Open Forum

View Only

3 Woman Plays

• 1.  3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-01-2018 14:06
    We've got a high school advanced production class of three young women coming up this year and are trying to figure out a show for them to tackle.  I'm looking for help brainstorming an initial list.  

So, what are shows you've done or read that could be cast with three women? They're all good and up for a challenge. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Rob Kimbro
    Director of Fine Arts
    Duchesne Academy
    HoustonTX

• 2.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-02-2018 07:17

Look at The Crimson Thread by Mary Hanes.
    The show how is actually written for two women , but I did it with three. The show is three acts and traces female relationships over three generations, starting at the turn of the last century. Each girl had two acts instead of all three.it starts with two sisters, in Ireland during the poato famine, one has the courage to leave, looking for a better life, knowing she will never probably see the sister and the sisters unborn child, ever again. Act two is the two sister's daughters(cousins) surviving in a New England fishing community, and the third act is the daughters of one of the cousins dealing with their difficulties as one sister has decided to live the life of a suffragette. 

I love over the show, it is difficult, and the memorization is more than challenging, but if you have some dedicated girls, it is wonderful.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 3.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-02-2018 08:33
    Have you looked at Vanities by Jack Heifner?

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-03-2018 04:08
    Take a look at On The Verge by Eric Overmeyer - Broadway Play Publishing,

There's a fourth character that plays a series of bit parts.

Vanities and Eleemosynary are great, too.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher, Retired
    Carmichael, CA

• 5.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-02-2018 10:10
    Three Tall Women, Eleemosynary is one of my favorites.
    Eleemosynary is a 1985 multi act play by Lee Blessing. It follows the relationships between three generations of women. The word "eleemosynary" itself plays a significant part in the plot.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 6.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-02-2018 11:42
    Eleemosynary  is great! I remember it having a slow build, but it quickly becomes wonderful - it would be a great challenge for the girls.

An out of the box suggestion: The Last Nickel by Jane Shepard. It's for two women and puppets. this could work if one of the girls isn't as strong or doesn't want as large a part. you would probably need a fourth person to handle the puppets - there are two (well, three, but only two appear at a time).

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 7.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-02-2018 13:46
    Depending upon how advanced they are and how open your school is to controversial material, I would recommend "Agnes of God" by John Peilmeier.  Years ago, I had a class of two senior girls who wanted to tackle something challenging. I drafted a very capable junior and we worked on the play. It provides tremendous opportunities for the actors and director.

Michael Bergman

"Great theatre- and music, literature, art, film, even acting- works to expand our hearts, minds, and souls. It changes us- slowly, subtly, and incrementally, to be sure, and sometimes that change is difficult to discern. But I believe it's there. Each moment of connecting with something outside of and larger and better than ourselves is a tiny baby step of progress." - Steven Culp

• 8.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-02-2018 18:34
    Eleemosonary by Lee Blessing.  A really interesting piece for three women. Dramatists Play Service carries it.  

THE STORY: Staged with utmost simplicity, using platforms and a few props, the play probes into the delicate relationship of three singular women: the grandmother, Dorothea, who has sought to assert her independence through strong-willed eccentricity; her brilliant daughter, Artie (Artemis), who has fled the stifling domination of her mother; and Artie's daughter, Echo, a child of exceptional intellect-and sensitivity-whom Artie has abandoned to an upbringing by Dorothea. As the play begins, Dorothea has suffered a stroke, and while Echo has reestablished contact with her mother, it is only through extended telephone conversations, during which real issues are skirted and their talk is mostly about the precocious Echo's single-minded domination of a national spelling contest. But, in the end, after Dorothea's death, both Artie and Echo come to accept their mutual need and summon the courage to try, at last, to build a life together-despite the risks and terrors that this holds for both of them after so many years of alienation and estrangement.

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Kentucky Thespians
    Owensboro KY

• 9.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-03-2018 12:47
    The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds by Paul Zindel gives three actresses an excellent opportunity to explore character.  There are actually 5 women in the cast but perhaps it could work for your needs.  I love this play.

Kristin Duerr
    Director of Drama
    Notre Dame Academy
    Los Angeles CA

• 10.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-10-2018 10:43
    I recently read "The Drowning Girls" by Beth Graham,  Charlie Tomlinson, and Daniela Vlaskalic. It's dark, so not for everyone, but I really liked it. I think it would be a fantastic piece to work on with the right group.

Here is a description from the publisher:

"Bessie, Alice, and Margaret have two things in common: they are married to George Joseph Smith, and they are dead. Surfacing from the bathtubs they were drowned in, the three breathless brides gather evidence against their womanizing, murderous husband by reliving the shocking events leading up to their deaths. Reflecting on the misconceptions of love, married life, and the not-so-happily ever after, The Drowning Girls is both a breathtaking fantasia and a social critique, full of rich images, a myriad of characters, and lyrical language."

Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Director
    Fort Stockton, TX

• 11.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-10-2018 10:54
    Do you mean ONLY three women, or FEATURING three women?

If it's only, 'Night Mother is great for two of them, if you're willing to split them up.

If it's featuring, you could go classic with Chekhov's Three Sisters, or contemporary-comedic with one of many plays by Jessie Jones, Nicholas Hope, and Jamie Wooten. I recommend The Red Velvet Cake War.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 12.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-12-2018 08:48
    Hi, Josh.  Good to hear from you.

All-girls school, but we sometimes bring in outside artists for male roles.  So ONLY three women would be ideal, but 1-2 men isn't a deal-breaker, as long as the play isn't centered on those men. It's all too easy to find scripts with majority female casts where all the women are essentially there to tell the story of the one dude.  

Thanks to everyone.  I'm not actually directing this one, but helping a colleague cast a wider net, and these suggestions do that. Eleemosonary is definitely an option and I'm working my way through the others.  Drowning Girls I know from a production here a few years back.  A remarkable show but probably not a fit for this group.  I'm also reading Lauren Gunderson's Emilie (3W 2M) (for those who are following looking for ideas).

Rob Kimbro
    Director of Fine Arts
    Duchesne Academy
    HoustonTX

• 13.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-13-2018 14:20
    These are some selections that may be a little more 'mature,' but I loved reading them and there are some distinct possibilities (the descriptions were cribbed from descriptions online)

Three females only:

Halley Feiffer, 'How To Make Friends and Then Kill Them'
    3w, bleak 
    "Left to their own devices by their alcoholic mother, Ada and Sam cultivate an insular world into which they soon draw a third wheel - a pockmarked, limping wallflower named Dorrie. In the years spanning childhood to young adulthood, these three troubled girls learn to lean on each other completely, finding ways to fill each other up and to tear each other down. But when a horrible accident turns their reality upside down, they find they must decide whether they will continue to foster their familiar, codependent cycle, or whether they will break free, with or without each other's aid."

Catherine Trieschmann, 'Crooked'
    3f, (14, 40,  16)
    Dramatic Comedy / 3f Fourteen year old Laney arrives in Oxford, Mississippi with a twisted back, a mother in crisis and a burning desire to be writer. When she befriends Maribel Purdy, a fervent believer in the power of Jesus Christ to save her from the humiliations of high school, Laney embarks on a hilarious spiritual and sexual journey that challenges her mother's secular worldview and threatens to tear their fragile relationship apart.

other possibilities:

Sadie Hasler, 'Pramkicker' or 'Fran & Leni'
    British playwright, so very salty language. 'Pramkicker' is a 2 hander, so that might count it out, and Fran & Leni is 2 central characters, plus a definite male, and an 'interviewer.' They're pretty raw but also hysterically funny. 
    Descriptions:
    Pramkicker:

"I am the Edith fucking Piaf of the empty womb. Je ne regrettay fucking rien.

Jude has always known she doesn't want kids. Her sister Susie isn't sure if her ovaries are twingeing or if she just needs a wee.

One day, in a café full of 'yummy mummies', Jude loses the plot and kicks a pram. Then gets arrested. Then gets sent to anger management. Susie goes along for the ride and uses the opportunity to confess a secret.

This funny and touching play premiered at the Brighton Fringe Festival, before a critically acclaimed run at the Edinburgh International Festival Fringe, 2015. An unflinching look at what it means to be a modern woman, this programme text was published to coincide with a national tour in spring 2016."

Fran & Leni

I was the punk. I was born punk. But she was my rock. The only one I ever had.

1976. Fran and Leni meet in a North London comp.

Three years later they are The Rips.

Girls with guitars, bored of playing nice. Music, sex, fishnets, tits and spitting. A two-girl escape from everything sugar and spice.

Fran & Leni is punchy two-hander about punk rock and life-long friendship from the writer of the critically acclaimed Pramkicker. This edition was published to coincide with the play's production at Assembly, George Square, during the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, after its world premiere at Latitude Festival 2016."

Pramkicker has played in Washington, DC, but I'd imagine that the subject matter/language might make it out of reach for high school audiences. Read them for yourself, though, because they're awesome.

Sarah Ruhl, 'Dead Man's Cell Phone'
    "An incessantly ringing cell phone in a quiet caf. A stranger at the next table who has had enough. And a dead man - with a lot of loose ends. So begins Dead Man's Cell Phone, a wildly imaginative new comedy by playwright Sarah Ruhl, recipient of a MacArthur ''Genius'' Grant and Pulitzer Prize finalist for her play The Clean House. A work about how we memorialize the dead - and how that remembering changes us - it is the odyssey of a woman forced to confront her own assumptions about morality, redemption, and the need to connect in a technologically obsessed world."
    Has 
    possibilities, there are at least 3 strong female roles here, plus the dead man, Gordon, and his brother. Very arch, and with a difficult strain of humor that's proved really hard for a lot of my students to find, but when they find the sense of it, it is incredible to watch. 

Ruby Rae Spiegel, 'Dry Land'
    3F, 2M
    Mostly centers around the 3 female parts, and there's apparently a 'live abortion,' so again, it might be difficult to swing for a high school audience, though the characters are high schoolers.
    "THE STORY: Ester is a swimmer trying to stay afloat. Amy is curled up on the locker room floor. DRY LAND is a play about abortion, female friendship, and resiliency, and what happens in one high school locker room after everybody's left."
    Very powerful, and funny dark, and pretty bleak. Definitely a challenging text. 

Hope this helps and doesn't add too many more choices on your slate! Good luck in finding the right piece. 

Phillip Goodchild
    Chapter Director, Ontario Thespians

Etobicoke ON

• 14.  RE: 3 Woman Plays

Posted 08-15-2018 10:42
    Interestingly, the same company in Houston that did Drowning Girls has also done Dead Man's Cell Phone (which I directed) and Dry Land. All great scripts.  And I agree with you about the humor in DMCP - I think the Mom at the funeral is hysterical but it is challenging to land that speech. The others you mention are new to me and I'll check them out.  

Thanks again to everyone. This is such a great resource.

Rob Kimbro
    Director of Fine Arts
    Duchesne Academy
    HoustonTX