Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  CHICAGO warning note

Posted 11-28-2017 12:40
    I am finishing up the poster design for an upcoming production of CHICAGO. I feel compelled to use a note of warning on  such as "This material may not be suitable for children of all ages" or something like that.

For SWEENEY TODD and THE PRODUCERS I used "This show may not be suitable for children under the age of 13" which allowed parents to make their own decision.

I want to avoid using the PG, PG-13, R ratings that the MPAA uses for movies. I don't think they apply to live theatre. 

Those who have already done CHICAGO, did you use a warning like this? If so, what was the wording? Did it help you stave off any criticism that you know about? Or was it a lightning rod?

I look forward to many insightful responses.

------------------------------
    Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 2.  RE: CHICAGO warning note

Posted 11-28-2017 21:00
    While I haven't directed "Chicago," in similar situations, I like the language of "intended for mature audiences."  It makes your intention clear (you aren't promoting it as an all-ages show) but allows individual audience members to make up their own minds about attending or skipping.

I'm curious to see what other ideas people have.

Meg O'Connor
    theatre artist on a mission
    oconnormainstage.com

• 3.  RE: CHICAGO warning note

Posted 11-29-2017 08:41
    We have language on posters and promotions similar to what you mention.  "This play is intended for adult audiences," or "This play is intended for student of high school age and older."  I typically support the statement with some notes in the program as for the justification for the selection of the show as well.

Anecdote - A couple students of mine recently attended a show without such a "warning" with their younger sibling and said they would have left the sibling at home "if they would have known about what was in the play."  

Regarding a lightning rod?  As long as admin and stakeholders are in the know, I think you are fine.  With the other two titles mentioned, it seems like your audience is already primed for this type of show.

Break legs!

Ryan McCoy
    Director of Theatre
    Topeka West High School
    Topeka KS

• 4.  RE: CHICAGO warning note

Posted 11-29-2017 10:52
    Hi there,

The theatre company at my undergrad had a lot of fun with content warning signs! We never received pushback about content as long as we posted content warnings on the door. We took it as an opportunity to be as humorous as possible, and approached it as a creative writing/dramaturgical project. When I directed DOG SEES GOD, we were very proud that the content warning was the entire length of the door.

Here's an example, from their recent production of AMADEUS:

A NOTE TO OUR PATRONS
    Peter Shaffer's Amadeus depicts the rivalry between the eighteenth century composers Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Antonio Salieri. This play is a fictional representation of that rivalry and the nature of the events which unfold in it concerning these famous musicians has been disputed by cultural historians and Mozart devotees since the work first opened in London in 1979. Patrons wishing to challenge its depiction of Mozart as a smut-talking spoiled child should understand that the management of Leedy Theater neither endorses nor condemns Mr. Shaffer's characterization of the great composer; therefore, such Mozart aficionados should consult a spirit medium to complain to the author, who died last year at the age of 90.

Amadeus, consequently, contains controversial material which may shock or offend some patrons. There are extensive passages of eighteenth century profanity, discussions of sexual activity, and graphic depictions of highly immoral and partisan political intrigue scattered throughout the action.  In addition, ongoing confrontations between its principal character and God in which traditional doctrines of the Roman Catholic version of the Christian faith are challenged (especially the doctrine of salvation through good works) may cause some audience members to find this thematic dispute to be of a blasphemous nature.

Patrons are also advised that Amadeus contains several disturbing events which are of a nature that may affect audience members who have recently experienced family trauma. Lastly, members of the public who have a deep-seated aversion to classical music may find themselves brutalized by repeated exposures to some of the most brilliant music ever composed.

Enjoy the show!

I'll see if they still have access to the CHICAGO warning. 

Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: CHICAGO warning note

Posted 11-29-2017 12:11
    I directed Proof in October and we put a warning on our poster that it contained adult subjects and language. We also posted a sign at the box office that had a warning. My front of house crew also alerted any audience members who brought kids, in case they had not seen the poster. We only got one complaint from an audience member, it was just that she didn't like the "We're scientists, so there was a lot of experimentation" joke Hal makes.

I think if you just put a warning, you should be fine.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 6.  RE: CHICAGO warning note

Posted 11-29-2017 14:30
    I have done a number of shows with mature content in the past few years and had to deal with this.  I think the biggest issue for my community, outside of Seattle, is just knowing in advance if they should bring their children.  Here is what I do:

1.  I put INTENDED FOR MATURE AUDIENCES on the poster 
    2.  I post the warning at the box office, I add more information.  Like mature subjects and language, violence etc.  
    3.  My front of house people make sure people with children saw it and offer any information.

4.  I also offered curriculum to the middle schools in our area when I did BRING IT ON and left everything in, but the stereotyping and biases people have need to be examined.  So I wrote curriculum and offered reduced price seats.  I also have offered explanations of some of the more mature pieces I have done.

Jennifer Grajewski
    Director/Drama & Technical Theatre Instructor
    Kent School District
    Kent WA

• 7.  RE: CHICAGO warning note

Posted 11-30-2017 09:29
    "Lastly, members of the public who have a deep-seated aversion to classical music may find themselves brutalized by repeated exposures to some of the most brilliant music ever composed." 

That is, I think, one of the best disclaimers I've ever read. :) 

On another note, when we did the Friedman and Timbers version of "Love's Labour's Lost," we put out a short disclaimer, but I also wrote a Director's Note (which I don't normally do) that acknowledged the drinking, drugs, sex, and language, but played up the positive(ish) message of the show. 

Though, when we did "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson" I don't think we had much of a disclaimer (just a short one on the posters) and no one really batted an eye. So who knows... 

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 8.  RE: CHICAGO warning note

Posted 12-01-2017 07:43
    When I directed The Heidi Chronicles at a community college some years ago we posted this at the box office, the door to the theatre and in the announcement mailed out: "WARNING: this Pulitzer-Prize-winning play contains contemporary language that may be offensive to some theatre-goers." No walk-outs or complaints.

Arlene Hutton
    The Barrow Group
    New York, NY

• 9.  RE: CHICAGO warning note

Posted 12-03-2017 12:08
    Some form of notice B4 they get to the theatre and maybe more detail once they arrive is nice at the HS level. 

Sometimes, though people should be pissed at what we do...  (insert social change soapbox meme here.)  while at the same time keeping our job...

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 10.  RE: CHICAGO warning note

Posted 12-07-2017 10:02
    ​Good stuff here.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer