Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Peter and the Starcatcher - Mollusks

Posted 11-07-2021 10:24
    I am directing Peter and the Starcatcher right now and curious if anyone here had additional conversations with your actors and community about the Mollusks and how they are represented. Especially when thinking about the way native people were originally represented in Peter Pan. Hoping to have an open dialogue with my ensemble as we embark on Peter and the Starcatcher. Looking forward to hearing any input!--

Jordan Fox (she/her/hers) | Area Advisor: Theatre, Performing Arts Teacher (Theatre)

Windward School | 11350 Palms Blvd | Los Angeles, CA 90066

Direct Line (424) 289-1131

For Appointments: jfox-2.youcanbook.me

jfox@windwardschool.org

A dynamic, engaging education. A nurturing, inclusive community.

-----------------

Please note the contents of this e-mail and any attachments are private, confidential, and intended for the recipient.  They may contain information subject to legal privilege and protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510 et seq.  Please also be sure to check any attachments for viruses before opening.  Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

• 2.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher - Mollusks

Posted 11-08-2021 07:51
    I didn't even need to bring it up with my students we all knew that portraying "natives" the way the traditional story does, is racist AF. The script itself addresses this by making them super Italian. We are leaning in hard on it with giant Whisks and Tongs as their weapons and chef hats etc.

------------------------------
    Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School

• 3.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher - Mollusks

Posted 08-29-2022 09:49
    I'm curious to know how this went for you, and how you addressed the elements that are still relying on stereotypes (even if doing so in a satirical way), ie the chanting, the way they speak English (not mimicking an Italian speaker's accent or grammar), the human sacrifice...while of course the show is trying to call out these stereotypes, it can also be reinforcing. Did your students ultimately feel positively about the conversation and find ways to make the satire clear in their performances?

Lauren Darby
    Teacher
    Iowa City High School

• 4.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher - Mollusks

Posted 08-29-2022 10:54
    Had a positive experience.  I guess I'm confused by your parentheses statement about not mimicking an Italian person's accent when doing the English lines.

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School

• 5.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher - Mollusks

Posted 08-30-2022 10:29
    I think you have to look at the story as a whole.  The Mollusk people ended up the stronger people in the end.  They actually mimicked the Europeans to degree.  Have your students dive into the language of the scenes to see what is actually said.  

In the production I did, I did a mini presentation on satire and the history of Peter Pan and where the inspiration for PATS came from.  Understanding that the satire lives on the stage and doesn't go out of the space into everyday life is important, because then the language ends up losing its meaning and can end up as hurtful.  Also, our Mollusks were dressed as chefs, with cooking utensils as their weapons.  

I did have some students who refused to the the show even before auditions because of what they saw.  They didn't even want to sit down and have a conversation.  But if you have a focused concept for the show, I think it can be done with the impact it is designed to have.

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster High School
    IN