Open Forum

View Only

Favorite historical or literary drama?

• 1.  Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-03-2017 15:35
    Hey all. I'm looking for something dramatic that is either based in history or literature. I've already done Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Diary of Anne Frank, a couple of Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein, Jack the Ripper, and an Agatha Christie. 

I'm looking at Lizzie Borden but I don't know if my admin will okay it. I have a good mix of males and females and am looking for something with a lot of depth but that doesn't push the line too much. Ideas?

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 2.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-03-2017 16:19
    There is a great script for 1984 available on Dramatic Publishing that we did last year. The kids had a lot of fun with it!

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-03-2017 18:00
    I adore Northanger Abbey, and there are a few versions to choose from!

Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-03-2017 22:12
    If you're looking to stay dark with your content, perhaps Patrick Hamilton's Rope based broadly on the Leopold and Loeb murders? (Leopold and Loeb have a ton of plays written about them, including John Logan's extraordinary Never the Sinner.) Patrick Hamilton also wrote Angel Street, which was eventually turned into the film Gaslight, and feels . . . somewhat timely.

I've also read about a few high schools doing Marat/Sade now, which blows my mind in the best way possible.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 5.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-04-2017 07:40
    We as are having a lot of fun with pride & prejudice by Helen Jerome. 10 m 16f. 

• 6.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-04-2017 07:50
    Radium Girls is a good one. Those who worked making watch dials phosphorescent were told it was safe. Nope. Great opportunities for stage makeup, too, as their faces deteriorate. (This led to the creation of OSHA, though that's not mentioned in the play).

Douglas Rome
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Fairfax County Public Schools
    Burke VA

• 7.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-04-2017 08:11
    We did a theatre in the round production of 12 Angry Men, no intermissions - 85 minutes straight through last fall. It was a great challenge for my students & everyone who saw it loved it.

Melissa Purdy
    Westminster High School
    Westminster MD

• 8.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-04-2017 09:14
    I've done Raisin in the Sun, and The Miracle Worker.  Also on my list to do: The Great Gatsby, any Shakespeare, and MASH (not literary but historical). A friend of mine is doing Anne of Green Gables. - The Crucible is always a relevent classic too. You got me thinking - Great question!

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, MD

• 9.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-04-2017 10:00
    What about Les Liasons Dangereuses? Only about 10 characters, but great play.

• 10.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-04-2017 17:43
    THE MIRACLE WORKER was one of my absolute favorites. From literature also, Christina Calvit’s A ROOM WITH A VIEW, Willis Hall’s JANE EYRE, and don’t forget TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. A ROOM WITH A VIEW is a wonderful little romance that can be staged very theatrically that high school audiences really loved. It has some great comedic moments. For the skinny dipping section, we put the guys in one piece long johns.

Jill Campbell
    State College Area High School
    ARTsmART(Learning Enrichment/Gifted Support)
    Director State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    jkc11@scasd.org

• 11.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-05-2017 12:04
    You guys are awesome - I love all these ideas!

- Arden

Arden Thomas
    Teaching Artist, Theater
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 12.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-05-2017 13:43
    Mad Forest by Caryl Churchill!

Arden Thomas
    Teaching Artist, Theater
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 13.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-05-2017 14:51
    Some of my favorites:

The Outsiders
    Rumblefish
    Bury the Dead by Irwin Shaw
    The Effect of Gamma Rays On Man-in the Moon Marigolds
    Farenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury (adaptation is weak but it can work with a little creativity. Excellent opportunity for staging, costumes, props, soundtrack etc.) - Sadly, kind of timely again

Best,

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 14.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-05-2017 15:34
    A Piece of My Heart is a beautiful historical play - and there are veterans still around who can discuss their experiences with your students.  The cast can be expanded and I would recommend using more than 1 man; I thought it was disconcerting when a soldier died and then walked off.  When I directed it, I had enough men that all bodies were carried off.

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 15.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-06-2017 07:37
    ​We do a lot of historical here. I recommend Triangle or These Shining Lives. Both are meaty and challenging without being TOO mature for high school actors or audiences. Nice women-centric historical connections to events that not everyone knows about.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 16.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-06-2017 10:11
    Thanks everyone and keep them coming. I probably should have mentioned that I tried to get approval for Inherit The Wind a few years ago and was told I wasn't allowed to do it...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 17.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-06-2017 11:32
    I've always wanted to produce that play if I had strong males.  Shame on your district for not letting you do it.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 18.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-06-2017 11:02
    All the Way or parts of/the whole shebang of Kentucky Cycle. Great writing, the former based on LBJ of course, and the Kentucky Cycle following the path of a family over several generations in US history. Definitely dark enough for you, though some content might push it over a little bit. 

Amadeus is always a fun prospect. 

My new favorite is 'Is He Dead?', a David Ives adaptation of a (I think never performed originally) Mark Twain play. Very, very funny and approximately close enough to farce, but that doesn't quite fit your list. It does fit the literary/history angle, though...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 19.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-06-2017 15:05

I'm looking at doing The Elephant Man next year. Beautiful period play based on actual events. You can probably reuse a lot of your Dracula, Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper costumes as it's the same time period. You need to deal with Mrs. Kendal baring her breasts to Merrick in a pivotal scene but I've always seen it done with the actress' back to the audience and her simply opening her blouse (Presumably wearing a body-stocking or leotard underneath). The cast can be expanded from 10 to 20 or more depending on doubling.  The play is by David Pomerantz and it's published by Samuel French

You seem fond of literary thrillers and ghost stories so check out The Haunting of Hill House, adapted by Andrew Leslie from the novel by Shirley Jackson (Dramatists Play Service). You might also check out The Innocents by Archibald MacLeish, adapted from Henry James' The Turn of the Screw (also Samuel French) although the cast is small and mostly female. 

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 20.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-07-2017 16:36
    And Then They Came for Me.
    Teenage life of 2 survivors with actors playing their complete families interacting with excerpts of interviews of the survivors in late 90s.  Helmuth Silverberg (Hello from the Diaries) who was Anne Frank's 1st boyfriend and Eva Geringer, who was Anne's girlfriend and who's family was betrayed too.

65 minutes...15 characters...incredibly moving...

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 21.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-13-2017 19:24

We just finished performing a show called "The Track Home" by Kari Catton. The story is based on the Orphan Train and real survivors of the train. The kids really enjoyed it because it pertains to real life stories. It was well attended and the kids also got to meet and talk to a descendent of one of the survivors before one of the shows. It taught the kids that it was really not an easy life back then, and came away feeling more appreciative of what they have these days. www.bigdogpublishing

Brad Kepler

Casa Grande Union High School, Az

• 22.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-14-2017 18:04
    Sent from my iPad

• 23.  RE: Favorite historical or literary drama?

Posted 11-14-2017 11:51
    Creating my list of plays to read as we speak.
    Thank you for this thread.

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX