Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-12-2017 18:54
    Hi Theatre Community!

Can anyone recommend a decent theatre history or major theatre movements/genres video to show beginning students? I'm afraid that the ones I have found on youtube won't be engaging enough for my group of students.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Taylour Matz
    Theatre Teacher
    Everett Alvarez High School
    Salinas CA

• 2.  RE: History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-13-2017 10:59
    I had one years ago, but it was an educational video on VHS and I've never tried to get it transferred.  What I ended up doing was finding small videos for each of the 7 phases of theatre history that I cover as a skeletal introduction:  Primitive Man, Greeks, Romans, Secular, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Shakespeare.

I always keep my viewings short because it's history and many aren't into it.  I have outlines that the students can refer to and when I first introduce them as a "lecture" I animate as much as possible physically and vocally...to make it interesting.

This summer I put together a Power Point that will replace that lost VHS and hopefully be more interesting anyway.  I can share my outlines and/or PPT if you are interested.  The PPT is personalized a bit because when I went to Greece, Rome and London I took pictures of myself (intentionally) as a "tour guide" and put that in the PPT, but you could easily rid yourself of those personalizations.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck!

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 3.  RE: History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-14-2017 09:02
    Here is a link to a 28 minute video on You tube called The Origin of Acting and "The Method". I use it as a  theatre history review and as intro to advanced scene work.

I used it as a review and an intro into advanced scene work.
    YouTube remove preview
    The Origins of Acting and "The Method"
    Take the full Filmmaker IQ course on the history of Method Acting with sauce and bonus material at: https://filmmakeriq.com/courses/origins-acting-method/ The Origins of Acting and "The Method" Trace the origins of acting technique by following the roots of theater going back all the way to the Ancient Greeks, through the Italian Renaissance and finally to the psychological approaches of the 20th Century under the term "Method" If you have any further questions be sure to check out our questions page on Filmmaker IQ: https://filmmakeriq.com/balcony_categories/questions/
    View this on YouTube >

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, MD

• 4.  RE: History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-16-2017 09:29
    This was amazing - Thank you!  I learned a thing or two myself.

Edna Bland
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Seminole County Public Schools
    Sanford FL

• 5.  RE: History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-13-2017 17:01
    My suggestion is for a genre and its history  I hope it is helpful.  From Russia To Hollywood:The 100 Year Odyssey of Michael Chekhov, available at Amazon and my site www lisadalton.com is narrated by Gregory Peck and covers the biography and evolution of Mr. Chekhov from the Moscow Art Theatre, where he is still considered the greatest of Russian actors, to Hollywood as an Oscar-nominated Actor and coach to greats like Monroe, Eastwood, Cooper, Dean, Bridges, Quinn. Interviews, film clips and details of the technique give context. Many teachers use this for their classes.

Lisa Dalton
    Fort Worth, TX
    National Michael Chekhov Association, Pres, Certifying Master Teacher

• 6.  RE: History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-14-2017 11:42
    Hello,

These are good suggestions.  What I do is create a project for my students in which, working in pairs, they have to research a particular theatre history period and present an oral/visual report - usually almost a full class period. The other students have to take notes, ask questions (which they can throughout presentations), and critique the reports at the end based on oral and visual presentation.  I create the rubric and a generic overview of what the project should include.  I've worked with my library to have supporting databases, approved websites, and, golly gosh, books that are strong sources.  I also have a small but powerful library in my classroom.  I continue to save articles that can be pertinent and have a file of those for them.  While I encourage web searches --- I'm also interested in them using theatre history textbooks, and such, too.  I also have a "greatest hits" list for each genre that makes sure they cover key aspects in plays/playwrights, managers/directors, actors, performance styles, technical theatre -- that kind of thing.  We also study Aristotle's Poetics prior to the project and use it as a basis to compare and contrast how each period relates -- or not -- to that original definition of theatre.  Please note this is Western Theatre.  I grade their presentation, their notecards/speaking cards, research/works cited list, their personal critiques, and obviously the content of the project such as including all requirements for the project in general and the specifics of their period in particular..  I also circulate throughout the process whether in classroom or library.  I've been doing this approach for quite a few years and they get more engaged and learn more - and the come up with some highly creative projects.  They get an overview of all periods and become more expert at one.  They are also stretching their dramatrugy skills and collaborating,  You can pretty much link most, if not all, of the National Core Theatre Arts standards to this project!  Using Google to collaborate is great!

Andrea Roney
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    roneya@npenn.org
    North Penn School District
    Hatfield PA
    roneya@npenn.org

• 7.  RE: History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-15-2017 11:59
    A few folks asked to see the theatre history handouts and power point I created.
    NOTE: when I got the job at my current school there were no history outlines, so I referred to my college notes! (shout out to college).

Here there are, for what they may be worth, and I hope the format didn't get screwed up.  I'm not the most techno device person.
    You'll have to change the PPT a bit, as I personalized it.
    Cheers to all for a wonderful new year at school!
    Valerie

--

Ms. Valerie O'Riordan |​  Drama Director, House Provincial

Archbishop Riordan High School
    175 Phelan Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94112

IN THE FALL ON THE LINDLAND STAGE!

Directed by Joey Klobas '07                                                                                                                   Auditions August 29                                                                                                                           Opens November 10

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-15-2017 15:48
    Thanks for sharing the excellent ppt., Valerie!
    Tim Reagan

Tim Reagan
    Silver Spring MD

• 9.  RE: History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-16-2017 09:28
    Thank you for this power point, videos, etc. I've been using them in my advanced classes. You guys are awesome!

Edna Bland
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Seminole County Public Schools
    Sanford FL

• 10.  RE: History of Theatre Video

Posted 08-14-2017 12:00
    I use a 30 minute video I purchased from Films Media Group (Films Media Group - Home
    Films remove preview
    Films Media Group - Home
    Films Media Group, an Infobase Learning Company, is the premier source of high-quality academic streaming video and DVDs for schools, colleges, and libraries.
    View this on Films >
    ) called The History of Theatre. It's from 2010. My students really like it. When you purchase it you have access to two study sheets that go along with it.  A fill in the blank that we stop and fill in as we go along and a word search for further reviewing the material. I l love all the films/videos from this site. To find the Drama and theatre section first go to DVD's Videos, click on English Language Arts, then, Drama and
    Theatre. They also include the option of paying for a streaming version. They're not cheap but totally worth it,  IMO

Debra Hubbard-Pastore
    Theatre Arts teacher
    Rowan Salisbury Schools
    Salisbury NC