Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Teaching Stage Lighting

Posted 11-15-2016 09:05

I'm trying to get my Theatre 2 classes proficient in stage lighting and I'm stuck. We've gone over types of lights and the parts of the instrument themselves. We're working on them being able to identify the lights, etc., but I don't know how to teach the process of lighting design/hanging/focusing/programming/etc. to them. I know how to do it, but I can't seem to put it into a transferable format. Does anyone have a suggestion for a video, worksheet, lesson or something that I can use to help with this? (Our district competition is this week and my brain is fried. I'm sure that doesn't help.)

I'd be eternally grateful! Thanks!!

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Teaching Stage Lighting

Posted 11-16-2016 07:06

In terms of designing, I use a set model and several small flash lights with scraps of gel taped to them to simulate the actual stage - it's easy, inexpensive & gives them at least the basics in the effects of color & angles. Hope that helps.

• 3.  RE: Teaching Stage Lighting

Posted 11-16-2016 07:18

I've found it successful to let them do it hands on and teach each other. I teach 1 or 2 students how to hang and focus, then they each teach another student. I stay nearby to supervise and help if needed. They tend to pay more attention if they know they have to teach it :)

I usually pair this with some papwork for while they are waiting their turn- usually labeling parts of the mixer.

Sarah Serbus
    Theatre Director
    Union R-XI School District
    Washington MO

• 4.  RE: Teaching Stage Lighting

Posted 11-17-2016 08:09

These are some simple assignments I do with my Theater Arts class.  You can modify them however you'd like.  I've been scouring this internet for a year plus looking for good technical theater lessons, so I'll be interested to see what others have to say!

Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.statt@lakotaonline.com

Attachment(s)

docx
    The Light Board.docx   13 KB 1 version
    docx
    Light for Living.docx   11 KB 1 version
    docx
    Lighting Assignment.docx   12 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Teaching Stage Lighting

Posted 11-16-2016 10:37

Hi there!

One of the most effective projects I ever assigned was the lighting project.  We spent class time going over the "theory" and the "basics".  However, I then sent them on their way.  I believe the best way to learn lighting is by just doing it.  

I divided the class into 5 groups, there was a writer, a director, a programmer an LD and an electrician in each group.  I assigned them each a section of two electrical battens.  From there I required that they write a scene and produce it on stage - minus the acting part.  Each team member had their own responsibility, but they all worked collectively together.  

Once they had their scenes, they lit and hung their show within their section of the batten.  All along, everyone was completing a production journal.  They had to have 3 or 4 different looks for the same scene.  On presentation day, they presented their looks and then had to explain their choices with everything, from the inspiration for the scene, the research, the colors, patterns, textures, etc.

After that project, I was so impressed with what my kids came up with...plus it was fun for them and fun to watch!  

I hope this helps!

Timothy Frost
    Technical Theatre Director
    Ridge Community High School
    Davenport FL

• 6.  RE: Teaching Stage Lighting

Posted 11-17-2016 09:59

Hi,

This is a tough one in that there are a variety of ways to teach elements of lighting. That being said, lessons on hanging, circuiting, cable management, use of gobos, reading a plot and understanding lighting conventions can fill several class days.

When we learn how to hang a light, we have a specific documented sequence (clamp on pipe (finger tight), safety cable, tighten the clamp, pull shutters). Make sure that the cable is free enough to allow you to focus the light.

Do they understand:

1. which lights are appropriate for a task

2. how to calculate for intensity

3. how to calculate beam spread

4. the impact of gel color on intensity

5. impact of gel color on costume color?

6. basic knowledge about electrical needs (lamp wattage, dimmer capacity, amperage allowances)

7. Communication protocol DMX 512 (especially if using multi-parameter fixtures)

8. How to wrap cable

9. How to change a lamp

10. How to clean a fixture

11. How to wire a plug and/or connector

12. How to insert a gobo

13. How to focus (run the barrel, spin the bottle, etc.)

Light Board Programming

1. How to access lights

2. How to patch

3. Create and record submasters (looks)

4. Write/record cues

5. Change fade times

6. Create auto follow cues

Virtually all of these are just the mechanics of lighting and should be part of the skills/knowledge set of our

student technicians. I think it is important to learn about design and artistic elements of lighting and certainly you

have to understand color and fixture functionality do design intelligently. However, most of the work

in the "real world" involves actually knowing how to do the work that will realize the design.

Hope this helps,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 7.  RE: Teaching Stage Lighting

Posted 11-17-2016 18:35

One way to teach lighting is by re-creation examples.  Take them to some common settings that would occur in a play scene (cafe, sidewalk / street, living room / apartment, office, etc.) and have a couple of actors strike a pose representative of how the audience would see them.  Have the others take photos from the audience's perspective.  Take both black & white and color pictures (no flash, non-auto mode if possible so the camera aperture remains the same).  Note the time of day of the scene if it is outdoors or the space has large windows.

If you have time and a light meter, record the light intensity at various directions around the performer's faces.  This, too can be compared to the results.

Upon return to the classroom / light lab / black box / stage, place the actors in the same pose and costume dress.  The task is to re-create the scene with all the facial shadows, harsh light, soft light, etc., so that when the photographs are repeated under controlled stage lighting, they come-out looking the same as the originals.  The black & white pictures can reveal a lot about intensity and shadow-play, and the color pictures can teach about the color content of the light.

This will teach them about front / back / side lighting, time-of-day-angle-of-the-sun, cloudy vs. overcast, incandescent vs. fluorescent lights, and many other things.

Maybe for extra credit you can do some night scenes, too.  Those are more difficult to light while keeping the scene from being too bright.

If you have some stock scenery flats (with or without Doors and Windows) you can take to the scene of the photo shoot, this can provide some reference surfaces in the background of the photos.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 8.  RE: Teaching Stage Lighting

Posted 11-17-2016 21:22

I really like everyone’s ideas! Here’s another… Do you have a Black Box theatre or other space you can use as a “lab”? With a light lab (of some fashion) you can create composition exercises – after you’ve taught the basics. Here’s a composition project for dance lighting (you could do the same with portions of scripts for a play). Hang a simple rep plot, be sure to include lights from all angles, including in this case, side (dance) lighting. Have students (in small groups, or independently if you don’t have a large class) choose a song or piece of music (school-appropriate of course, and not too long!). Allow each group/student to add one or two specials to the existing plot. They could perhaps also be allowed to change the gel colors in the side lighting. Place a few objects on the stage (you don’t want to get distracted from the task at hand by students being silly dancing around the stage) such as chairs, ladders, etc. Students should drape these objects with clothing or cloth that is the costume color of their imaginary dancers. Then, using the existing rep plot and their special(s) each group/student designs 3 cues (not including the initial lights up and blackout). Each group will need some design time, so have other things for the rest of the class to do while that happens. At the “performance” look for the composition and cues to be motivated by the costume colors, the mood of the music, lyrics, changes in the music, imaginary choreography, etc. There should be a clear motivation for the composition of each cue. Each cue’s intensity, color, angle and timing should also be motivated. There should be continuity within the cues and the style should be consistent. Create a rubric with these criteria and have students submit ‘peer reviews’ as well as your grading. Enjoy!

Beth Rand
    Author of: "The High School Theatre Lighting Rep Plot" and "High School Theatre Operations"
    High School Theatre Manager and HS Theatre Operations Coach
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    www.RCDTheatreOps.com
    Woodinville, WA