Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for Black Issue Plays

Posted 09-04-2020 12:31
    I'm looking for full length plays about the Black experience to be performed by college students. I don't have access to many Black students. So plays with 2-3 African-American actors would be ideal. The number of white characters in the plays doesn't matter. I would appreciate all suggestions from anyone. Thank you.

--
    494 West 10th Avenue
    Apt. 405
    Eugene, OR 97401

(541) 300-9600

"When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him."   Bayard Rustin

• 2.  RE: Looking for Black Issue Plays

Posted 09-04-2020 13:31
    Fairview by Jackie Siblies Drury is brilliant and challenging in so many ways. For the cast you would need three black women, one black man, two white men and two white women.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Looking for Black Issue Plays

Posted 09-06-2020 17:11
    Thanks, Ken. I've come across that title before. I'll give it a read. Have a great year.

Stanley Coleman
    Eugene OR

• 4.  RE: Looking for Black Issue Plays

Posted 09-07-2020 03:24
    Mr Coleman

One of my favorite plays has to be Clybourne Park.
    Also, If you can find the rights to The Rolling Stone by Chris Urch, It is an amazing piece of work, but very much for a school that doesn't mind taking on a topic that most would shy away from.  
    Best of Luck!

Shirlee Idzakovich
    Costume Designer, NYC
    Costuming/ Fashion Editor
    Master Class, Professional Development,
    Guest Lecturer
    The Costumer's Education FB group
    Model Curriculum Framework Project EDTA, NEA/ National Theatre Standards
    Costumer.shirlee@yahoo.com
    Shirleezak@yahoo.com

• 5.  RE: Looking for Black Issue Plays

Posted 09-04-2020 14:36
    “Pipeline” by Dominique Morisseau
    3female and 3male
    Concord Theatrics - Samuel French

“Pipeline is an emotionally harrowing, ethically ambiguous drama that raises barbed questions about class race parental duty in the state of American education.”

I’ve seen this production staged and it’s is a modern fit for today’s climate.

---------------------------------
    Allan Meads
    Drama Director
    School District of Springfield Township
    Oreland PA
    ---------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Looking for Black Issue Plays

Posted 09-05-2020 18:10
    Hi Stanley! Yellowman (1 male, 1 female) deals with colorism within the African American culture: https://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=3103

Emily Howard
    Sacramento CA

• 7.  RE: Looking for Black Issue Plays

Posted 09-06-2020 11:27
    I highly recommend Michael Benjamin's "Blueprint to Freedom."  Here's a link to a YouTube video interview with the playwright and some snippets from the show:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dYfFUuhHU

Eric Marcus
    Making Gay History
    New York NY

• 8.  RE: Looking for Black Issue Plays

Posted 09-06-2020 08:35
    PASS OVER by Antoinette Nwandu is excellent, and requires only three actors, two black, one white. I have only seen it done with three male-identifying actors; I'm not sure how it would play with one or more female actors, or whether the playwright has taken a position on that issue. A Spike Lee filming of the play is available to stream.

Howard Sherman
    Arts Integrity Initiative
    New York NY

• 9.  RE: Looking for Black Issue Plays

Posted 09-06-2020 10:07
    Depending upon the skill of the actors and how comfortable you are with non-traditional and confrontational productions, I would highly recommend "We Are Proud to Present a Presentation About the Herero of Namibia, Formerly Known as Southwest Africa, From the German Südwestafrika, Between the Years 1884–1915 " by Jackie Sibblies Drury. I saw a production at Woolly Mammoth Theatre in Washington DC several years ago and it was brilliant. We talked about it for days after the show.