Open Forum

View Only

The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

• 1.  The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-09-2018 11:54
    ​Hi all,

We just closed a massively successful production of The Wedding Singer at my small private school (thanks to people who responded to a thread about it last year) and I'm already looking ahead. I think I've narrowed down my field to the two shows mentioned in the subject line-I was in Urinetown this past summer and love it, and Chaperone is gaining more and more steam in my mind as a great way to introduce the time period in a way today's teenagers might latch on to a little more willingly (sarcasm, jokes, observations on how silly the time was in theater history).

My very open ended question is simply: do people have a lot of experience with either show in the high school, school-year musical setting? I did Urinetown as a summer show, so we could "get away" with more in terms of scheduling and long rehearsals. Just curious what thoughts people have regarding the two!

------------------------------
    Andrew Fallu

• 2.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-09-2018 13:03
    My kids LOVED working on URINETOWN! So many fun roles, so much creative flexibility. And other than the name, nothing objectionable to a high school audience.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-09-2018 16:27
    We just finished Urinetown and both students and the audience loved it. It's listed on MTI as PG13, but I would call it a mild PG (we played down the killings near the end). Except for two scenes, the poor, the rich and the police mainly stick to themselves, so that makes things easy to manage rehearsal-wise. The poor ensemble get a lot of stage time, and you can find ways to increase stage time for the cops if those roles are not doubled (we brought them out for both Act I and Act II finales.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-10-2018 14:36
    The Drowsy Chaperone remains one of my students' all-time favorite musical productions.  You do need a student who has the acting skills to portray The Man in the Chair.  Lots of great featured roles. Heartwarming and so much fun.   I highly recommend the show.  If you choose to go with Drowsy rather than Urinetown (such different show!!) I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Kathleen Woods
    Cupertino CA

• 5.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-14-2018 13:18
    I was considering The Drowsy Chaperone but I was concerned about the possible backlash we may receive with "Message from a Nightingale." How did you address the racist undertones in the song/scene so that the performers and/or audience were aware that it is satire and less likely to be offended?

Waleksa Mendoza
    Teacher
    San Bruno CA

• 6.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-16-2018 12:31
    I was concerned about how that scene would be received as well.  I talked with a colleague who had done Drowsy the year before.  She teaches at a high school with a similar population to ours (high achieving, economically advantaged, interested in equity, ethnically diverse including a significant Asian-American population).  They included the scene and she said it was very well-received.  I trusted her word and experience.

The scene is so obviously ridiculous and reflects an old way of thinking; no one took offense.  The students loved playing the over-the-top characters.

Kathleen Woods
    Cupertino CA

• 7.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-18-2018 23:28
    This was my main concern, as I am sure it is the main concern of many other directors. And like yourself, the advice I keep getting is to just lean into it as much as possible and make sure you play it in a way that highlights the fact it is poking fun at the past, NOT stating it as some sort of fact. I am still nervous though, in a school with a sizable Asian-American population.

Andrew Fallu

• 8.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-17-2018 05:14
    We had an incredible time doing The Drowsy Chaperone.  You need a good actor for Man in Chair, but other than that have fun casting!  We ended up using ensemble members to do the "Asian" scene and use puppets inspired by Bunraku, so the "offensiveness" was in the puppets not in the actors and it made the entire scene even more ridiculous.  Not only did the audience love it, but Lisa Lambert (the lyricist) came one night and she loved it.

As far as Urinetown goes, I find the show has a lot of great music, but personally I think the ending is weak.  Every time I look at that show, I get to the end and am disappointed.  Not totally sure what it is.

Good Luck!

Justin Indovina
    Director/Dept. Chair
    Brooklyn NY

• 9.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-18-2018 16:26
    Your puppet idea sounds intriguing. Did your team create or purchase the puppets? Would you happen to have photos? It's hard to visualize, especially how it would to have small puppets on such a large stage.

Waleska Mendoza
    Teacher
    San Bruno CA

• 10.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-13-2018 13:41
    I do not really find Urinetown to be pg-13 other than maybe the title, and it is always very popular with both students and audiences it seems. I recently considered it and had a different issue, though: Is this really a message to share with kids right now? It just seems so cynical and dismissive of activism. I would hate to put that on kids. Am I missing something here?

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 11.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-18-2018 23:30
    That is an angle I didn't even consider, especially given the current state of intense activism in students across the country today. Thank you for bringing that up!

Andrew Fallu

• 12.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-19-2018 23:04
    Drowsy has a lot of special needs: roller skating dude, the 'showing off' number, the slightly ridiculous seduction scene between Aldolpho and the Chaperone...and yes, the Man in Chair. 

It is such an over the top musical, though, and as others have said, just lean in to the material. It is written in such a way that it is obvious even on just the printed page that this musical is savaging the worse excesses of the time period it's exploring, and in a way that makes an audience think about the underlying tension as they laugh out loud. Played for laughs, you shouldn't have a problem, though check in with your community standards as to whether it would fly. If you did the Wedding Singer, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Students love it, and I think adults would get a big kick out of it. It's certainly one of my favorite shows ever.

Such an interesting point re: cynicism of activism in Urinetown. How things can change in the blink of an eye in the world. 

Ultimately, choose what you think best based on your gut, your students, and the excellent advice you've got here in this thread. 

Tough choice, really!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 13.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-20-2018 09:33
    I'm actually in production on Drowsy Chaperone right now. I'll echo what a lot of people have said already- the show is hilarious while actually having a very heartfelt and touching ending that both the kids and audiences I think will come to love. I know my students have fallen in love with the show and there are so many moments that I know will be huge laughs and audience pleasers. Not to mention the music is a great way to introduce the jazz age style- it's a nice blend of traditional big band numbers with a slightly contemporary edge to them.

There are some special needs to the show- I knew I had an excellent tapper this year, a girl that could dance/juggle/ride a unicycle in addition to a VERY strong pool of talent in my senior class. I knew I needed an ensemble show to feature them all, so Drowsy became a no-brainer after I mulled it over. Ultimately, do what's best for your kids. First and foremost, I always consider what style musicals I've done the last two years and try to pick something different, so students get a "well-rounded" experience over their three years in our high school. I also consider message/theme and how many students I can count on to "feature" in some way. 

I'm not knocking Urinetown at all- I have seen it and love the recording. I have been tentative about picking it because of the unappealing title and the flack I know I would get over it. However, in terms of objectionable content, Drowsy definitely takes the cake with the racial slurs, "seduction" and alcohol references. The man in chair makes it very clear that these are tropes to the Golden Age musical that are actually being poked fun at, and I think the audience will understand it is in satire.

Ben Cossitor
    Drama Director
    Altoona Area High School
    Altoona, PA

• 14.  RE: The Drowsy Chaperone vs. Urinetown

Posted 03-26-2018 11:16
    There are big advantages to both shows...

Both shows are not necessarily popular with mainstream audiences. They are one of those shows that once you see them, you love them!! We did Drowsy Chaperone my junior year of high school and our director said it was between that, Urinetown and Curtains and he chose Drowsy because of how lovable the characters are and just what our group could and want to do. 

The biggest questions are:

Drowsy: Do you have a man in chair? The show is reliant on that character because he never gets time off stage.
    Do you have the tap dancers for "Cold Feets"? 

Vocally the show isn't much of a challenge despite some traditional belty numbers with Janet, Trix and the Chaperone.

Urinetown: Do you have a Bobby and Penny Pennywise? Very challenging vocal roles that can really make or break the show. 

The music is a little bit more of a challenge in this show and that is more of because there is more music. Drowsy would be a safer choice pending on how you do your rehearsal process in terms of time. Drowsy is an hour and a half without the optional intermission. Urinetown is a longer show but both are equally as fun. The decision comes down to who you have in your group. If you have people for both shows, you can't go wrong with either decision. Every person I have met has loved working on either show!!

I hope this helps.

Brian Percival
    Emporia KS