Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Need tech theatre ideas

Posted 09-10-2014 06:30
    I 'm looking for tech theatre ideas for my very large theatre class - 29 students - and a mix of no experience to fairly experienced. I have no text book and I'm returning to teaching theatre after being away from it for 25 years. I'm looking for projects that would keep everyone involved but I can still supervise on my own. ------------------------------------------- Janet Rhoads Drama Teacher Andale KS -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Need tech theatre ideas

Posted 09-10-2014 11:36
    I have five tech theatre classes this year of 25-32.  We build school sets.  However, when I first started, we didn't have money or tools.  We did a transfer project of famous posters or characters to help decorate the room.  That took yard sticks, pencils, big erasers, and markers.

We are now more accomplished and build two-story sets!

This year I had many beginners.  We spent a week with shop safety videos I found on youtube and learning to safely use tools in the shop.  I put them into groups of four to build cubes with 2 x 4 we ripped on the table saw and scrap lauan.  We kept one side open and use the cubes for storage units, like cubby holes.  That was a great way for me to see who leads and who follows and for all to use tools.

Also, I have kids complete a survey that gives a good idea of who can train others and become the lead builders.

We have also build work tables for the shop.

We have also made the basics we always need for the stage:  a self-standing door, self-standing walls, and a director's table that leans on the backs of the auditorium chairs.

-------------------------------------------
    Carol Knarr Gebert
    Portland IN

• 3.  RE: Need tech theatre ideas

Posted 09-10-2014 16:53
    Do you plan to do a costuming unit? I have my kids work on some basics (running stitch, whip stitch, 1/2 back stitch, snaps, buttons, etc). I also have them do a unit on period costuming. Each kid (or group of kids) receives a common time period and they have to research on the costume and present it to the rest of the class. The assignment requires they look at undergarments, clothing, footwear, hairstyle, make-up (as needed), and accessories. They have to have some sort of visual in their presentation and have to show at least 2 different classes from the time period.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Need tech theatre ideas

Posted 09-11-2014 07:24
    Hi,

It sounds like you have made a good start with the building and tool use. You may wish to consider sections on lighting, rigging and scenic painting. Assuming you have a theatre with counterweight rigging, teaching the students the correct (and safe) way to utilize the rigging makes sense. Also, lighting has so many potential activities ranging from how to hang lights, understanding the different types and their functions, color, design elements, programming the lightboard, etc. If doing lighting, I would still start with rigging so lights can be safely hung.

Hope this helps,

Dana 

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 5.  RE: Need tech theatre ideas

Posted 09-11-2014 19:32
    One of the goals of my tech class, in addition to learning about construction and theatrical design, is to create art from uncommon items, influencing students to observe their surroundings.  So, here are a few non-tool oriented projects that are safe and effective with large classes:

1) We just completed a spray paint stencil unit, inspired by graffiti street art.  Students cut their own stencils, painted backgrounds, and then put the stencil on top of it.  There are lots of tutorials on youtube, and many potential outcomes.  They're also learning about color theory, mixing, teamwork, etc.

2) One of my favorites is duct tape design.  A roll of duct tape is on their required materials list at the beginning of the year.  The first day, I teach everyone how to make a duct tape bow tie.  Then, they can make anything they want as long as it's substantial (so no individual flowers, but perhaps a bouquet of duct tape flowers in a duct tape vase).  They research images and templates if they want, make a colored rendering of their design, use colored duct tape swatches, and then create their design.  So they're going through the entire costume design process too :)

3) To introduce the importance of design with telling stories onstage, I gather a variety of props, costumes, and pictures of makeup designs.  In groups, students are randomly assigned one of each, and make stories of a character who incorporates all three - the more different the items are, the more interesting the stories become.

4) For costumes, students choose a specific time period or cultural tradition.  Then they collaborate on 1-2 designs inspired by their research, make colored renderings, and build the costumes using only tape and recycled materials they bring in: cereal boxes, aluminum foil, shopping bags, etc.

One of the biggest projects of the year, lasting 3 months, is studying, researching, designing, and then creating pieces for our musical.  I design the main pieces of the set, and then choose specific items that cater to the students' interests and strengths, which we will collaborate on.  So there are opportunities in construction, painting, costumes, and props that the students can take on.  Spending so much time on this also helps to ensure there is time for mistakes to occur, allows me time to dialogue and asses each student's progress, and to really pay attention to the details. It's been great so far!

Good luck!

Abra Chusid
    Theatre Director
    Buffalo Grove IL

• 6.  RE: Need tech theatre ideas

Posted 09-15-2014 10:56
    Good ideas thanks for sharing.

Christopher Craig
    Teacher
    Alamo Middle School
    Midland TX

• 7.  RE: Need tech theatre ideas

Posted 09-17-2014 14:14
    I teach middle school kids but I'm on my tech unit at the moment. Brigham Young University's Theatre Education program has some great lesson plans on their website. I also have some prezis that I have made for my class. Right now were discussing lighting design if you would like them I don't mind sharing

Teresa Elmore
    Kokomo IN

• 8.  RE: Need tech theatre ideas

Posted 09-18-2014 07:56
    I have posted a few videos on how to hand draft light plots on YouTube. Links to these are also post on my high school tech production website at www.HSTech.org The Videos include bit of stuff on how to choose the correct lighting unit, as far as degree angle goes, based on positioning and distance. Hth, Scott
    Scott Parker Lighting Designer