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play ideas for return to our black box theatre

Posted 08-11-2021 08:54
    Hello,
    It seems we might be getting the go ahead to return to performances in our small micro theatre.  This is new and so I'm now racking my brain for ideas on plays to do.  I have 15 students in my advanced group who are all eager to get back onstage.  I'm looking for a drama with a cast of 12 - 15 and I have 11 females and 4 males.  Any help with ideas to broaden my search is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    John Rowe
    Theatre Teacher, Advisor Washington Street Players
    Boise High School

• 2.  RE: Play ideas for return to our black box theatre

Posted 08-12-2021 07:35
    Kate Hamill's Sense and Sensibility would be great in a black box and is perfect for your numbers! I also really like Triangle by Laurie Brooks.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 3.  RE: Play ideas for return to our black box theatre

Posted 08-13-2021 07:37
    You have the perfect numbers for "Letters to Sala" by Arlene Hutton. There are plenty of low-tech solutions to the challenges of this play. It also offers great opportunities for your actors to do research. And it ties in beautifully with history department curriculum.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director (retired)
    He/Him/His
    Alexandria, VA

• 4.  RE: Play ideas for return to our black box theatre

Posted 08-14-2021 09:59

Letters to Sala, a Holocaust story with an ensemble cast, has exactly the cast size you need, with flexible casting that can shrink with doubling or expand with extras in the big scenes. There are speaking roles for about two dozen actors, some of which can be doubled. There are four nice roles for men (which can be played by fewer than four since they are never on stage together) and the men can also play soldiers and officers. There are major roles for women and I encourage theatres to use diverse casting that reflects their communities.

Thanks, Michael, for recommending Letters to Sala. Like you mentioned, the play has flexible staging. I first directed it at Sewanee using only two tables and six chairs, along with a bench and props and some projections. I've seen a number of beautiful sets, some realistic and others abstract and symbolic. 

Sala's daughter Ann Kirschner and I try to make ourselves available to chat online with casts and classes. Ann's book Sala's Gift is a great resource and there are other resources online at www.letterstosala.com 

Licensing Letters to Sala is available through DPS. I'm happy to email you (and anyone else) an updated version of the script, based on the Off-off-Broadway production. Email me at arlene@barrowgroup.org

all the best,
    Arlene Hutton

Arlene Hutton, playwright
    Letters to Sala
    I Dream Before I Take the Stand
    Kissed the Girls & Made Them Cry
    As It Is In Heaven
    Susie Sits Shiva (EdTA commission)

faculty, The Barrow Group, NYC
    arlene@barrowgroup.org

• 5.  RE: Play ideas for return to our black box theatre

Posted 08-12-2021 09:26
    Laramie Project? The casting and staging are both very flexible.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 6.  RE: Play ideas for return to our black box theatre

Posted 08-15-2021 08:19
    Radium Girls
    Women of Lockerbie

Jennifer Bryan
    Drama Instructor
    Florida Christian School

• 7.  RE: Play ideas for return to our black box theatre

Posted 08-15-2021 11:26
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.  We are reading Radium Girls starting Wednesday, followed by The Laramie Project.  I've ordered perusal copies of Sense and sensibility and Letters To Sala.

Thanks Arlene, for weighing in.  I will certainly take advantage of you as a resource should we choose that one.

John

John Rowe
    Theatre Teacher, Advisor Washington Street Players
    Boise High School

• 8.  RE: Play ideas for return to our black box theatre

Posted 08-16-2021 08:10
    12 Angry Jurors--can be any gender.  Perfect for an intimate space and a very simple setting.

Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    Chatham High School