Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sherlock Holmes with female leads?

Posted 11-17-2021 10:07
    Has anyone had any success with a version of Sherlock Holmes using female Leads? Any good scripts out there? I would prefer my girls not have to pretend to be boys. That grows tiresome with SO many girls in my program and only a handful of boys. Thanks for any advice!--
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching

• 2.  RE: Sherlock Holmes with female leads?

Posted 11-18-2021 07:18
    If you have some guys and are up to the challenge, I strongly suggest you read Miss Holmes (dramaticpublishing.com). It's on my short list, but I've been really light on guys for the last few years, so I haven't been able to attempt it. If you want something campier and more melodramatic, you may want to read The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Comic Thriller Starring Shirley Holmes and Jennie Watson (dramaticpublishing.com).

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA

• 3.  RE: Sherlock Holmes with female leads?

Posted 11-18-2021 11:41
    Aloha Lisa,

YES! I directed a production of Ken Ludwig's The Hound of the Baskervilles - a Sherlock Holmes Mystery with females playing Holmes and Watson. They were the best people for the roles and they were fantastic. This is a really fun script written for 5 actors to play every character. It's a lot of fun and I think it can be expanded to as many as you'd like to cast.

Best wishes!
    -Rob

• 4.  RE: Sherlock Holmes with female leads?

Posted 11-26-2021 12:07
    I agree with "The Hound of the Baskervilles".  I just saw a production of it at a community college using a females as Holmes and I absolutely loved how it was portrayed!   I would also like to find some other Holmes scripts that people enjoy.  My students are really into the mystery play and I want to do something other than "Clue".

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Pasadena Memorial High School
    Pasadena, Texas