Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alumni attending conference as Chaperones

Posted 09-22-2018 09:22
    We are a new troupe. Last year was our first year attending our local state conference and my high school seniors loved it. They have contacted me this year and requested to attend State conference in March 2019 as chaperones. Have you ever had anyone request this? Are there any policies I should know about? Any concerns?

------------------------------
    Amanda Betz
    English/Theatre Instructor
    Zane Trace Local Schools
    Chillicothe, OH

• 2.  RE: Alumni attending conference as Chaperones

Posted 09-22-2018 15:28
    I know our school district has a policy that anyone working with or supervising students, including chaperones, must be at least 21 years old. You may want to check their policies as well.

---------------------------------
    Susan Cates
    Teacher/Theatre Director
    Madison Southern High School
    Berea KY
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Alumni attending conference as Chaperones

Posted 09-23-2018 10:14
    Our chaperones must be 21, background checked and parents of the students going or other educators.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Alumni attending conference as Chaperones

Posted 09-22-2018 15:43
    My current group of seniors has requested coming back after they graduate to help out as chaperones, assistant directors and so on.  While I haven't checked with my administration for their policy on this, I am hesitant to do so.  They are still too close in age to each other and many are friends.  There isn't enough separation yet.  I just don't see current students taking them seriously as authority figures nor am I 100% confident that the graduates would take their responsibilities seriously, well intentioned though they may be.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 5.  RE: Alumni attending conference as Chaperones

Posted 09-23-2018 07:31
    Most likely as other have replied, chaperones must be 21 (this is the policy in Howard County, MD). However, contact the festival organizers to see if they need volunteers. I have taken a few volunteers who act as door timers, and other assorted festival jobs.

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 6.  RE: Alumni attending conference as Chaperones

Posted 09-23-2018 08:23

I have to agree with Derek.  I made the mistake last year of having a previous year graduate assistant direct because she had incredible comedic timing and I knew she would be able to add something to the show.  Instead, I found out the hard way, she's more interested in hanging out with her Drama friends.  I'm not saying she didn't help, but they never took her seriously.  And after rehearsals they all went out and there never was the separation of students and adults because she obviously wasn't far enough removed yet.  

I think regarding conference it's just a request for them to go enjoy another conference.  I'm assuming they are all still friends with the current group.  I would be surprised if they would discipline or report them if needed or if the current attendees would take them serious.  

Just my 2 cents. 

Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA

• 7.  RE: Alumni attending conference as Chaperones

Posted 09-23-2018 15:48
    I refer those kids to the volunteer coordinator for the conference.  For NY, those kids cannot be chaperones (we have a 21+ policy), but they can be room volunteers, vendor volunteers (help vendors set up tables), runners (bringing supplies to workshop presenters, relaying messages to rooms, etc.), and panelists (we're trying to introduce a panel of "recent graduates" to give HS juniors and seniors an inside look at what to expect in college if they choose a BA, BFA, or conservatory program in theater).  They get a special "alumni" ribbon on their badges.

Sincerely,
    Lindsay

--
    Lindsay Shields
    NY Chapter Director Educational Theatre Association UA for the Performing Arts
    mobile: 917.952.4559
    site: www.buildingemilywarren.com
    email: lindsay.m.shields@gmail.com
    address: 76 Saint James Place Apt. 1A, Brooklyn, NY 11238
    Create your own signature

• 8.  RE: Alumni attending conference as Chaperones

Posted 09-27-2018 11:43
    I have used Alumni as Chaperone’s in GIrl Scouts. I would caution you not to use them as drivers though.
    I also use Alumni in the pit, on soundboard, spotlight, as Asst. Student Director, Assistant Stage Manager & Crew. And, I open our Cabaret Auditions to Alumni.
    It’s good to keep them involved!

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone