Open Forum

View Only

Script Advice

• 1.  Script Advice

Posted 04-19-2016 22:21

I am looking for a large cast play (non-musical) with a strong male lead. We have recently done..

The Sparrow

The Crucible

Peter Pan

Letters to Sala

Midsummer

Our Town

Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-20-2016 09:00

Several years ago we did "Elephant's Graveyard" by George Brant. It's an ensemble cast of 13, but it provides a nice opportunity for a male lead to shine as the ringmaster. I think it's a great script and is available through Samuel French.

------------------------------
    Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake Beach, IL

• 3.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-20-2016 09:33

And, while I'm thinking about it, the genders of many of the characters is flexible. 

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 4.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-20-2016 10:26

First of all,  I am directing Letters to Sala in the fall and would love any suggestions,  help, advice you can give. 

Second

Most Shakespeare works have lots of flexibility for casting large numbers and gender can often be changed

To See the Stars

The Giver and/or Gathering Blue

The Mouse That Roared 

• 5.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-21-2016 11:06

Oh I love "Letters to Sala" so much. It may be my favorite show I've directed.

We got the Sala's letters exhibit from NYC and displayed them before and after the show. It was awesome. I also had a Holocaust speaker come and speak before each show.

Andrea Gustafson
    Morris IL

• 6.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-22-2016 07:57

Helen -- I have an updated script for LETTERS TO SALA (from the Off-Broadway production last fall) that includes a new scene and a few changes. Let me know if you would like a manuscript copy. You can reach me through my website and I'm happy to answer any questions for you or help in any way I can.
    Thanks for producing LETTERS TO SALA. It means a lot to Sala and her family that the story is being told and used as a message for peace and understanding. I'm very happy that a play with so many roles for young women is receiving recognition and productions around the country. Please give my best wishes to your cast and crew in the fall and send me photos.

FYI -- The Off-Broadway cast is presenting two concert-version performances at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in downtown Manhattan on May 15th.

Arlene Hutton
    playwright
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-20-2016 10:44

I just finished "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" adapted by Tim Kelly. It has three male leads, and Frollo and Pierre are challenging acting parts. Total speaking parts is 27.

• 8.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-20-2016 12:57
    Richard Cory, based on the verses from The Spoonriver Anthology.

• 9.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-20-2016 13:49

Kaufman and Hart's "The Man Who Came to Dinner" I did this fall with a cast of thirty, and Sheridan Whiteside is a great lead.  A classic comedy with a unit set and family friendly.

"Robin Hood" we did with a cast of fourty,  there are several versions.

"Three Musketeers" we are going to do with a cast of fourty with the version from Pioneer Playhouse on Playscripts.

Ken Ludwig's "Treasure Island" has a flexible cast of 15+

Larry Shue's "The Foreigner" is a farce with a primary cast of seven, and townspeople added, with the lead role being Charlie Baker, the foreigner.

The role of Black Stash is great if he is comedic in "Peter and the Starcatcher"

For two period pieces, there is Mozart in "Amadeus" and Tom Jones in "The History of Tom Jones"

Dr. Victor Frankenstein is a great role with possible tie ins to your English Curriculum, or if you like the interdisciplinary approach, "The Crucible" has John Proctor and you can always add plenty of townspeople

• 10.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-21-2016 11:12

How about Larry Shue's The Nerd or The Elephant Man by Bernard Pomerance

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 11.  RE: Script Advice

Posted 04-22-2016 07:59

Arsenic and Old Lace has a great male lead role, if he can do comedy.

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA