Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Music Theatre International

Posted 08-25-2017 13:53
    I would like to find out if any other members out there have run into this issue. I was recently sent an over-due notice from MTI for the musical we did last spring. When I looked closely at the invoice, I saw (to my shock) that they had charged us $356 for shipping! I emailed asking if (of course) that was some kind of error, and it was not. Have others in this group been gouged so heavily for this same thing? Is there any recourse for this?

------------------------------
    Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 2.  RE: Music Theatre International

Posted 08-26-2017 08:41
    I got a perusal script from them once and then promptly sent it back per their instructions. They claimed that they never received it and therefore I owed them $40. I was told the only thing I could do was produce a tracking number, which my school didn't pay for in mailing it. We went around and around for years before I finally gave up and paid it, so we could do the show we wanted to do. When we finished that show and sent the materials back, they told us it had gone to the wrong address (even though it was still MTI) and our deposit was reduced by $90 for extra shipping charges. To answer your question, yes, we've had some issues, but none costing THAT much.  I'm using TRW this year.

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 3.  RE: Music Theatre International

Posted 08-26-2017 10:12
    It's been several years since we did a show with MTI, but as I recall the shipping was around $400.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: Music Theatre International

Posted 08-28-2017 11:27
    Weight-charges like that with MTI aren't terribly surprising -- the books and materials are both heavy and heavily insured.  They're also charging you for the shipping *to* and *from*, with likely some handling fees for restocking, etc.  I'm not sure how it breaks down, but since the scripts and music are proprietary and protected, I can imagine they have a lot of value to them as a company.

They also assess the S&H at the end, so it's an easy bill to miss after the show's come down, particularly if the bill was fully paid prior to the show.

Russell Paulette
    Rappahannock County Public Schools
    Washington VA

• 5.  RE: Music Theatre International

Posted 08-28-2017 14:13
    Looking back at the paperwork from my last MTI show, which was Pippin in 2014, we paid a $400 security deposit for the materials (which is refunded upon safe return of everything) and $550 to rent the materials. I can't find a separate invoice for shipping, but I'm guessing I paid between $50-$100 to ship it back. I always insure and track rented materials like that if I'm able. Tams Witmark charged me $40 in shipping for $28 worth of additional material, and I pitched a fit. Do you know who your actual rep is? If so, I suggest you contact him/her and try to figure out what's going on. They're usually pretty helpful. And the Post Office reminded me that we can use Media Mail when we ship materials back, which is much cheaper.

In my experience, each publisher has its pros and cons -- some are cheaper, some give you more materials, some give it to you longer. I have to go with whatever show best fits my program, no matter who publishes it. But I will say I've been considering a Theatrical Rights show this year, and they have been SO NICE! I'd definitely work with them in the future.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: Music Theatre International

Posted 08-30-2017 11:05
    MTI provides a steep learning curve in how to send back and deal with materials and all things weighty and expensive. When we first used them, our program wasn't talented enough to have an orchestra, so we had left all those books for the orchestra in the box. When we returned them, it was claimed by MTI that two books were missing. Since we never took out the original contents, we weren't able to ethically claim they were wrong, even though the error was likely more on their part when they packed it. We also scrimped on the shipping and didn't get insurance, so they were able to claim that the package arrived damaged, and charged for that too. 

I would recommend finding out who your rep is. My dealings with the MTI rep for Florida were always positive, and though there was delays and a lot of back and forth in resolving our issues, they were resolved to our satisfaction. 

After that, regardless of what company we used (as Casey said, you go with the company because you want the best show for your program, not necessarily because you just want to work with the licenser), we took everything out of the box, photographed all copies (in a stack, marked up photos later, etc.). We made sure that everything on the invoice was actually in the box, and were vigilant in getting every single book back before the show opened so that they were being shipped back well before the opening night to make deadlines. 

Essentially, it's a lot of CYA and upfront work to prevent headaches later. Sorry about your bill, that does sound like a lot! Try getting in touch with your area rep to work out what went awry.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 7.  RE: Music Theatre International

Posted 08-30-2017 16:13

Helpful hints:

Realize that your $400 security deposit is rarely refunded in whole because you do not pay shipping charges up-front. Actual UPS/FedEx/USPS fees are passed along plus IIRC a one-time $10 flat handling fee.

If you ask for express/rush/air delivery, the fees increase astronomically!  From 3 day to 2 day to overnight, a 40lb box of books can go from a standard $60 to over $300! Of course, weight and distance/zone from shipper's address have a lot to do with that calculation.

Also: every time you order an additional item a shipping fee is incurred. After your 'big box' arrives and you discover you need add'l scripts, orch books, etc: it's deducted from your security deposit. And if you ordered that package 'rush' - UPS/FedEx charges are very high.

If you ask your rep, they should be able to give you an itemization of those charges, instead of the sum total. Might shed some light.

One possible route to receiving your deposit back in total (may not be permitted any longer, but I have seen it done in the past): use your own UPS/FedEx account number. Billing to you as 3rd party, enables you to have an exact record of each charge. Requires extra diligence on the part of your rep, so be nice!

As far as missing books after shipping back, I have two words to say: bar codes. Some libraries switched from manually counting your books against the Packing Slip to scanning the books in/out. If a book is in pristine condition but the bar code is missing (it's a sticker, IIRC): it's possible to receive no credit for the book (because it can't be scanned in). The ink on that sticker could be rubbed off; there may be a mark on it --- many factors could inhibit a bar code being scanned.

ALWAYS keep your shipping receipt. If there's a discrepancy: the books have a known weight. A receipt should have the weight of your return box and a warehouse should be able to determine how much your materials should weigh in total. In cases of discrepancy, that receipt/proof can go a long way to receiving a credit. And always use a decent box to ship the books back: single books just 'show up' in the mail (by themselves) after 'escaping' boxes in transit. I.e., holes, rips, tears. Since an agency address is printed on the front of every book, the postal service will eventually send them along --- usually arriving months after your box was sent to a warehouse and your refund check had been issued. And always very very beat-up.

Hope this helps. 

Michael McDonough
    TRW - Director of Amateur Licensing
    New York

• 8.  RE: Music Theatre International

Posted 11-27-2017 10:36
    I personally haven't had any issues with returns with them. I check everything when it arrives and confirm I have everything back before I ship it. I also look for books that are damaged and/or not erased, take pictures and send those to the company (if necessary) so that I have a paper trail to prove we did not cause the damage. This might be the reason I haven't had problems. I also build about $150 into my budget for shipping returns. The last box I had to ship back was a little over 49 lbs so it wasn't surprising it cost a lot.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ