Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sound enhancement for non-musical shows

Posted 09-28-2016 10:47
    Our fall production of Letters to Sala will feature piano accompaniment composed and performed live by a student pianist.  We want to be sure that the actors are heard over the music, but would like to avoid body/lapel mics if at all possible.  Any ideas out there for using other types of mics -- floor, hanging, something else?  

Kathy Dorgan
    OHS Theatre Director
    English Department

• 2.  RE: Sound enhancement for non-musical shows

Posted 09-28-2016 11:22

Both floor and hanging mics are options for this, trying to place the mics near the majority of the action. 

It may be easier, however, to try and quiet the sound of the piano. If the piano is offstage, you could mic that and put it through the speakers at a low level that won't interfere with the voices of the actors. It could also then be louder at certain points, if needed. 

------------------------------
    Mike Ritchey
    Technical Director
    Santa Margarita Catholic High School
    Rancho Santa Margarita CA

• 3.  RE: Sound enhancement for non-musical shows

Posted 09-29-2016 09:29

Kathy, 

I am going through this same process with my upcoming production of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. We aren't even miking the piano, and we are using floor (boundary) mics at the front of the stage, as well as hanging mics.  

We are putting lavs on the actors who sing in small groups or have solos, but those will only be hot when they are actually singing.

I am a big proponent of actors working on projection!

Ray

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster High School
    Schererville IN

• 4.  RE: Sound enhancement for non-musical shows

Posted 09-30-2016 09:18

Would it be effective to have your pianist use a digital piano? That way you have complete control over the piano's volume. It may be easier than trying to figure out how to mic the cast.

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 5.  RE: Sound enhancement for non-musical shows

Posted 09-30-2016 18:09

The suggestions for actor projection, moving the piano offstage, and using an electronic piano are all good.  Another way to quiet down a piano (Baby Grand or Upright) is to drape a few layers of packing blankets over it to absorb some of the direct sound.  This way the pianist can still be visible to the audience (assuming that is desirable).  If the packing blankets are too industrial looking, then cover them with a (lacy?) table cloth or decorated scrim to improve the appearance.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems