Open Forum

View Only

Who is in charge of your drama program?

• 1.  Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-09-2017 07:15
    Good morning all,

I know this is a busy time of year but I need some info at your earliest convenience. I have been asked to do some digging into how other schools staff their drama programs. At the moment my school has one person doing the Fall show, a play, and one person doing the spring show (me), a musical.  My principal has asked me if any other school does this. 

My question:  Is there one person in charge of your drama program?  How do you staff it? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Carol] Siegel
    Certified Theatre Educator
    Island Trees High School
    Levittown, NY
    516-520-2135

• 2.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-09-2017 08:00
    I know some school theatre programs are organized this way but it seems a dysfunctional to me. It typically leads to dissention among students and pwer struggles between adults -- unless both parties are 100 percent professional and work together for the bteerment of the kids and not their individual programs.

I have always thankfully worked is a situation where the theatre department produces both plays and musicals and therefore only one person is "in charge." I work hard to collaborate with my colleagues and all students but, in the end, I make the decisions and am help accountable by the administration.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 3.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-09-2017 10:23
    At my school, I direct our two main stage shows (fall and spring, usually) and advise our students for our student-directed one-act plays in the winter. I design the sets, lighting, props, etc., and my wife handles the costumes (unpaid). I also plan all the trips, etc. in addition to teaching 1-2 Drama Classes and 3-4 English classes, depending on the year. I get parents to volunteer their time as much as I can, but for all intents and purposes, I am a one-person program.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 4.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-09-2017 13:18
    I am a one-woman show. I have the responsibility for all improv, student directed, one acts and all main stage productions. Other schools in my district have multiple teachers in the department who handle different aspects of the responsibilities... mostly tech is one teacher and performance is another. They share the responsibilities for the productions though. The tech teacher handles the straight main stage and the improv troupe and the performance teacher handles the musical and one acts (or did last year).

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-10-2017 08:16
    Our department has had more than one teacher for years. Right now we are a two person department, but it has been three in the past! There is no formula for how we split up the shows though. We are very good friends and we just see who can do what when. Usually one of us is the director while the other is the producer. However, we have great communication and if the director has a conflict one day, the producer steps in at rehearsal. It's great too because we generally have another eye to give feedback. I think it's great that our kids get to work with different directing styles! It makes them more flexible for the real world.

Brooke Jackson
    Lexington KY

• 6.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-10-2017 09:27
    I am paid by the school to be the director of the fall and spring show (which lately is a musical). The school pays for the tech director who also works on both shows. He and I run the Thespian troupe (without compensation) and I take on any or all of the crazy added things (Improv troupe, etc). The school used to pay for the Assistant Sponsor who oversees the winter show of student directed one acts, but due to cutbacks, that person is now paid by the theatre boosters. The boosters also pay for the music director and choreographer for the spring musical, and more recently a costume consultant to guide the students in make-up and costume for both shows. We often have about 100 students involved off and on throughout the year, and this is a school where the students have to pay a $400 pay to participate fee in order to be involved.

If you look at other programs in your school, ask: do the sports teams have one adult coach? I bet not! Any sport with almost 100 students will have more than one coach paid for by the school.  Theatre has so much going on, from acting to set & props, lights, sound, and then the makeup and costume area. Then there is publicity and house. We have students in charge of all these various areas.  All these skills required to produce a play are far more diverse than any sports team I have seen, and theatre is all year, not just for one season!

If the school pays for more than 1 coach per sports team, then there should be more than one Drama Coach to help out with the entire year of productions.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 7.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-10-2017 17:07
    Hello,

I teach at small rural school in Indiana.  I am the Drama Club sponsor, so basically I am in charge of both our musical in the fall and our straight show in the spring.  However, I am fortunate to have our band/choir teacher do the music for the musical.  In essence, we co-direct the musical, especially since the Music Boosters pay the initial expenses to get the materials for the musical.  Also, we usually hire a choreographer for the musical as well.  Hope this helps.

Ken Robinson

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 8.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 07-18-2017 17:06
    I guess it's me. 

I'm the Theatre teacher and and I direct the All-School and the Thespian Show as well as the competition pieces throughout the year (State and others).  I'm also the sponsor.

There is a musical team but they are exclusively so.  I guess Admin would look to me.  Often, in my school, you sort of take ownership of things and they become yours.

Christine DeFrancesco
    Theatre Teacher
    Huntley High School
    Huntley, IL

• 9.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-10-2017 22:50
    I was lucky to start in a program that had multiple teachers producing shows, and I've sought to make that happen for nearly 20 years. For those of you who are a one person show, ask yourself this: what could you do with two or three staff?
    I get it. It's hard to let go of the decision-making and trust someone else with your program. However, if you get the right kind of people and you all can agree to do your best to produce good theatre, you can do so much. For example:
    Right now there are two other teachers who are willing to direct shows at my school. These are not full-time drama teachers, but each of them has experience in theatre and over the years have become great directors in their own right. Do we agree on how a show should be cast/ rehearsed/ teched/ etc.? Nope. In fact, there are things that drive me crazy about how they do things. And vice versa. But because there are three of us, we can produce 5 scripted shows and 9 smaller drama events - and no one gets too burnt out. We rotate who directs which shows every year. We learn from each other. We help each other cast. We produce some shows at the same time, thereby giving more students more opportunities. The students get the benefit of three different adult directors. And so on.

To answer your question: we are all in charge. Sure, I teach the most drama classes and produce the majority of the smaller drama events, but when one of them is directing, I'm not in charge anymore.
    I'm not even counting the art teacher who helps with the sets, the vocal teacher who is our musical director for all of our musicals, the math teacher who is an amateur playwright who does reader's theatre every once in a while, and the english teacher who is trying to write a musical and helps with casting on occasion. Theatre is a collaborative effort.

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 10.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-13-2017 14:22
    I'm responding primarily to Jake's post with a question:

How does your school manage to schedule so many drama events?  
    We are held back from doing more because it's "too hard to fit in the schedule."  School size must make the difference, I would guess.  We have about 950 students.  How about other schools with more than 3 performances a year?

Bonnie Wilson
    Scottsdale AZ

• 11.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-14-2017 16:18
    Hi Bonnie:

We have over 3200 students on campus and are growing each year.  Multiple productions are necessary to be able to try to give opportunities to as many students as possible.  I have approximately 200 students involved in my program.

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 12.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-11-2017 05:43
    Carol, 
    When I started it was two of us. My colleague would handle directing and I would handle tech. Last year, we made a switch. She did costumes, I did design and direct the three works. This was a transition as she moved on to pursue her MFA. Now I am flying solo. I produce/design/direct three shows per year; a fall straight play, a winter classical piece, and a spring musical. My seniors handle the fourth show (competition one act) as a resident company working in class daily. 

This is has meant I do have to hire outside staff- tech director, choreographer, and musical director. My admin is super supportive and steps in with duties ranging from headshot production to maintaining BCI checks on my staff and parent boosters.

i am finding with this supporting infrastructure, I can tackle the artistic portions of my job and still teach a full 8 semester course load. Utilizing the students has also helped in my exec board and with assistant directors, dance captains, student designers/costumers and I created an officer position in the Troupe for ATD. 

I hope this answers your question. I fly solo, with an amazing support team.

yours in Art,

Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 13.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-11-2017 12:57

Why are some high school theatres so understaffed? In my book (see signature line below) I offer the ideal staffing model – and the reasons for it. Here it is:

Drama (Acting) Teacher

Instrumental Music Teacher

Vocal Music Teacher

Dance Teacher

CTE Tech Theatre Teacher

Theatre Manager

TD (Lead Technician)

One dedicated Lighting Technician and one sub

One dedicated Sound Technician and one sub

One dedicated Stage/Rigging Technician and one sub

Paid Student Crew

This may surprise you, this may seem impossible, but it's not. You can see examples of some 'Gold Standard' high school theatre departments on my website at http://www.presett.org/gold-standard-schools.html. These standards should apply to every high school theatre (whether it's rented out or not).

It always amazes me the range of support high school theatres in this country get, from one-person-shows (like everyone who has posted so far) to fully staffed, yet there does not seem to be this range between high schools and their sports departments in this country – as Valerie also commented. Almost every high school has a plethora of sports coaches and their assistant coaches – the sports department in the high school where I hang my hat (I am a Theatre Manager with a professional technical crew of 7, and I am in charge of supervising all events coming into the theatre from a class meeting, to a full length musical, and everything in between) even has it's own physical therapist. As well as a coach for every specific sport (as opposed to a one-person-show PE teacher) we have a running coach, a catching coach, a hitting coach, a throws coach, a jumping coach, the list goes on. Just recently the school district put out job postings for six coaches/assistant coaches – and that was just one day's posting. Posts for specialty sports coaches come out periodically.

But what about a lighting coach, a set design coach, a rigging coach…? Recently I took the school's job description for a sports coach, and changing only sports terms to theatre terms, and changing nothing about the job description, I came up with this job description for Tech Theatre Coaches (there's another one I have for Musical Theatre Coaches):

TITLE: Assistant Theatre Coach

• Set Design Coach; Construction, Installation, Strike
    • Lighting Design Coach; Installation, Operation, Strike
    • Stage Crew and Rigging Operations Coach
    • Costume Design Coach; Construction, Operation, Strike
    • Sound Design Coach; Installation, Operation, Strike

DEPARTMENT: Theatre Department

STUDENT PARTICIPATION:

Play: 10 to 20 cast, 5 to 10 crew (15 – 30)

Musical: ~40 cast, ~ 15 crew, ~ 20 pit orchestra (~75)

REPORTS TO: Drama Director

Approximate Start Date -

Fall Play season dates (design, construction, installation, tech rehearsals, performances, strike).

Winter Play season dates (design, construction, installation, tech rehearsals, performances, strike).

Spring Musical season dates (design, construction, installation, tech rehearsals, performances, strike). .

Work Days: ¨ Mon Tue Wed Thr Fri Sat Sun

Sets, Costume: 8 weeks

Lighting, Stage/Rigging, Sound: 4 weeks

8 weeks: $2328.00

4 weeks: $1164.00

POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for assisting the director, and coaching and providing direction to student stage crews so that they might achieve a high level of skill as well as an appreciation for discipline, accountability and teamwork in the area of technical expertise for which they are responsible. At is a supervisory responsibility of all school employees to supervise students and to assist in maintaining a safe environment.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:

• Holds and or attends organizational meetings for show production prospects and parents and encourages potential student crew to participate in the production.
    • Assists with interviews and the collection of data and anecdotal observations on student performance.
    • Supports the director monitoring the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met; and encourages student stage crews to maintain a high academic standard
    • Follows and maintains knowledge of all District Regulations and procedures.
    • At the direction of the director, instructs and demonstrates skill sets and techniques necessary for individual and team achievement in their respective specialty (lighting, sound, stage/rigging, costumes).
    • Assures a certified coach certificated teacher/District employee is present at all rehearsals, 'work parties' and performances.
    • Assures student stage crews are supervised by a paid Coach on the cast and crew bus both to and from venues.
    • Observes stage crews, during performance and rehearsals, design and construction to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
    • Adheres to financial Regulations and practices of the District in regard to the handling of money, expenses, and receipts.
    • Organizes and or directs individual and small group rehearsal design and construction activities/exercises
    • Works with the director, as needed, in preparing rehearsal and construction and pre-performance schedules.
    • Enforces discipline Regulations and emphasizes, safety, teamwork and healthy lifestyles.
    • Supervises students in dressing rooms and construction shops at home and away performances and ensures appropriate behavior.
    • Instructs student- stage crews on and maintains a safe environment and facilities for student stage crews at all times.
    • Completes District injury report for any student injured within 24 hours even if student stage crew does not see physician.
    • Models mentor-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards stage crew, judges, and audience.
    • Professionally represents the school and the District in interactions with student, parents, community, staff and the media.
    • Maintains appropriate certifications and training hours as required by USITT and the district.
    • Demonstrates regular and prompt attendance to all rehearsal, construction and performance events.
    • Follows USITT rules, and District Regulations.
    • Participates in special activities to include parent's night, company meetings, banquets, and Thespian award nights, and pep assemblies.
    • Periodically and or consistent with USITT rules and or director expectations attends staff development meetings, clinics and other professional activities to improve technical performance.
    • Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
    • Possess knowledge of and adhere to Governing Policies and District Regulations and Procedures.
    • Participate in special projects as assigned and perform related duties and key responsibilities consistent with the scope and intent of the position.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Working Conditions & Physical Requirements

Must have the ability to:

sit and stand for extended periods of time;

operate hand and power tools;

operate a 'manlift';

operate a fly system;

exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone,

see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids;

operate technical control boards;

hear and understand speech at normal levels, on stage and on the telephone;

speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly;

physical agility;

set and operate technical theatrical equipment with a high level of safety.

UPDATED SCHOOL DISTRICT JOB DESCRIPTION

to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder height and 50 pounds to waist height;

lift objects approximately 40 lbs;

and to bend, to stoop, to sit on the floor, to climb stairs, to walk and to reach overhead.

regular lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of equipment, material;

work at heights;

ability to climb ladders while carrying equipment;

Work Environment

The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in a school environment or in a performing arts center. Duties may be occasionally performed on field trips away from school. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.

EDUCATION:

High school diploma or equivalent.

Bachelors degree in area of technical specialty is commonly expected.

EXPERIENCE:

Job related experience is desired.

Three (3) years of technical theatre experience preferred. Experience in designing, constructing and operating large events. Specialized experience in, and knowledge of, technical theatre area of expertise.

REQUIRED TESTING:

None Required

USITT eSET desired.

CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:

CPR/First Aid Certificate (may be required)

ETCP Certification desired.

CONTINUING EDUCATION/TRAINING:

None Specified

Current 'manlift' certification.

CLEARANCES:

Criminal Justice fingerprint/Background Clearance

FLSA STATUS:

Non-exempt

BARGAINING UNIT:

Represented classified employee

No one should be running a high school theatre program on their own (regardless of whether their theatre is rented out or not). I encourage you to open up talks with your admin. Through no fault of their own – when they go to a theatre all they see, and therefore all they know, is the polished performance happening magically before their eyes – they don't know what it takes to run a theatre. Talking between ourselves is a very supportive environment, but nothing is going to actually change unless we share that knowledge with those who are making the decisions for us. Carol, I'm glad to hear that your principal is proactively asking – I hope this helps.

Beth Rand
    High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Fall Session starts Sept. 11. Spaces still available.

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon.

www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 14.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-12-2017 03:56
    Good morning,

For most of the 12 years I have been teaching with this organization, I have taught ELA/drama and have been a one-person drama department (OPDD),  for all of this time. While being an OPDD can be challenging, it has forced me to move out of my strength (acting), and develop a bit of expertise (okay, strong working knowledge), of the tech side of theater. My students and I have produced Reader's Theater pieces, musicals (with the music/choir teacher), festival pieces, full-length plays, one-act plays, improv events, madrigal dinners (with the glee club sponsor and the music/choir teacher), and community event performances. To help with all of this, I have relied on family members, parents and qualified wood shop students to help build sets and paint (I learned how to frame a house by helping the crew that framed Mrs. Lovett's pie shop for our production of Sweeney Todd), sewing students and crafty moms (who boldly go where they have never gone before) have made creating costumes and set props a breeze.

Like many of you, I also find help within my amazing local community. Since my school is on a military installation students at the leadership academy have helped by making props, doors, and flats in exchange for community service points.  I have also used a local national to teach my students how to apply special effects makeup. Other parents are always eager to serve as chaperones for our theater field trips and to bake treats for the intermission concession stand. I also get a lot of help from my very creative drama students who are all about upcycling (who knew that a screen door would make an excellent guillotine!?), but my ELA students love to help out as well--they made an old bust into an amazing Medusa!  I

Trenetta Jones
    Teacher
    Lakenheath High School
    APO AE

• 15.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-12-2017 19:42
    Carol,
    I'm not surprised that everyone wants so much to brag and lament their teaching/instruction/<g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="16" data-gr-id="16">theatre</g> position in response to your query and I think you've got some pretty helpful ideas.  

My one big question back to you - and it is such an 'acting' question - that works in a continuation of the discussion: "what do you want?"  What are your goals in respect to how things work?  Do you think that you could use more staff?  Would that benefit your program and personal sanity?  Are you looking for how everyone's program runs or for leverage to get what you already think you want?   There are so many parameters touching on what might hep or hinder your program...  but what will jive with you and your program is largely up to you and what you feel is best for your kids.   Seems like it is time to work with admin...

Break a Leg!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 16.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-12-2017 23:09
    Like most who have replied, I am a One Person Department.  I teach four different levels of acting (Drama I, Drama II, Intermediate and Advanced) plus two levels of tech (CTE Tech level I and II) and manage CTE Interns as well.  

In addition, I direct 3 mainstage productions, plus One Act and two showcases a year.  I also sponsor/manage the Thespian Troupe which includes attending and competing at Thespian Conference and Regionals.  We also travel to Utah for the Shakespeare Competition and compete in the annual ESU Shakespeare competition.  Every other year I also direct/produce the Performing Arts Department Musical.  Lastly, I produce and manage a summer musical theatre camp for elementary students (it is our annual fundraiser and my students direct every portion of putting on a full musical in just 2 short weeks).  

I have been teaching for more than 20 years, but left teaching high school drama for some time because it was just too much to expect of a single person to do EVERYTHING as Director and Tech Director for each production, in addition to all of the other duties.  I came back to it because I was enticed by a district that offered a part-time "stage manager," someone who provided technical support for the productions.  Although the stage manager is now full time, plus I now have an additional part time person, I find that I have even less support than I did before.  Each year I am trying to find more ways to fit it all in.  For example, based on discussions in this forum, I am going to try directing productions out of my classes this next year so I have the time to attend to set building and tech needs after school.  But as I do that, I find that more responsibilities are just loaded on to my plate and my workload continues to be 14-16 hours a day, 6 days a week.  I wish I could say, as others have, that I had a great support team, including parent boosters, but I don't.  Music is much more important in the community that I live in, so parents are very supportive of the music programs, and only seem to get involved and volunteer to help when it comes to the musical.  Otherwise, as much as I beg and plead for help, the only time I see parents is during a show night and at the end of the year banquet, where I get a lot of kudos and thank yous, but no volunteers to help make it happen.  

Unless the changes I am making actually lighten my workload, this will likely be my last year teaching theatre in high school.  After 20+ years, I have learned that theatre will never be given the support that sports are given and although I love mys students and love what I do every day, I am exhausted.  I have worked in regional and community theatres as well and know what it's like to have a professional crew that I can rely on to get things done.  It makes all the difference in the world.  I really wish I could find a school district that offered co-teachers and support personnel.  That would be a dream come true!

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 17.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-13-2017 10:54
    Wow, Jeana.  I hope you find a way to continue.  It would be a crime to see all that experience of yours go to waste.

I have a one-man show as well but have been lucky to have a former student that has been My Man Friday for the past ten years.  Even with this godsend, I know of the exhaustion levels of which you speak.

My current approach is to let administration know I have the program that I set out to create and to communicate that my goal at this time is to see it continue after I'm gone within, say, 10 years.  

By tapping into forgotten stipends in the contract and urging them to create new supplemental positions, I'm hoping to have more of my hours recognized as necessary to maintain an entire theatre arts program.  Those positions will go to myself and my former student at first but eventually split up to other dedicated and talented directors.

The creation of any new positions will eventually (hopefully) allow me to step back (and, yes, slow down) to supervise while other people come in to do what I am currently doing for way too many hours of the day and way too many days of the week.  

I hope there was something in the above that you could find useful as you plan your next step this summer.

Take care!

Stephen Benjamin
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Garfield Heights OH

• 18.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-13-2017 14:11
    I too am a one-person drama dept. although my husband had been a technical director so the school got two for the price of one.  Concrete stage in a cafeteria, consistently bumped for athletic banquets, treated like second-class citizens (my students' words, not mine), but I'm still here after 13 years. The core group of drama parents have consistently kept us going and without their volunteer help with costumes, props, etc., my heart would have given out long ago.  I gave up teaching English after 4 years to salvage my health, and have been blessed (finally) with the ability to allow my drama classes to grow.  My administration finally wants to know how to help me and I think  
    Jeana had the right idea.  I need an adult Stage Manager to manage the productions.  But I fear what Jeana describes - once help arrives, there are more and more things to do and once parents see that someone else is helping you, they may stop volunteering.  

For now, I survive by the grace of God and the love of a core of parents generously giving their time because they too have come to appreciate the immeasurable value of theatre education.  They always want me to do more, but keep encouraging me to take time for myself.  Thanks, but that's the dilemma.  Hang in there, Jeana.  Theatre teachers like you are the real Superheroes.

Bonnie Wilson
    Scottsdale AZ

• 19.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 06-14-2017 09:17
    This is the time of year when all of us are running on empty.  I am the only theatre teacher at our school.  I teach about 150 students, and we have nearly 200 involved in our theatre program throughout the year.  For the past 6 years, the school has hired an assistant theatre coach.  This has been a HUGE help to me as each of the past three assistant coaches has had an area of expertise that can be taken off my plate.  Our current assistant choreographs our musical and helps me carry out my directorial vision.  We make a great team, and it's great that she has specific things to be in charge of, while I get to focus on the bigger picture.  
    It's clear that all of us teach/coach theatre for the sheer love of the subject.  I feel that we need to continue to invite our fellow teachers and administrators to come to our shows, observe our rehearsals, and feel like they're a part of our programs, too.  When I had other teachers come to a musical rehearsal, they were gobsmacked about all the things going on and how many kids I was in charge of (it was a tech rehearsal for Beauty and the Beast which had about 100 kids in the cast/crew/orchestra).  
    I often say that teaching theatre is not a job:it's a crusade.  After 13 years, I still feel this way.  But, I see the value of what we do and how crucial theatre skills are to the future of the kids we teach.  These kids NEED our classes, as we synthesize information and skills from other disciplines.  We're the ones who are actually preparing them for life after high school in regard to collaborative skills, empathy, creativity and design, literary analysis, and oratory skills. We are crucial to these kids' education, and, when I feel I'm at the end of my rope, I take a step back and think of all those kids who come by with letters, for a hug, for one last goodbye from their "favorite" teacher.  

I know this got SUPER sentimental, but it's easy to get isolated on our islands.  I continue to try to find ways to build bridges/boats to connect with other theatre teachers.  This forum is something I read nearly every day to keep me going.  

So, I'm in charge of the drama program at my school.  The buck starts and stops with me, and although it's a heck of responsibility, I like it that way :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 20.  RE: Who is in charge of your drama program?

Posted 07-20-2017 23:34

Who is in charge?

Well, I am the producer.  It is up to me to make sure we choose shows we can cast, to manage the budget, and to ensure that we can afford the shows we choose.

That said, I'm not in charge of everything.

FALL MUSICAL - our choir director is in charge of vocal instruction; our choreographer is in charge of dance; one of our instrumental music instructors is in charge of the pit; I am in charge of staging/acting, publicity costumes and props; and our technical director is in charge of set, lighting and sound.  We all work together to ensure that everyone gets what they need, and make compromises where needed.  When it comes to casting, it is myself, our choreographer and our choir director, as well as student assistant directors.  The students assistants get input (which can often be very valuable as many times they have directed some of the students auditioning when we haven't yet had the chance), and we all work together to ensure the best cast.

WINTER ONE ACTS - student chosen, student directed.  We use festival casting.  I am merely in charge of making sure they don't burn the place down.  They get lights up/down only, and have a budget of $0 beyond their royalties, so they have to make do with whatever we already have.

FALL and SPRING STUDENT SHOWS - This is a production class show.  They are in charge of everything, I am in charge of guidance, making sure they stay safe, and writing the checks.  

WINTER and SPRING PLAYS - I am in charge of staging, publicity, costumes and props.  Our TD is in charge of set, lighitng, sound.  Casting is done by myself and student assistants (again, they get input, the final decision is mine).

We are a school of 3000 with a department of 150+.   I would love to offer more performance opportunities, as we but at this point I can't take anything more on and I haven't identified anyone, inside or outside of the school, who is interested in directing an additional show for no pay.  That said, even if my fairy godmother showed up and offered to direct, I don't think we could add anything.  Our auditorium is used for so many things that scheduling is difficult,  Our 3 shows are pretty much locked in to the same time frame year after year because of all of the concerts and other events that take place in there.  In fact, when we added the production class we almost couldn't find a time for them to perform.  There was literally one weekend each semester that worked, and even then we had a conflict with a choir event happening outside the school.  With kids who are involved in more than one art, it gets very challenging to schedule.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR