Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pugsly bed of nails

Posted 03-07-2017 19:05
    I am directing Addams Family and would like Pugsley’s bed to be a simulated bed of nails. Any ideas out there about how to do this safely?
    Thanks

• 2.  RE: Pugsly bed of nails

Posted 03-08-2017 08:18
    Hi, We are doing this show this summer, so i will be interested to see what people do, but on a whim I came up with a thought of getting fake grass and paint it silver, so its really just lying on fake grass but could look like nails, and you could thin it out if needed.   Decorative | Ornamental Wheat Grass - Fake Plastic Artificial Wheatgrass
    Trueleafmarket remove preview
    Decorative | Ornamental Wheat Grass - Fake Plastic Artificial Wheatgrass
    Decorative Plastic Artificial Wheatgrass - Perfect for ornamental useds. Fake, plastic wheatgrass squares can be cut down or connected together
    View this on Trueleafmarket >

This way you don't have to glue individual pieces down too. I guess you could also get think rubber tubes and glue them individually. Seems like more work though. 

------------------------------
    Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 3.  RE: Pugsly bed of nails

Posted 03-09-2017 07:19
    That might be interesting do with the grass, the only problem I see is that it is it moves, nails wouldn't, possibly you could use a platform and use grilling sticks on the outside for perceived nails make them flush with the top of the platform, across the top of the platform you could paint dots on a wall matching background if  you want, or you could toss a fake fur cover on the top so only part is seen, about 1/2" spacing on the perceived nails on the seen sides should do it.

That's all I can come up with 

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: Pugsly bed of nails

Posted 03-09-2017 09:58
    While I didn't use it for Pugsley's bed (we made it a pull-out drawer - like a morgue - with "Thing's" drawer above), I did have a "bed of nails" casket on our set.  It wasn't planned, but when one of my cast showed up with a donated "spikey" foam mattress, I just had to use it.  We painted it gray and the foamy spikes did the rest.  No pain - it was quite comfy, and my ancestors fought to be the one "laid to rest" in the casket propped up in Gomez' man-cave.

A quick Google search of "foam mattress" will pull up images of what I'm talking about - you just need to find one cheap (or free, like I did.).

Jan Romans
    Theatre Director
    South Lyon High School
    South Lyon MI

• 5.  RE: Pugsly bed of nails

Posted 03-09-2017 20:42
    Thank you everyone for the ideas and links. I wish I had incorporated the morgue drawer into my set design. I think I might just have him on a platform with Morticia strapping him down instead of tucking him in, maybe a neck cradle for a pillow. This is such a fun show.

Ron G

[Ron] [Gingerich]
    [Drama Teacher]
    [Phoenix] [AZ]