Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Grease, VS. Grease: School Addition

Posted 11-03-2014 17:45
    I'm planning on directing Grease this spring as our musical (based on the strong request from my principal). However, it's also very important to the school that the shows be appropriate and G rated so that all members of the community can come. I know there is a school edition of the musical available that has lyric and script changes and takes out, "There are worse things I could do", my favorite song :'-( . Has anyone performed this version? My concern is that it's going to be TOO watered down and seem more like a kids, or junior version of a show and not be worthwhile for the performers. I'd love to get some feed back.

-Zach

-------------------------------------------
    Zachary Mazouat
    Morristown NJ

• 2.  RE: Grease, VS. Grease: School Addition

Posted 11-04-2014 11:23
    We did Grease - The School Edition three years ago and it was incredibly successful.  Yes, there is the drawback of some revisions that reduce the significance of a couple of characters but it does remove much of what might be considered objectionable.  The show was extremely well received and I did not hear any complaints from patrons about what was excluded - they were so pleased with what was in the show.

Very worth considering.

Cheers,

William Jacobsen
    Red Deer AB

• 3.  RE: Grease, VS. Grease: School Addition

Posted 11-04-2014 12:16
    The school version does generate a G-rated show but still has enough of the music to make it a positive experience.  Verses are dropped from a number of songs but I've performed it during a 19-day summer program with high school age actors and it still works. It can be a one or two act show, but the acts will be short.  If affords you the opportunity to bring in elementary age audience members for a positive, fun experience that might very well nurture future additional actors to your program.  Elevate your production values: set and lighting.  Shorter dance numbers give added rehearsal time for more involved choreography.  In the future, incrementally choose shows that move you to the kind of material you want to direct.  I started with a B-musical, Our Town, The PJ Game and finished my career doing RENT, the full version of RAGTIME, The Laramie Project, The Who's TOMMY and the like. 

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 4.  RE: Grease, VS. Grease: School Addition

Posted 11-04-2014 17:47
    I did the school version of Grease two years ago. It was a great show. It kept the spirit of the show in a G rated version. The kids had a blast. I liked this version better than the questionable material presented in the original. It did not feel like a Junior Version. ------------------------------------------- Michael Stofko Teacher Wilkes Barre PA -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Grease, VS. Grease: School Addition

Posted 11-04-2014 20:06
    I directed Grease last spring, the full version, and did not have any problems.  The biggest complaint I heard was that several songs from the movie are not in the stage play (and you have to pay extra for those rights, and I did not).  I am in the Des Moines metro area, and even though it is a rapidly growing community, it is still pretty conservative in many aspects.  The kids had a great time with it, and my administrators came several times to see it (unheard of for them).  And if you were closer I would offer to sell you our "Greased Lighting", which looks great!  Have a great show...

Cary Shapiro
    Ankeny IA

• 6.  RE: Grease, VS. Grease: School Addition

Posted 11-12-2014 12:15
    I am the Musical Director each spring and we did the school version last April.  When I first read through the script, I felt that some of the lines were a bit silly but because there are so many lines, the few that I thought seemed "watered down" just blended in.  We are a private, Christian school and I MUST watch the content of everything that we produce.  Our families loved it, the students begged to "take it on the road' and it pumped new life into a very small program.

I have several items that I would be happy to part with if it would be beneficial to both of us.  I know that it is a long way to ship things, but we could consider it.  I have a variety of costumes and props that might fit into your show if you decide to select it for this year.

If you have more specific questions, just email me.

Ellen Starkey
    Drama/Vocal Teacher
    Baton Rouge LA