Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Substitute Teacher Activities for Theatre Classes

Posted 09-24-2013 12:30
    As many of you prepare to head off to our annual Conference this week, what kinds of activities are you leaving for your substitute teachers?

-------------------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association

• 2.  RE:Substitute Teacher Activities for Theatre Classes

Posted 09-25-2013 18:13
    They work on their current script or easy improv activities that manageable for a sub. ------------------------------------------- Charlene Thomas -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE:Substitute Teacher Activities for Theatre Classes

Posted 09-27-2013 13:22
    ------------------------------------------- Sara Lee ------------------------------------------- I left activities for my advanced classes that were pretty student driven. The history of Broadway series from PBS is a great resource that I use because the information is great and it engages the kids every time.

• 4.  RE:Substitute Teacher Activities for Theatre Classes

Posted 09-28-2013 10:35
    This is always a tough one.  I am luck to have found an alumni that can cover for me sometimes.  He just graduated college subs for our county.  Now at some point I am sure he will get a full time job and it will be harder to just let the kids keep working on their projects. 

I sometimes will leave a script for the sub to read with a class while I am gone.  The Bob Fowler DVDs are always good.  They have great lessons with it as well.   

Steven Fleming
    Lead Technical Theatre Teacher
    Howard County Public School System

• 5.  RE:Substitute Teacher Activities for Theatre Classes

Posted 09-28-2013 11:33
    I have an arts-friendly sub who can take on pretty much anything so I left the plans I would have done myself! If the plans run long or short, I am confident she can vamp as need. ------------------------------------------- Irene Imboden Teacher/ Drama Director Troy City Schools -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE:Substitute Teacher Activities for Theatre Classes

Posted 09-28-2013 11:33
    I am having students do speaking activities and instead of having the sub grade them on my rubric, I am having the sub use a Flipcam from the library to record their activities.  I will then view the taped speeches when I return and grade them in a similar manner to the speeches I graded before I left...to ensure consistency across students.

I also sent all the kids a link to a webquest they could complete in small groups of twos and threes...where they had to analyze famous speeches online and collaboratively decided what worked and what didn't

Anna Michaelson
    Teacher/Director
    Dakota Valley High School

• 7.  RE:Substitute Teacher Activities for Theatre Classes

Posted 09-28-2013 16:23
    I have an amazing student teacher this semester from University of Northern Colorado and she covered Thursday. Friday was a PD day for my whole school.

Laurilea Williams
    Theatre Director
    Headstrong Theatre