Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Michigan Certification

Posted 02-06-2014 11:37
    Good morning everyone, 

I am originally from Michigan, received my BA in Design/Tech Theatre from WMU and then after a few years of freelance work decided that I really enjoyed teaching. At the time (2005) I was told that I could not be certified in Michigan as a Drama teacher and would have to go back to school essentially to get a second BA degree. 

I instead went to England and interned with the RSC and then moved to Colorado where I got my MA in Theatre Ed and secondary license in Drama and English Language Arts (and am also considered HQ in Social Studies). I had no intention of moving back to Michigan, but as fate would have it, my new husband was just accepted to the Teach For America program and was assigned to teach elementary school in Detroit. 

At the suggestion of some of my colleagues, I'm here to see if anyone can help me figure out how to transfer my Colorado certification to Michigan. I called the MDE and they said that they still don't certify Drama teachers in the state of Michigan and that my "Language Arts" certification is only good for middle school. Trying to fill out the application there's not even a spot for me to mention that I'm certified in Theatre. They told me to "just apply for whatever you want to be endorsed in and we'll review it" but I'm not sure what would transfer. As much as I would love to teach high school English, I'd rather be teaching theatre, speech, and design (if I can find a place that would support a tech theatre class). 

Any thoughts or suggestions? 
    Thank you! 

-------------------------------------------
    Corey Josephson

• 2.  RE:Michigan Certification

Posted 02-06-2014 12:45
    Corey,

You're correct that Michigan doesn't have a Theatre cert. I know my cert. was language arts and speech. I was told the speech cert was what I needed after earning my BA in Theatre. I've been teaching drama for 12 years, so I'm assuming it's that magic speech cert that you'll need.

Good luck!

Sean Kifer

• 3.  RE:Michigan Certification

Posted 02-07-2014 09:55

Pennsylvania also does not recognize Theatre as an area of certification.  It is lumped into "Communications" for certification.  I am a Spanish teacher by day, theatre person by night.... but in order to take over the  Theatre Arts class that was formerly taught by a member of the English department, I had to be certified.  Fortunately, I was able to take the Praxis exam in Communications, which allowed me to add that area to my teaching certificate.

There are some states that have parallel teaching agreements (if you are certified in state A, it would automatically transfer to state B) - but Pennsylvania doesn't recognize all other states, either. You may want to see if something similar occurs in Michigan, even if it means sitting for a Praxis exam.

I was fortunate that my local university is a Praxis testing site - so it was fairly easy to do.  I listed my state department of education as a test score recipient as well.  Once I received my scores, I had to pay an additional fee to the PA Dept of Ed for an "Add-On Certification" fee. While there is some expense involved - an exam fee and certification fee is much less than even one graduate class.

Good luck!
    Melissa Mintzer

• 4.  RE:Michigan Certification

Posted 02-07-2014 13:19
    Hi Corey,

The state of Michigan does not have a certification for "theatre" the closest is speech BD which requires some classes in speech, interpersonal communication and methods course in speech.

You may find all of this shocking and we here in Michigan have been trying for a while to get this changed. 

Message me if you need more information.

Anne-marie Roberts
    Theatre Director
    Ann Arbor Public Schools

• 5.  RE:Michigan Certification

Posted 02-07-2014 15:08
    Hi Corey,

You might try getting with one of the teacher certification colleges  to see what you'd need to do get a valid teaching certificate in Michigan and/or to add a BD (Speech) endorsement to that certification.  I've gotten additional endorsements from Saginaw Valley State University.  I like their college of ed. SVSU might be a bit of a haul for you....so maybe try EMU.

It also comes down to where the district has the theatre classes...are they classified as part of the English Department...if so, then "highly qualified" might require that you have an English endorsement.  If they are part of the Fine Arts Department, then they have a bit more leeway in how they fill the job (I think).

I had a secondary certificate with a BD endorsement (Speech with a theatre concentration) but with the highly qualified stuff came along and the speech and  drama classes where put into the English Department, I would have need an English endorsement to take over those classes.

Lynda Gibson

• 6.  RE:Michigan Certification

Posted 02-08-2014 10:29
    Actually Michigan does have a theatre arts certification.  I have a theatre arts/communications certification from Eastern Michigan University that I received in 2004.  I taught theatre for 2 years in Michigan and now teach it in Washington.  Unless something has changed in the last 10 years I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying that Michigan doesn't have it because I have one.

Michelle Lewis

• 7.  RE:Michigan Certification

Posted 02-09-2014 08:00
      |   view attached
    There is some more info on the MDE website that may help.

https://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140-6530_5683_14795-17063--,00.html

I've attached a PDF file that the MDE put out that lists the various endorsements, their code and the classes someone with that endorsement could teach.

Interestingly enough, on page 3 with the speech endorsement, they indicate that you do not need any special endorsement to teach theatre class.
    " A specific endorsement is not needed to teach theatre/performance classes.  School districts are free to assign any faculty to these classes that provide evidence of professional development related to theatre; as long as they hold a certificate for the grade levels the classes are offered.  A teacher with an elementary certificate can teach these introductory classes in grades K-8.  Teachers with a music, fine arts, speech, English or language arts endorsement AND have demonstrated HQ status for those endorsement areas, may be considered HQ to teach a theatre/performance class. "

Further down on page 20, there is a "Fine Arts" endorsement that does include theatre...so, I stand corrected....slightly, since way back when I received my secondary endorsement in 1993, I took the speech subject matter content test which included theatre.  I believe I was advised to take that because it gave me more options in what I could types of jobs I could apply for.  If you just had the "Fine Arts" endorsement, it doesn't really give you much....according to the state, anyway.
    Here is where you can find the original file in Word format.
    https://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140-6530_5683_14795-165860--,00.html

Lynda Gibson
    Jr. Troupe 88305

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Classes_Taught_396034_7.pdf   2.24 MB 1 version

• 8.  RE:Michigan Certification

Posted 02-09-2014 13:45
    Great info Lynda!