Open Forum

View Only

How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

• 1.  How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-24-2017 19:25
    Greetings,

As a future educator, I am wondering something that is big...

If in the event I don’t have a technical director at the school I teach at, how should I balance out my time to keep an eye on rehearsals and set construction efficient and done timely?

Something I plan on doing is Work Calls where all cast and crew members come in on a couple of Saturday’s to work primarily on the technical aspect (set or costumes depending on where I trust them most). Some have said have the students get involved, become leaders and be a student technical director, however, I have been told that can also be a very bad idea.

Thanks in advanced,

---------------------------------
    Brian Percival

Emporia KS
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-25-2017 08:10
    Brian,
    Definitely get your students involved. Tech is another important way students learn about and experience the joy of theatre. Find every way you can to empower your students to give them ownership in the process and the product. I have my Stagecraft class design the sets and costumes for our shows, under my guidance as teacher and director. We have a PT Tech Director who supervises students two days a week while I rehearse, and we have Tech work days, when all cast and crew are expected to chip in. While we work hard to build a sense of self-identity and pride in the Tech crew, we also work to avoid stratification. We are all responsible for all parts of the show. Good luck and have fun!
    Rick Osann
    Bonny Eagle High School
    Standish, ME

Sent from my iPad
    --
    The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or
    entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any
    review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
    action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
    the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please
    contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any
    computer.

MSAD #6 - Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island, Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 3.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-25-2017 12:27
    This is something I struggle with. I do it all. All the designing, all the building, all the directing. Plus I teach classes independently of the musical. I try to get all the set design build in the first semester so we don't have so much work to do in the spring (when the musical opens). We currently only do one show a year but next year I'm trying to do one in the fall as well.  I keep everything as simple as possible to try to get through it all.

------------------------------
    Alison Dingle
    Theater Teacher
    Adelson Educational Campus
    Las Vegas NV

• 4.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-25-2017 16:45
    Brian, 
    As some one who is heavily involved with stiffened in tech I will tell you that if the school has a technical dorector it is still helpful to have yourself involved with the process becaus it helps you know what you can do in the future. With the idea of not having someone you will probably have a student that does do a lot of the technical work in your department because they like it or they have stepped up to help, having a student help be in charge and lead is very helpful but make sure that you give clear directions to that student and the others who we working with them. If you do have a student who is interested in being a technical director make sure they read some extra information on safety and what shouldn't be permitted. 
    Doing mandatory calls on Saturday's is very helpful, but I know sometimes I have also worked with students during rehearsals in another part of the space so that they can see what the actors do and vise versa. I know a lot of other people here have also said that during normal rehearsal times they will do tech work so that you have the time allotted already because the students are used to being there but have some "tech rehearsals" to make sure you have enough time.

Brandon Lively
    Columbus, OH

• 5.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-26-2017 11:56
    Hi Brian!  

I don't have a tech director, and I also don't have theater classes, so all of my production work (1 full length straight show and a one act for festival,) has to happen outside the school day. I'm in my third year directing at this school -- before that I didn't need to handle the tech.  So, I've spent a few years learning how to do all the things myself so that I can teach kids and/or handle on my own if I need to.  I'm not a builder, but by now I can design a set, handle my own light and sound design and programming, connect with the community resources I need, and sort out how to get the look and feel of the show.  The goal for me is to have as much student involvement as possible in execution and design, but kids don't usually show up already knowing how to do all the things, so it's on me to know what I'm doing.  

I save after school for rehearsals, and as you suggested, have several production work Saturdays for each show, plus a fairly intensive tech weekend, which works well.  Cast and crew are expected to help out, and it's also a way for theater kids not involved in a particular show to earn Thespian Society credit. 

I have a few amazing adult building volunteers (theater parents, my own husband,) who help make the set design a concrete reality, but at my school I'm not allowed to have the kids use the power tools.  There's still a ton of work for them -- scenic painting, prop making/organizing, costuming, sound and light work, endless rounds of organizing our theater spaces.  I've been appointing leadership for a particular kind of task -- like a skilled artist for the painters, since some kids are holding a paint brush for the first time, while others are mailing off their applications to art school  -- and make it clear that that person is the boss.  (That person works with me to understand/develop a plan for what's needed, and during a work day I'm shifting around working with all the groups.)    

Long answer, but this has been the story of my life in the last few years!  I've been lucky to have some good books and some people willing to teach me, including the folks on this forum, and it has been a pretty great challenge.  I still have a lot I want to learn, but we just finished Radium Girls last weekend, and it was a far more tech savvy show than I could have pulled off when I started.  Even if some day I'm able to bring on a tech director, I'm SO glad I've gotten started on this myself -- I can't imagine not being fully involved in the process.   

Enjoy!

Josie Tierney-Fife
    English Teacher/Theater Director
    Gorham, Maine

• 6.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-27-2017 12:55
    Hello Brian,

Something I would try to do, especially if you have a large cast, is line up projects that you know need to be completed and then ask students to sign up for that particular task.  For instance, you may need eight students to paint the backdrop on Saturday from 10 am - 2 pm.  The more specific you are with your planning, the better you will be able to utilize people when they called.  I always try to have students sign up, and that way I don't have twenty people show up and stand around waiting to do something.

Good luck.

Christian Garretson
    Towson MD

• 7.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-27-2017 14:22
    I have a Technical Theatre class that should be offered in the spring every two years.  (With different people in charge of the master schedule every year lately, it has been offered annually.)  

I also designed a Tech Theatre Practicum class that is for students with at least two Theatre classes, or one class and significant technical experience in Saturday work days.  That mini-class of two to three students is placed in any period when I have Theatre I.  They work on projects relating to current productions, starting with reading the play and doing dramaturgical research and specific design research.  We keep a notebook of tasks that need to be done, and students sign off on tasks when they are completed.  I am available for them to ask questions, but most of the work is done collaboratively with their partner(s).  

My production classes all do research projects relating to the production and contribute to various elements of the design.  I generally assign Theatre IV students in leadership positions on lighting, sets and props, costumes, etc., so I am not the only one with answers to questions.  While rehearsal is going on, students not involved with the day's rehearsals may be sewing, painting, or working on props. 

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-27-2017 15:12
    I don't have a TD. Since I'm responsible for everything try to have my Stagecraft class work on the set as part of their various units. Regardless of the set I use I can connect it to the various units in the class. The kids work on everything from set design (where sometimes I'll find elements that I'll use in the show) to set construction to sound and lighting to props and costumes. Scenic painting is a big one that gets hit for this. We don't start it until the 2nd quarter of the class so that the foundations have already been addressed.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-27-2017 22:06
    There are no ideal solutions to this problem.

When you are a running a one-clown circus and are in charge of everything, like I was for many years, the best solution is to keep it simple.

Choose shows that require little scenery and technical elements. When they are required, be creative and make them as simple as possible while still being fully effective.

Also, schedule carefully so that you have days to work rehearsals and other days to work on technical elements.

Be sure build stock items and materials that can be used from show to show and year to year.

Accept the help of alumni, parents, and colleagues.

Finally, embrace the use of projections.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 10.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-28-2017 07:39
    Hi Brian,
    I'm currently in that position. We do not have a TD and I run the acting and technical aspects of a production on my own. What I've found that helps is electing Student technical directors (lovingly called STDs) to help out. I usually have one for costumes/props/make-up and one for set/lighting/sound. We have 2 work weekends where we  stay after school on Friday 3-8 and then work on Saturday 10-8 to get everything done. It usually takes 2 weekends. The STDs allow you to be in multiple places at once. Once you've had a few shows, you should have set pieces that you can reuse and not have the need to build from scratch (assuming you have storage space). I require ALL show participants to help out those weekends (if you have someone physically unable to build, I always send them to pass out posters and sell ads for the program).

I have a schedule I (try to) follow if you'd like some more information!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 11.  RE: How to Balance Rehearsals and Set Construction M?

Posted 11-29-2017 14:26
    Hi, Brian.  You may want to consider getting a Tech Class added to the curriculum, if there isn't a class already in place.  It may sound like a big job, and it is, but the benefits of having a tech class, or classes, will pay off over and over again.  At my former school, we grew a really healthy program from a couple classes/semester to a full teaching load within 5 years.  Advantages included:
    1. You'll have classes dedicated to basic construction.  This allows your more experienced, after school students the opportunity to do more advanced work (painting, foam work, specialty items, etc) instead of spending time building and legging platforms, stair units, flats, etc.
    2.  Lots of schools mandate a Fine Arts credit, and many students have performance anxiety.  They are kinesthetic learners who prefer to build things using their hands.  As our tech program got more popular, we grew to 9 semester sections of tech theatre.  These students found out in tech class that they really enjoyed doing tech, and we had as many after school tech applications as we had performance auditioners.  We had to add a touring children's theatre production to the season to provide more tech and acting opportunities.  We eventually added an independent study section dedicated to designers, actors, directors, painters, costume construction, etc.
    3.  Students really bought into the program, and our audiences grew with tech class students bringing their friends, neighbors, and families to see "their" sets, costumes, lighting, etc.
    4.  The production values of the shows improved, which pumped up the actors, and energized the parents, administrators, and district patrons, and we added staff and budget.  We had 2-1/2 theatre positions for a school of 1,200 students.
    5.  Our student Design Program led to the students taking more ownership in the program, and students had not only plans and renderings of their work, but actual production stills for their college portfolios.
    6.  The tech program got so popular that student designers and stage managers had the same status as lead actors.  The sense of company unity was palpable.

If you'd like some handouts I use in workshops regarding building a tech program and a student design program, please contact me at:
    Bob@InteractiveEducationalVideo.com
    and I'll send them as an attachment.

Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler
    Co-Developer
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC
    Chesterfield MORobertRobertRobert