Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Modern Satire

Posted 09-08-2016 08:34

Anyone have suggestions for a modern satire play that would work in a high school? I need a decently large cast without tons of guys (or with the ability to cross-gender cast). A little bit edgy is fine as long as it's still high school appropriate. An update of a classic is also fine. Or a good translation of a classic that still feels relevant. I'm considering Don Zolidis' The Election or The Birds, so something along those lines. I'm leaning strongly towards The Green Bird as our other show, as we do two shows in rep.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Modern Satire

Posted 09-08-2016 14:17

Don Zolidis' The Birds is great! One of our biggest selling shows. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Modern Satire

Posted 09-09-2016 14:58

Have you thought of Thornton Wilder's The Skin Of Our Teeth?  It's challenging from the acting to the tech, but incredibly rewarding as it presents many opportunities for working on acting style, script analysis, and ensemble performance.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 4.  RE: Modern Satire

Posted 09-10-2016 12:12

Learned Ladies, Moliere, adapted and translated by Freyda Thomas

You get rhymed iambic pentameter with modern language and a satire of false pretensions and education. It was done on Broadway in modern dress, but it could work in period too. You could also emphasize the commedia elements and teach that.

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA