Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Question about theater conferences.

Posted 05-09-2016 18:41

Hi all.  My wife Marti and I are looking to attend more conferences this year, and would like to know if there are some teacher oriented, secondary/middle school conferences besides the following conferences:

EdTA  (September)

Texas Educational Theatre Association (TETA, January)

Texas Educational Theatre Association (TETA) Summer Conference

Florida Association for Theatre Education  (FATE, October)

North Carolina Theater Arts Educators   (NCTAE, September)

American Alliance for Theatre & Education  (AATE, Summer)

Council of Ontario Drama and Dance Educators  (CODE) 

Southeast Theatre Conference  (SETC, January)

California Educational Theatre Association  (CETA, October)

We are looking for conferences that geared towards teachers, have exhibitors and the possibility of teaching workshops.  We've heard about conferences like the Yankee Conference, and several others, but haven't been able to find any info on any of them.

Thanks!

Bob and Marti Fowler

• 2.  RE: Question about theater conferences.

Posted 05-10-2016 07:23

Don't know where you are in the country, but, being in Michigan, I've enjoyed the teacher's conference in Stratford, Ontario many times.  Sadly, it often is very near or even the same weekend as the EdTA conference, which makes it hard to do both.

Good workshops, charming city, and two plays included.

http://www.tflc.ca/

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 3.  RE: Question about theater conferences.

Posted 05-11-2016 14:00

The Washington State Thespians have an In-service day in October in the Seattle area usually. You might check with the powers that be.

Warren

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 4.  RE: Question about theater conferences.

Posted 05-10-2016 09:20

I am a huge advocate for the Southeastern Theatre Conference. I am the Vice-Chair of the Theatre for Youth Division and we have several workshops that are geared toward working with youth. We also have a teacher's institute every year. The convention is held every March and the next one will be March 1-5 in Lexington, Kentucky. Please let me know if you would like more information about SETC. 

I also attend One Theatre World. This conference is orchestrated by TYA/USA and is held every other year. The next one will be in the Bay Area in May 2017! Let me know if you would like more information about this conference too. 

-Riley

W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN