Open Forum

View Only

Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

• 1.  Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 04-29-2018 17:19
    Big tech questions
    Have any of you more adventurous school programs out there done Mary Zimmerman's METAMORPHOSIS and if so, how the heck did you do the pool of water? I know schools do it  but I can't imagine how. 
    If you did pull off the pool, do you have actual designs available as to how? I'd pay for clear working designs. 
    And if you did the show without the pool of water, how? Did it work? 
    I love the show and would like to produce it next year but I'm stumped as to how. 

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 2.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 04-30-2018 03:58

Many years ago we actually staged it our school swimming pool. 
    If you love Zimmerman's work, but don't want to tackle the pool...I suggest, "The Secret in the Wings".
    We staged it as our Fall production this year and it was one of the most interesting ensemble driven pieces I have done since 'Laramie Project'.

------------------------------
    Tom Schulz
    Singapore

• 3.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 04-30-2018 22:29
    Hi John

We produced Metamorphoses quite a few years ago at Northern Illinois University, and we built the pool.  Here is a link to some photos of the production.

We built a rectangular pool that was not very deep, although it was quite large.  It was performed in a proscenium house, so we put the audience on the stage in 3/4 round.

We calculated the structure we would need to contain the water, built and reinforced the pool walls, and purchased a heavy duty pool liner to contain the water.  Following the show each night, we would drop in an intake hose from a portable pool pump/filter/heater system and circulate the water until the next performance.  The water stayed clean and warm for the whole run.

Let me know if you need any further information :-).

All my best.

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois

• 4.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 04-30-2018 07:31
    We did it without the pool, and it worked fine. We had a baby pool (no water) for some scenes, we might have done a silver mirror or tray to reflect Narcissus, and we did a lot with blue fabric to mimic water. I probably have photos if you want to see anything.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 04-30-2018 08:11
    I got three 8 foot by 3 foot round cattle troughs. Total cost was $600. They were already light blue and plastic. We built platforms around them and sealed them with enamel paint. I got water repellent fabric for the costumes. The only pain was that we did the show in early November in Missouri. The kids drained the pools every day and then refilled them with HOT water so by the show it felt great. 

Oh, and I sold the troughs back to a farm for $100 each after the show. 

The show was gorgeous and the kids loved it! 

Douglas Erwin
    Ferguson MO

• 6.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 04-30-2018 09:06
    I'm in the same boat.  I really want to do this play, but am stumped on how to best make it work.

Amy Bussey
    Stuarts Draft VA

• 7.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 04-30-2018 10:13
    I've done this marvelous show at the HS where I taught, and yes, we built a pool: 
    Imagine four ladders (out of 2x4's) with wide rungs, on edge, touching each other so they make a square. 
    Surround it 4' away by four more ladders on edge, of the same "rung" distance.
    Frame the inner square inside with sheets of plywood. Frame the outer square outside with plywood.
    Join the two with plywood on top, to make a deck around which the actors can walk.
    Home Depot had a huge cheap roll of heavy plastic with which we lined the inner square (overlapping a few times).
    (We first added some "steps" so we had 3 depths of water...uh...18", 12" and 4"...something like that).
    We lined the bottom with all the bath mats Target had for sale that day.
    The weight of the water (it's concrete under our stage) holds the plastic liner tight against its walls.
    We filled the pool from our paint sink.  It was arctic until we turned on the hot water tank above our dressing rooms (that served the paint sink), then drained a tank's worth of water after each run, and refilled with hot water as late as possible, so the water became only tepid.
    We experimented a million ways to make the deck less slippery; I can't really recommend a great solution, but the show does include points where the deck gets mopped up, and the height of the water is critical to minimize spill but still serve the story.
    We drained the pool once with a couple of pumps (a long run to our loading dock) when we feared a leak -- it gave us a chance to rehearse some of the trickier in-water bits, to get the lighting right, without waterlogging our actors -- and during strike again, getting rid of the last inch of water by surrounding the liner and carrying it outside to dump.

It was quite the adventure. We rehearsed a few times in the local swimming pool, discovered which fabrics stayed opaque when wet, got show bathrobes instead of t-shirts, etc.
    For many many reasons, it's my favorite and best show I've ever done (in 35 years), and was our first big Cappies win, too, for Best Play and about eight other categories. 
    I'd go on and on, but you can get in touch (are you in my FB group, Theatre Teachers Conspiracy ?) if you'd like to talk about the show more.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 8.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 04-30-2018 12:12
    I have done Metamorphosis twice, both times with a pool. I asked a local pool builder to come out and help (volunteer) and it worked out great. If you have a parent(s) who is a contractor ask him/her if they will help oversee the building of the pool. It can be done without water, certainly, but the water adds so much depth (no pun intended).

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA

• 9.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 04-30-2018 22:57
    We did the pool just this last fall.  We actually did a ton of movement/devised theater work with the production.  In hindsight, I probably would have done it with just movement work.  However, the end result with the pool was also beautiful.  We do not have plans for the pool, but we used a pond liner--too of them, actually because I was so afraid it would leak on our stage.  The pool scared me too, but we seriously built it with regular 2x4's and it worked out great.  Don't let it overwhelm you.  The pond liner worked great and there wasn't a single leak.  We didn't use a pool heater, but we did use a pool cleaner for a backyard pool to keep anything from growing in it and gave it pool shock.  We only had ours filled for about one week.  

Here's a couple of images.  DSC02942 (2).jpg
    Google Docs remove preview
    DSC02942 (2).jpg
    View this on Google Docs >

DSC03072 (2).jpg
    Google Docs remove preview
    DSC03072 (2).jpg
    View this on Google Docs >

Tracy Caponigri
    Cottage Grove MN

• 10.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 05-01-2018 09:26
    We did a pool-less production in 2006. After seeing a production with a pool at another local high school the previous year, I found that, several weeks later, all that my students remembered about the show was the pool. So I bought a script and started to rethink it. We did it on a thrust, using masks, puppets, movement, and lots of cast-generated sounds. The only water that we used was a large bowl that some of the characters washed their hands in (in which Narcissus sees his reflection). It was incredibly well received, although there were some raised eyebrows at the Myrrha scene. I've attached a few pictures from the production, with dry actors!

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 11.  RE: Did you do the pool for Metamorphosis?

Posted 05-01-2018 09:32
    Michael's production looks and sounds conceptually like ours. We did lots of Viewpoints and Boal type movement work, and the actors created all the shapes, scenery, water, etc. We got permission to cut the Myrrah scene -- if that's something you're considering, just contact Mary Zimmerman through her agency, Bret Adams Ltd.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA