Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mary Poppins Line Count

Posted 09-12-2019 22:24
    Before I spend a few hours this weekend counting, does any one have a line count for the characters in Mary Poppins? I've done the count of solo singing lines, and I know the scene breakdown, but I'd like to have the spoken line count as well to help judge the prominence of each role.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 2.  RE: Mary Poppins Line Count

Posted 09-13-2019 07:10
    Good morning!

I'm asking this question in a genuine spirit of understanding:  what is the purpose of a 'line count?"  I have never done this, and I'm sincerely interested in understanding why some directors do it.  Rationale, benefits, etc.

Many thanks!

Eric McNaughton
    Theatre Director
    Marist School
    AtlantaGA
    mcnaughtone@marist.com

• 3.  RE: Mary Poppins Line Count

Posted 09-13-2019 08:00
    It's one more set of data to work with - especially with a show that has about 30 named characters, some of whom I'll be doubling. A line count doesn't drive my casting (and sometimes has no effect on it at all), but being a former middle school math teacher, seeing things numerically helps me get a better grasp on the show.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: Mary Poppins Line Count

Posted 09-13-2019 10:17
    Thanks for this!

Eric McNaughton
    Theatre Director
    Marist School
    AtlantaGA
    mcnaughtone@marist.com

• 5.  RE: Mary Poppins Line Count

Posted 09-13-2019 10:30
    I do line counts (particularly for my 6-8th graders) because I inevitably get asked how many lines a role has.  I think some kids just need a concrete idea of how "big" or "small" a role is.  (Though I do explain that every role is important and has a purpose, otherwise the author wouldn't have bothered to include it.)

Also, doing a line count helps me in casting certain students.  I know that some struggle with memorizing lines, are low readers or just want a "small part",  so being able to quickly reference a line count is handy.  

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 6.  RE: Mary Poppins Line Count

Posted 09-14-2019 06:54
    Eric,
    Thank you for asking. I was wondering the same thing. I actually discourage line counts from the students when they start doing it as the relate number of lines to importance of characters. I tell them that if the playwright put the character in the play, there is a reason and the character is important.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH