Open Forum

View Only

How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

• 1.  How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-28-2020 22:03
    Hi Everyone-

I have a student who is interesting in continuing theatre studies in college but particularly in all facets of physical theatre. Do you have any program recommendations?

Additionally, do you have advice for students who are preparing for virtual college auditions? What are some of your favorite active/physical monologues to use for auditions and how have you coached students for virtual college theatre auditions?

Many thanks,

------------------------------
    Christina Vincent
    Director of Theatre
    The Woodhall School
    Bethlehem, CT

• 2.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-29-2020 08:34
    Christina, 

Coastal Carolina in Conway, SC has an excellent BFA in Physical Theatre. I have had 3 students go through this degree. Pre Covid they spent a semester in Italy studying. Check it out. Conway is just at Myrtle Beach, SC. 

Angela Howard
    SJHS

Angela Howard
    Drama/Musical Theate/Showchoir Teacher
    Horry County Schools.
    Murrells Inlet SC

• 3.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-29-2020 12:13
    Angela and Katie, thank you so much for the tips! Katie, I will email you about your former student!

• 4.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-29-2020 08:59
      |   view attached
    Christina,
    It's looking like almost all college theatre programs will be holding virtual auditions. My students are used to filming their pre-screen auditions, but that's been a means to an end: getting through to a live audition. So, there's a lot riding on these this year. Other than the acting, I'm not experienced in camera angle, lighting, etc. And while I know that talent is identifiable no matter what, I can't help but think that after viewing hundreds of videos, these technical elements matter.
    I have a former student who has formed a small company focused on coaching high school students for the college audition. She has film experience (she played Sasha in NBC's RISE) and her partners are Broadway performers. They are cheaper than some of the bigger services out there. This isn't a promotion of their company so much as a resource offer that some of my students are taking advantage of. Erin (my former student) is a terrific coach and incredibly nurturing. 

Katie Blackerby Weible
    Theatre Dept Chair
    Youth Performing Arts School
    @duPont Manual High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-29-2020 14:30
    Hi Christina,

I highly recommend the book No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities, Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond by Erik Stein. It is extremely helpful when preparing for college auditions.   There is a whole section on video auditions as well.   Erik is the casting director, instructor, and an actor at PCPA (Pacific Conservatory Theatre) in Santa Maria, California.   Our high school is very close to PCPA and we have been fortunate to have Erik give workshops, direct shows, and he has been on many of our casting panels.  He has coached many of our students as they prepare for their college auditions throughout the country.   Erik also has been a presenter for many of the California State Thespian Conferences on the topic of auditions.  I think the book is an excellent source and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Also, if you are looking for programs to consider, PCPA is a wonderful physical theatre training conservatory.    You can check it out at this website.   wwwpcpa.org

I hope this helps,

Robyn Metchik
    Nipomo High School Theatre

Robyn Metchik
    Director
    Nipomo CA

• 6.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-29-2020 15:44
    Robin, thank you so much for these recommendations!

• 7.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-29-2020 16:56

Christina,

Erik Stein's book No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities, Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond is a great resource!   

Here's the Amazon link to it:  amazon.com/Caution-Step-Step-Universities-Conservatories/dp/0578549735

Erik is currently the Casting Director at Pacific Conservatory Theatre (also known as PCPA) in Santa Maria, California, where he has been a resident artist for many years.   Erik not only serves as Casting Director, he also teaches and performs with PCPA.   I've worked at PCPA during the summer season for the last decade, teaching as part of their Young People's Project.   Erik has come in several times to give the students audition advice.   He is specific in naming things to do and not to do.  I was so pleased when he turned his knowledge into a book!  It's been very helpful for my students who want that on-hand resource.   

As far as recommendations for a physical theatre program, PCPA is a wonderful conservatory program, offering both acting and technical training through a partnership with Allan Hancock College.  Their overall site is www.pcpa.org with more information specifically about the conservatory program here:  https://www.pcpa.org/conservatory1/

I've had seven students (maybe more?) go through the program over the years and they've all had good things to say about it.    Some conservatory students come straight from high school and some come from university program, looking to further build their skills and resumes as they head into the professional world.  No matter where they start, Erik and his colleagues at PCPA are wonderful at meeting the students where they are and helping them find their way forward as artists as well as in the business of theatre.

Best wishes to your student (and to you)!

Sarah

Sarah Barthel
    Drama Director
    Visual & Performing Arts Department Chair
    Lompoc, CA

• 8.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-29-2020 17:26
    Sarah, we just ordered the book after hearing from you guys! Thanks so much!!

• 9.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-29-2020 18:17
    That's great!  I hope you love it as much as we have!

Sarah Barthel
    Theatre Director
    Visual & Performing Arts Department Chair
    Thespian Troupe 779
    Lompoc, CA

• 10.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-30-2020 03:42
    Hello! I am a professional acting and college audition coach  and co-wonder of the College Audition Project. I would be more than happy to answer any questions about this crazy college audition year, so please feel free to reach out!If you want to add another book to your collection,  I also co-authored The College Audition Workbook (available on Amazon) and we just released our new edition with a new chapter about setting up for virtual live auditions and self-taping. It is a practical workbook with info about the process as well as worksheets and timelines to use. I am all about helping whomever I can get through this crazy process, especially this year!
    I also second the comment about Coastal Carolina and their Physical Theatre degree program. I have students attend that program and it offers great training and opportunities!

Michelle J. Evans
    Acting & College Audition Coach
    www.mjeactingstudio.com

• 11.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-30-2020 12:38
    Michelle, I can't wait to check out this book too! Thank you so much!

• 12.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-30-2020 14:43
    If your student is looking for a top notch physical theatre program, consider the world renowned Dell'Arte International, the international school of physical theatre, located in Blue Lake, CA. It has several programs to consider.

Also, since folx were sharing resources, another great one as a companion is the newly released book Preparing for College Theatre by Roman Sanchez; click the title for ordering information. More info about Roman Sanchez here: https://www.americantheatre.org/2018/12/14/6-theatre-workers-you-should-know-29/.

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 13.  RE: How to prep students for virtual college theatre auditions and recommendations for physical theatre

Posted 09-30-2020 16:44
    Jo, great resources! Thank you so much.

I have been so blown away by all of the help on this topic! Thanks again everyone!