Open Forum

View Only

National boards

• 1.  National boards

Posted 09-16-2017 07:56
    I recently attended a brief workshop on national board certification. When the facilitator asked us to find our content on the website, I could not find anything about theatre. Has anyone here been national board certified as a theatre teacher? Is it possible to do?

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 2.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-17-2017 07:49
    It is under Career and Technical Education. I recently renewed mine and theatre is more clearly addressed in the revisions from a few years back. It's not a perfect fit, but it does work.

------------------------------
    Timothy Brown
    Theatre Teacher
    Greenville County Schools
    Travelers Rest SC

• 3.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-18-2017 07:52
    Would I need to already be CTE certified to pursue NBCT in CTE? Having CTE for theatre classes is a new thing in Denver. Not many people know the ins and outs for this however a group of us are pursuing it together this year.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 4.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-19-2017 05:11
    You do not need to be designated CTE. I suspect you are considered to be a Visual and Fine Arts teacher and not part of the CTE department within your school. The good news is that theatre teachers do a lot of CTE naturally. For NBC, you will simply live within this domain of CTE. While you can do it through English, Music, etc. the place for Theatre is in this area (It is undoubtedly listed and included in the CTE narrative) -- CTE (Arts and Communication). Still, you'll need to dig a little to find the paragraphs directly related to theatre. When I first completed this in 2006, I did have to look up some CTE-based practices to make theatre fit, but I think these have gotten more aligned in the revisions. What doesn't resonant with you can be developed with a little inquiry. I know tons of theatre teachers who have been successful with this, so don't hesitate.

Timothy Brown
    Theatre Teacher
    Greenville County Schools
    Travelers Rest SC

• 5.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-17-2017 10:44
    I am National Board Certified - in English - but I've served on committees as they tweak the expectations of various subject areas. I think they are all doable, but they do take time and a lot of effort. However, I can honestly say I've become more aware of how and what I teach since I've been certified. Go for it! You won't regret it.

Ellen Augustine
    Language Arts Instructor/Theater Director
    Goshen IN

• 6.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-17-2017 10:44
    They will direct you to get board certified in English. There's no certification in theatre. If you're also able to teach music or art you can get board certified in those areas. 
    --
    Sent from Gmail Mobile

• 7.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-17-2017 11:12
    Saw an article about this on the website last year. Will see if I can find it. An EdTA member did her NBCT through the CTE pathway as she felt it was a best fit. Not all states have an endorsement in Theatre, which contributes to this.

• 8.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-17-2017 11:14
    NBCT for Theatre is under CTE. I really thought it was a good fit because the entries helped me to formulate the writing toward Theatre as a Career. When you formulate lessons for entries think in relationship to jobs at a regional theatre, costume designer, marketing, stage manager. I always do a lesson in Advanced Performance where actors use the equity pay scale to formulate a yearly salary base . I also use the difference pay scales with relationship to LORT, etc. 

Michael Payne, M.Ed.
    Salt Lake School for the Performing Arts
    Department Chair
    NBCT, Arts and Communication
    Salt Lake City UT

• 9.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-18-2017 07:43
    I am currently doing this in CTE.  It's absolutely a good match.  I'd love to see that lesson on pay scales if you are willing to share.

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 10.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-18-2017 11:24
    I received my board certification in Theater through CTE Arts & Communications last year.  Since then, they have tweaked the standards, but one of the struggles I had (like Scott) was finding someone like myself that was already NBTS certified because we were nestled under CTE.  Most of the people I reached out to at the beginning of my process were school technology librarians and not theater teachers.   If you have received your National Board certification through CTE, Arts & Communications and are a full time, exclusively high school theater educator, could you reply to this thread so that other people like Scott can find us?  EdTA, are you interested in beginning a data base of us so that mentees can find mentors more easily?  National Boards and my state organization told me that they didn't have a data breakdown that served that purpose when I asked four years ago.  
    --
    Hope Hynes Love
    Theater Teacher
    East Chapel Hill High School
    500 Weaver Dairy Road
    Chapel Hill, NC 27514
    work-919-969-2482 x 27500 (before 1:00 p.m)
    fax-919-969-2491
    cell-919-308-3133 (after 1:00 p.m.)

"I've done some research and reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.  I can take it in small doses, but as a lifestyle, I find it way too confining."  Jane Wagner, Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe

All mail correspondence to and from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.

• 11.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-19-2017 20:53
    It's really awesome to see this conversation develop from where it was a few years ago where, if you wanted to get NBPT certified, as a theatre teacher it was 'do English' and that was it, with no hope on the horizon for its own category. That being said, and having done the English certification, I would have much preferred to do it under the CTE designation, though Florida's Department of Education does not currently classify theatre as a CTE subject (some schools do place Theatre with the CTE department, others with English). 

English and Theatre education is different, and I agree with the previous poster's comments about it being more in line with CTE. 

If you can find a mentor online who is CTE (theatre) certified, that would be the best path. The NBPTS certification travels well (better than my Florida teaching license), and can usually mean a higher salary. However, the real benefit is in the process of analyzing and deeply reflecting on your practice and working out the why and the how of what you teach, and your students truly will be better off. It is hard work, but I do believe they have made it more modular so its not so bone-crushingly traumatic if you want to breathe a little whilst completing it. 

Good luck! Pursue!!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 12.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-20-2017 09:25
    I am quite curious about this topic. What is the advantage to having National Board Certification?

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 13.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-20-2017 15:36
    I am very interested in this as well!  Is someone willing to send me more information?

Lisa Ronca
    Huxley IA

• 14.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-20-2017 16:02
    Advantages to having National Board are:

1. Deep analysis of one's own teaching practice and having to write about it, which is a reward unto itself and not something we regularly do to ourselves unless we need to.

2. Some districts/states will pay a differential bonus when you have National Board Certification. For my district, national board certified teachers received an extra $1,000, and those who worked at a Renaissance school (super high poverty schools where free and reduced lunch was over 74%) received an extra $4,500 (on top of the $1,000). Which is a nice bump, let's be frank.

3. The ability to say "I'm a National Board of Professional Teaching Standards certified teacher". Or "I'm National Board Certified." It's nice if you like that sort of thing. Like being able to say "I'm Dr. Jimmy Hoffa" once you get your doctorate. Well, if you're Jimmy Hoffa, that is. If you're name's Sidney Brustien you're going to look a little silly telling everyone you're Dr. Jimmy Hoffa, but I digress. 

4. Often times National Board is seen as one of the two choices you make if you want to further your career in teaching and education specifically. The other choice is getting some sort of Masters degree in Educational Leadership. NB focuses intently on your daily classroom practice, but I have seen it open doors for those who wish to go further into advocacy and being 'teacher leaders' in their various disciplines. 

5. Some people just want the pay bump. 

6. Whatever reason you do it for, it's a challenge, and your teaching practice will get better having gone through it.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 15.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-20-2017 11:44
    Is there any hope, though, of NBPTS certifying theatre as its own subject?  I've posed this question many times over the years, in many forums, including here, and my experiences in asking have not made me very hopeful on this point.  

I feel that the legitimacy of our discipline is undermined when we are not considered on par with our colleagues in music and visual art, i.e. a legitimate artform unto itself.

Having said that, I'm glad that people are finding a way to make the CTE pathway work for them.  Seems like NBPTS has made efforts in the last few years to make this a more viable option.  To me it just seems like an awful lot of work unless it's a perfect fit.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 16.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-20-2017 19:31
    The CTE pathway is Theatre specific, CTE is merely an umbrella under which Theatre falls.  You don't have to change what you teach, you just have to speak about it in relation to how it pertains to a career.  For example, you teach voice and speech, why do you do this?  So those students who would like to be performers, i.e. have a career in theatre, know what they're doing.  I suggest taking a look at it because I feel confident that you would feel pretty satisfied that we've been included.

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 17.  RE: National boards

Posted 09-22-2017 09:29
    In answer to Ryan Moore's inquiry about why they aren't specific standards for Theater (and Dance, by the way) the most honest, off the record, answer I got after repeated calls with the same inquiry to the NC National Boards office was this---there aren't enough numbers of theatrical and dance secondary educators, nationally, for the cost of the development of these specific standards to be economically viable for the organization.   And it is doable with the CTE standards, although I found some of the questions in the written, timed portion to be less than suited to the unique properties of my program.  Otherwise, the standards for CTE Arts and Communication were so generally focused on the structure and thinking around your pedagogy that is was a successful work around.   And again, they tweaked them to take us (specifically theater educators) under consideration.  Here's the link to the EdTa blog post about this very issue: https://www.schooltheatre.org/blogs/kristin-hamilton/2015/04/16/theatre-and-national-board-certification

Hope Love