Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Technical Theatre Activities for Middle Schoolers

Posted 03-02-2018 10:24
    Hi Everyone! I am currently in the process of making a proposal to my administration to add a technical theatre class to our program at my school, and I am trying to come up with a syllabus that outlines and details the various activities and skills that can be practiced in this class. Being  a middle school, our class, obviously, won't be as extensive as the high school level is, but I feel there are things I can do to introduce these students to technical theatre. We have a lot of students who are interested in learning this, but my knowledge is limited in what to teach. In my intro class, I teach costume and set design, but we all know that technical theatre involves much more than just that. Thanks for any and all advice!

------------------------------
    Gina Barber
    Theatre Director
    North Port, FL

• 2.  RE: Technical Theatre Activities for Middle Schoolers

Posted 03-02-2018 12:39
    I'm sorry if this sounds negative, but, as you said, tech theatre involves a lot of different areas. My first question to you, before I could offer any suggestions, would be why you want to do this course, i.e., what do you hope to accomplish by doing it in a middle school?

It's really easy to say, for instance, teach them how to build a flat. That's fine, but not all sets require flats, and a lot of schools and community theatres already have a stock of flats to pull from.

Or teach them how to use tools. More and more places will not allow students to use power tools.

Or teach them how to hang lights. That's fine too, but you need a light plot before you hang lights. And more and more schools do not allow students on ladders.

One of the sad things I've noticed over the years (thirty-five and counting) is that tech theatre subjects are not taught the same way everywhere: it all depends on where the teacher went to school and where his or her teacher went to school. I have seen a lot of kids come out of a "tech theatre" program in a college and go to work in a real scene shop, and realize that things are done totally differently. In one particularly sad case, two of them had literally no clue. For them, it was total culture shock.

I really believe that, if you can clarify your intentions, you will receive more useful answers.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: Technical Theatre Activities for Middle Schoolers

Posted 03-03-2018 05:17
    I currently teach Tech theater as part of our middle school art rotation. I think what I have learned is that I need to approach it in a way that is fun and active.  The first time I thought middle schoolers I was cautious with them around power tools but I still let them do it. Now honestly I wouldn't trust them at all. Their energy and focus just isn't safe enough for metro feel comfortable with it. 

That being said said there are many other aspects you can focus on.  In terms of sound design we start with the idea of what sound is and how to use it then we play sound fx bingo. I then have them learn a little about staging (because for some reason they don't get acting they just get Tech theater) and I have them create a 1 minute scupper that includes sounds that they have to perform.

i also show them the basics of lighting. Not using instruments but usng flashlights, gels and artist wooden pose able models. We talk about color and mood and how color makes us feel different things. They are then tasked to come up with 4 different scenes with the posable models and gel colors. 

We will I'll then go a little into the idea of marketing a show and they have to design and draw a show poster. 

I might depending on the age the age and numbers ply with painting and just learning to base coat something but only certain ages get that. 

so really I just find the basics of everything and not worry about where they will be going to college. It's middle school. Art is an escape from their everyday classes at that point. It might entice them to try it out in the future but I think it needs to be more about keeping their interest than anything. Now if there if a show attached to it that is where I found it easier to keep their attention on actual building and run crew and I gained a lot of "lifers" in my program because of it.but as a stand alone program just introductions to the basic theories is all I feel you can get away with. And of course 6th gradersare goig to be able to handle way less detail than the 8th graders.  But I think shen you get even a few enthusiastic students it makes it worth the effort.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 4.  RE: Technical Theatre Activities for Middle Schoolers

Posted 03-03-2018 09:00
    I like the ideas of lighting and sound design.  And, while I teach high school, I would think you could teach a lot of technical theater in middle school class and it's really up to you and what you want to accomplish-- set design, lighting design, sound design, stage management, calling and executing cues, theater safety, basic tools identification, budgets, how to work on a team where members have different assignments but one goal, paper tech, tech meetings, etc.  I think there is a lot you could teach.

For example, in terms of lighting design, one could create a set of PAR 16's with a simple dimmer and board to light models the students have made previously, even creating a large 1/2 inch or 1 inch model of a local theater and using the PAR's to work with light in the model.  There are also a few virtual lighting programs out there were students could see their designs play out in real time virtually.

Sounds fun

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Technical Theatre Activities for Middle Schoolers

Posted 03-04-2018 07:18
    I do all of what you do. I also include costume design. I give them croquis and teach them about period research, a little about shape and shading and then they design. This is also great, because they can sketch, while I work with smaller groups on lights, etc. My students also design a set and do a set rendering.
    I usually assign each student a show, and then each part of the unit, they design for "their show".

• 6.  RE: Technical Theatre Activities for Middle Schoolers

Posted 03-03-2018 16:19

Not negative, practical. In other words "design backwards." As well as 'what do you hope to accomplish', what facility and resources do you have available to you. For instance, you can teach the theory of light all you want, but if you don't have a lighting system, then the students can't apply it to the real life situation of a play. You can teach flat building and paint texturing techniques, but what if you have nowhere to build sets? You can teach about sound waves and feedback theory, but what if you have no mics and no sound board for the students to experience what that's all about in reality. Look at what results you want your students to be able to do and what equipment you have available that you want them to learn about , then start working backwards from there. 

The same thing happens when schools decide to build or remodel a theatre. It's like they say 'we want to make a cake'. And then they are provided with 6 oz.s flour, 2 lb.s of sugar, 1 egg, 3 pints of vanilla, a teaspoon of oil, 12 bars of cooking chocolate (because who doesn't like chocolate), and just in case you wanted cherry icing, use the sugar you already have and here's 3 drops of cherry extract. Yes, these are all the ingredients with which to make a cake, but nobody asked the people who are going to make the cake exactly what type of cake they were going to make, which would not only determine which ingredients are needed, but also how much of each ingredient. We see this a lot particularly in lighting systems spec'd. No one has planned a rep plot ahead of time specific to the space, no one has checked whether there is someone on staff who is knowledgeable about tech in order to run LED instruments or not. So a random lighting package is provided that isn't useful for the space, and no one knows how to operate. It's hard to advise as to what should be in your curriculum for the same reasons – we know you want to make a cake, but first we need to know what type of cake, and what supplies do you currently have in order to make it. 

So my point here being, George is quite correct, not negative – plan backwards. Your admin is more likely to be in agreement if, like Dan and Michael say, you make the activities age appropriate, make the activities meaningful in regards to what equipment and supplies you already have in your facility, and make them apply to real life – will what they're learning be able to be translated into what needs doing towards the success of your school plays (admin only tend to appreciate the outcome of tech theatre, not the process). 

This all said, I've worked with a lot of middle school students (some of whom have gone on to be 'lifers' in the entertainment industry), and while yes, they are a bit more scatterbrained than high school students, come opening night and the whole show is being run by them…well, the proof is in the pudding (or the cake).

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

Next School Theatre Management online course for Drama Teachers: Spring Session closed. Summer session starts June 4th.

NEW SERVICE: REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! (Can be accomplished remotely if you're not in the Boulder/Denver area.)

Author of "High School Theatre Lighting for Architects; designing backwards" and "a little LIGHT science" and several more books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 7.  RE: Technical Theatre Activities for Middle Schoolers

Posted 03-15-2018 12:17
    I teach a middle school tech theater class. For me, my students know nothing about behind the scenes before they come to me so I teach very basic things. 

Into to tech theater-when stages came into play, from Greek-Modern times
    Positions in theater-from producer to deck electrician
    Basic Theater-Position of stage, names of pieces on stage (legs, wings etc), Types of theaters, types of stages
    Scenic Design-what they do
    Lighting Design
    Costume Design
    Sound Design
    With each of the Designers i do a brief introduction and then a small design project to give them an idea. 

They help a little with the shows-painting and easier things. 

They are required to be on the running crew for the school play. 

Alison Dingle
    Theater Teacher
    Adelson Educational Campus
    Las Vegas NV