Open Forum

View Only

Should theatre entertain or educate?

• 1.  Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-22-2017 13:46

Hello Theatre Educators,

Warm wishes for a successful, productive and low stress school year!  I started teaching my college Theatre Methods class this past week.  I'm planning a discussion next week on the topic, Should theatre entertain or educate?  What are your thoughts, especially as this idea pertains to your theatre program, curriculum, butts in the seats for shows, budgets, and the list goes on and on?  Thank you for your thoughts and responses.

Warm Regards,

Russ

Russ Saxton
    Dixie State University
    225 South 700 East
    Saint George, UT 84770
    cell 435-632-9241

• 2.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-22-2017 14:34
    Great question. I think there is a lot of great theater that intentionally does both, and I believe that most good theater DOES teach, or at least make the audience think and reflect, whether that particular show is meant to or not.

If I had to choose one, and leave the other alone, I'd put priority on entertainment. If I want education without entertainment, I can find plenty of seminars, college courses, or YouTube documentaries that will fill the bill. 

Especially as theater is being neglected in the rise of digital-readily-available instant pop-culture entertainment, it's important (to me) that people see theater as a place to go and be entertained, not to be indoctrinated or to 'get some culture.'

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-22-2017 15:02
    Why should we have to choose? I believe that the purpose of theatre is to educate thorough entertainment. Theatre is to not only entertain the audience but make them reflect and actually think about important issues and open discussions between people. It is frequently considered "a safe method" of addressing issues that are controversial.

My department uses theatre to connect to the core subjects in school annually by including a main stage production that is either based in history or literature. My advanced kids also have a social awareness theme that is explored 4 times a year through a variety of one acts. Both types of shows increase our audience base and connect the general populace with important issues and/or events in a non-threatening (i.e. entertaining) manner.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 08:32
    I think most good theatre does both!  There is nothing wrong with doing fluff pieces like Millie or Spamalot, especially to fill seats and boost attendance,but plays that focus on history or literature can do that as well.  For the theatre student, just being part of a production is educational; and letting the audience know the skills that both cast and crew have learned is important.

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 5.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 07:01
    Good morning,

I feel that by finding quality material that challenges the student (educate) it will also entertain. It can do both. I do give some consideration to what will put butts in seats, but my first question is what will the material give to the student.  Sometimes it's not necessarily a "theatre" goal, but instead a lifetime goal (self-confidence, a challenge that perhaps the student didn't think he/she could attempt, or team-building, etc.)

I will say, I do not pick my shows and then try to put the students in them, I do it backwards.   I look at the students and pick the shows to challenge them.  When I do auditions, I usually have 3 to 6 shows in mind, I give students various types of readings, and then choose the shows.  My shows are curricular with extra-curricular students in the smaller roles (spear-carrier, towns person, etc).  But in my previous school, the shows were truly extra-curricular and even then I did it this way.  It threw the students for a bit, not knowing what show they were auditioning for, but after a year, they got it, and never questioned it again.

Holly

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 6.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 07:17
    Thanks for the idea. I will now be using this as a prompt in my IB Theatre class as well. I also believe both. The best entertainment should educate. But if I have to choose one, entertainment first. People have to WANT to see our work before they can be educated by it. I have to get them in the door. If a theatre company has a reputation for being entertaining and has an established audience, then they are in an excellent position to begin to perform shows which make their audience think and question.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 7.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 08:39

I love the question "Is theatre for entertainment or education," not because I choose one or the other, but because it helps students think about the effect that theatre has on audiences and participants.

Here is what Eric Bentley taught us about Bertolt Brecht. He said that Brecht came down squarely on the side of education, but that was because that was where his conscious focus was. He was constantly, in life and art, an entertaining person, and his writing and direction of plays was always very entertaining. So, even the most didactic of playwrights is full of both entertainment and education.

It's a false dichotomy. No one can educate if the class falls asleep from boredom. An entertainment with no educational content ("total fluff") rarely seems like a good use of time, and is forgotten almost at once.

The answer is "yes."

Nathan Rosen
    Baltimore MD

• 8.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 09:35
    Neither. I believe theatre is an art form and should give the audience an artistic experience. If you want to teach, give a lecture. Want to send a message, call Western Union (remember them?). Good art changes the way you think and the way you perceive the world. Good art (theatre) elevates you above the mundane world and gives you a glimpse of higher attainment. I can name plays that made me see the world in a different way and to realize that I could be, was, different. Anne Bogart lists "entertainment" as one of the purposes of theatre but she uses the French "divertissement" which I take to mean it diverts you from your normal life.

AP

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 9.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 09:54
    THANK YOU!  Your responses are brilliant.  I found this quote from Walt Disney in my research.  Interesting, obviously the man did something right.  Please continue the discussion with your thoughts.  Thanks, RussWalt Disney Quote

Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 10.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 13:41
    The simple answer is: yes.

However, I do not like approaching this using the term 'educate'. I believe that the purpose of theatre is to create experiences. The experience educates. The experience entertains.

That is why, for our students, the process of drama is more important than the product. It is in the ensemble of process, in the experience of auditioning and rehearsing, that they learn of the script, the themes, themselves.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Jacobsen
    Drama Teacher / Curriculum Coordinator

• 11.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 13:55

I echo the "Both" comments. I will add a partial caveat - what is your intent in producing it? I usually pick plays for my students that will challenge them - and I am usually more focused on what my students will get from the play than what an audience will think (one of my students once said after a production "I finally figured it out, you really don't give a Sh#! about them" - "them" being the audience). 

That said, there are years when my producing need is to fill our coffers so we can do our "arty" stuff or buy some much needed equipment. So then I try to find one that will be commercial AND challenge my actors. 

Good theatre does both. John Patrick Shanley said "Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that society needs to have done" which I find particularly inspiring. In my educational life I am bound by language & content restrictions, cast size (I like BIG casts with lots of opportunities for kids), technical restraints, some audience restraints (we do want folks to see it, otherwise why are we doing it?), and financial goals. 12 years ago I set up my own theatre company so that in the summer I can do small, balls to the wall, racy, opinionated, challenging work. Work that does those "unsafe" things. The balance is what keeps me sane. As an artist, I needed a place to do the things I could not do at school. I love both, even the "entertaining" plays where $$ are a larger part of the equation than usual, but theatre itself is so broad and all encompassing that if I had to do only one type of thing I would quit.

So an additional thread might be - how do you strike a balance? We wear many hats - educators, producers, directors, community members, artists - how do you find that balance? Do you focus on the educational content only? The entertainment content only? What then, about your own artistic vision?

Sorry, I rambled off topic, seems to plug into even broader questions for me.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 12.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 15:05
    I think I need clarification--or maybe I read the prompt wrong.  Are we choosing the script to educate the audience or the students who are creating the performance.  I was approaching the prompt as if the reference was to entertain the audience or educate the students in theatrical skills. Not to educate the audience (for whatever reason, i.e. history, diversity, etc.) although that is a valid goal as well.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 13.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-23-2017 22:19
    What a wonderful debatable question! This encourages a wide variety of responses with two specific options. If you are looking to cast a wider net, we could ask the question: What is the purpose of theatre?...What is it now? What was it 20 years ago? 100 years ago? On Broadway, in the classroom, in Japan or London? 
    Theatre could be much more than entertainment and/or education when we look at it from a global and historical perspective. Expanding the purpose and perspective could also increase attendance and gain support from the stakeholders in your program. Imagine all the possibilities!

Maren Oom Galarpe
    Director of Fine Arts
    Aliso Viejo CA

• 14.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-24-2017 09:28
    Over thirty years ago, I wrote an entire chapter on this subject for my MFA thesis. My conclusion was that the point was moot. Theatre, whether you are approaching it as simple entertainment, or didactically, by its nature, cannot avoid "teaching." The lessons are diverse and may only be, "Dear God, I don't ever want to see that again." (Blood Brothers in London a couple of decades ago.), or "That's incredible and how did they do that." (Jesus Christ, Superstar at the Kennedy Center about 40 years ago. - Still trying to figure that one out.), to "What's my understanding and place with God?" (Agnes of God when I directed it. I cried at every performance (and rehearsal!) of the last scene.).

If nothing else, the Art of Theatre, cannot avoid teaching us the good, bad, funny, awful, reflective, empathetic, vicious, etc. nature of our own humanity. You might choose a show to educate. You might choose a show simply because you like it and you think it entertains and puts butts in the seats, but I don't believe you can avoid "teaching" your audience something.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA

• 15.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-24-2017 16:48
    This is my first day as a member of this forum, and I am happy to find a discussion on a topic that I feel quite strongly about.  As a theatre educator, I have come to the conclusion that--in the setting of a school or youth program--the primary  purpose of theatre is to educate.  We, as director/teachers, should not be interested in educating the audience, but the performers.  It's a simple matter of math.  Compare the amount of time an actor or crew spends engaged with a play to how long an audience member does.  In my productions, I list "Putting on a great performance" as our third priority, behind 1. Growing in some way, and 2. Having fun.  The kids should learn something because why do anything if you aren't going to grow from it, and they should enjoy themselves because it is a "play," after all.  The bulk of their memories will be from the rehearsal process, not performances.  The audience is the second most important group in the equation, and their "needs" should not supersede that of the first, the company.
          I have seen companies who struggle first to put on a great production, but leave the soul of the actors behind.  These directors militantly "teach" the tools of projection and characterization, but ignore the more important skills of collaboration, creative expression, and taking chances.  I have also seen young theatre teachers who feel the need to "push the envelope," with their choice of scripts.  I maintain that young actors can grow as performers and as people--which is really the ultimate goal of any teacher--just as well by performing "Guys and Dolls" as they could with "Avenue Q, High School Edition."
       Outside of educational theatre, I agree with many of the other posts.  Good theatre can educate while entertaining, just like good teachers do.

Mark Phillips

• 16.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-25-2017 08:20
    Everyone else has said in one way or another what I would say, so I'll keep my response short and simple.

In our Repertory Program, we have a simple, not very original motto: Entertain-Educate-Inspire.

If our work (in class, extra-curricular events, outreach programs, etc.) doesn't at least attempt all three of these, we're wasting our time.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 17.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-25-2017 08:43
    What a great discussion!  

I align myself more with the "yes" response.  When I pick a season, I first look at what my talent pool is, and what we have done the past couple of years.  I want those who participate for 4 years to have a wide range of experiences with literature.  But I also look at what they are capable of and what will challenge them.  And of course, it has to be entertaining to them!  Not every group will love doing The Crucible!

But then I look at my community.  They are a tad more conservative, and used to plays that don't challenge at all.  I am slowly pushing that envelope this year with The Sequence and You Can't Take it With You (the sex references in the latter, and the Giver type feel of the former).  Because I am self-funded, I have to appeal in part to my audience.  But my long term hope is that we create experiences that both entertain and educate.  And both can be done in the same production, for the most part.

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 18.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-25-2017 08:47

Brilliant!  

Every single post in this thread is insightful, passionate, and inspiring.  
    Thank you for taking the time to respond!!
    Love, "Entertain-Educate-Inspire" as my Theatre methods students are writing Theatre Mission Statements in two weeks.  What a great writing prompt.  
    You still have time to weigh in with your thoughts before my class on Monday.  
    Have a wonderful, restful weekend.
    Thanks again,
    Russ

Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 19.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-27-2017 12:55
    I'm with those who feel that neither "entertain" nor "educate" quite fits.

I like the idea that theatre inspires the audience to think, feel and question!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 20.  RE: Should theatre entertain or educate?

Posted 08-28-2017 11:12
    Theater should do whatever you want it to do: entertain, educate, enrage, offend, comfort, condemn, enlighten...And if you find the magic play, it can do all of those things and more.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance